Hairdressers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clholliday1992

Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me find a hairdresser in my area or mobile that doesn't charge a bomb! I had really short hair and now its grown. I need it on a style. I haven't had it cut for 15months. Im scared of someone taking it all off! Im in the Nottingham area. Any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek mobile app

If money is an object, contact your local hairdressing training college, or go along to a model training night at local hairdressers.

As a professional beauty therapist yourself, I'm not sure you'd be best pleased someone coming into beauty and asking for someone to do cheap nails, because they've only got short nails not long ones!!!

Time, expertise, product, skill all cost £ I'm afraid! :)

Good luck finding someone.

I cannot for the life of me find a hairdresser in my area or mobile that doesn't charge a bomb! I had really short hair and now its grown. I need it on a style. I haven't had it cut for 15months. Im scared of someone taking it all off! Im in the Nottingham area. Any suggestions?

This is quite possibly the most insulting thing I have ever read. Even more so as I am in your area and so happen to know that there are some "cheap" stylists in the city centre. Makes me wonder just how little you feel years of training and dedication is worth in comparison to your own income.
Turn it around
"Therapist. Why cant I find a beauty therapist who will give up her/his time for next to nothing because I dont feel they are worth it. Oh but I still want them to give me the best nails ever because ive not had them done for 15 months and they are a right mess (therefore more work!"

just me ;)

I agree with both replies. What amount do you consider 'a bomb'?
I would be worried if a hairdresser was charging next to nothing. Think how much you get paid an hour, then think of the training hairdressers go through, the equipment and the products they buy. For us mobile hairdressers the petrol too!
Its not something just anybody can do and if your hair is important to you then I know I would rather pay that bit more and know that it will be how i want it!

But if you're just looking for a cheap cut you should go to a college as suggested. If you ring up you can find out if they need certain cuts, they're watched at all times so cant really go wrong x

Im interested in what you consider 'a bomb'?
One haircut in 15 months is hardly spending a fortune on your hair is it?

You could always cut it yourself for free if you object to paying somebody else to do it.

Have you said this to get a rise out of the professionals here?

I can't believe a beauty professional would actually say this.

Are you even a beauty therapist or a professional..??

Are you all kidding? Get of your high horses. Everyone's income is different. Everyone's idea of how much they want to spent on there hair is different. The OP was not attacking anyone personally so why such nasty responses. The first reply was the only helpful suggestion, colleges etc.

This is not necessary.

Awful behaviour.

P

Honestly????

Yes honestly. Pauline, I want you do give me a really good manicure as I havent touched my nails for 15 months but I dont think you are worth paying "a bomb" for.
I live in Notts and if the OP thinks that £16 in the city center (there are several salons who charge this and freely advertise) is too much, then how little does she think our services are worth?

just me ;)

Yes honestly. Pauline, I want you do give me a really good manicure as I havent touched my nails for 15 months but I dont think you are worth paying "a bomb" for.
I live in Notts and if the OP thinks that £16 in the city center (there are several salons who charge this and freely advertise) is too much, then how little does she think our services are worth?

just me ;)
Nearlyme,

I wouldn't take it so personally and I'm surprised but happy that's the most insulting thing you've ever read.

Are you all kidding? Get of your high horses. Everyone's income is different. Everyone's idea of how much they want to spent on there hair is different. The OP was not attacking anyone personally so why such nasty responses. The first reply was the only helpful suggestion, colleges etc.

This is not necessary.

Awful behaviour.

P

In what way is my reply 'nasty' ? X

Hey everyone I was wondering if you could help me, I am doing a client later on tonight and she has got really patchy hair (colour wise) she has got dark brown, light brown and even some green spots through it because she has dyed it that much! I matched her darkest colour up with my shade chart and I told her that tint only lifts 3 shades. She now wants to be lifted up to 88/0 Koleston perfect and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this will work out with 12% developer? Thanks in advance. x

In what way is my reply 'nasty' ? X

Unfortunately by agreeing with nasty replies you are contributing to the negative response.

Unfortunately by agreeing with nasty replies you are contributing to the negative response.

Excuse me. In no way way my reply "nasty". Just because my opinion is different from yours you have no right to accuse me of being nasty. Nasty to me is telling people to "get off their high horse" for defending every hairdresser out there whos trade is being undervalued.

just me ;)

I really don't think the op was meaning to offend anyone but maybe it could of been written abit differently.
So.... To answer the actual question, I would either go along to the local college and get it done by a level 3 student or ring local salons and see if they have any student night's where you can get it done cheaper I've noticed lots of local salons asking for models in their windows
Hth :)

I really cannot believe some of these comments!!! And people wonder why hairdressers get the name bitchy!!! You need to chill out.
How on earth is this insulting to the professional hairdresser? She didn't ask any of you to do it cheap, she might have seen hairdressers charging £55+ for a cut and didn't want to pay that much! Jeeeez

I'd get intouch with your local college or see if you could do a trade swap with a local hairdresser, You do their beauty and they do your hair. Xx

The main problem here is the OP implies she wants someone skilled... She's obviously nervous and hasn't had a haircut for a while.... I would feel sorry for a student who has a client that wants it cheap but is also nervous and fussy...

I charge a lot because...... I'm worth it.!

Excuse me. In no way way my reply "nasty". Just because my opinion is different from yours you have no right to accuse me of being nasty. Nasty to me is telling people to "get off their high horse" for defending every hairdresser out there whos trade is being undervalued.

just me ;)

Our opinion obviously differs when it comes down to being rude and derogatory (nasty). Shall we agree to disagree.

Thing is, you get what you pay for in a salon in terms of skills and experience. This was something I didn't really appreciate until I began training.

If you pay the basic stylist rate in a salon, you will generally get someone who is probably recently qualified (level 2) with limited experience and less skilled at cutting. However, they will cut the basic styles perfectly adequately but anything more fashion forward may be out of their depth.

If you pay for a more experienced senior stylist, you are paying for someone with a greater skill set and probably more experience.

Therefore, if you are trying to save money, rather than choose the cheapest stylist at a high end salon, you could try a more experienced stylist at a less expensive salon.

Nottingham (and Mansfield) has some amazing award winning professionals whose work regularly appears in the Trade magazines. The choice available is immense. Wish I still lived there!

I've used two hairdressers in the past couple of years one I paid £23 cut and blowdry and the other I paid £40.
The one salon I was left at reception whilst the owner and stylist finished they're cups of tea and never said a word to me, I was then washed with cheap shampoo and conditioner, then left for 20 minutes with soaking wet hair whilst the stylist put her daughter's colour on 'hope you don't mind but she's got to get to work' I then had my hair cut and dried and the one side was longer than the other.
At the other salon I was greeted at reception, asked if I wanted a drink, then the stylist walked me over to the chair, did a consultation, then walked me to the backwash, used professional shampoos, gave me a conditioning treatment in a massage chair whilst watching the plasma tv, then gave me a great haircut.
Yes there was £17 difference but I was treated alot differently and I definitely got what I paid for.
I'm sure you can guess which salon I use ;)

Latest posts

Back