Having hair stripped, will it all snap off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxie

Reaction score
Hi after getting advice on here to see a professional, i am due on tues to have my waist length 10 year dyed black hair striped n dyed brown or red.

The strand test has been done and im told it can go ahead but hairdresser then mrntioned it dryin out and needing a trim for split ends after. My hair has no split ends and is in excellent condition. She said with time and right products it can get back to how it is now!

Im really scared of ruining my hair and having loads cut off. Im nearly 30 and dnt want black hair anymore.

Will it be ok? Am i fretting over nothing or is my hair going to end up like straw? Its not cheap either nearing £200 with cut stripping and full head colour and glossing treatment. Does that sound right. I dnt mind paying but my hair needs to look good after.

Help do i do it or do i spend the next decade growing it out

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Hi Roxie

Do you know if the hairdresser is bleach bathing your hair to lighten it or using a special colour remover product?

A lot of hairdressers say stripping when they mean bleach bathing but not all do. Bleach bathing will obviously damage the hair to some extent whereas a good quality remover usually leaves the hair in good condition.

Also, what sort of black tint have you been using? Box dye or pro range?

If you've used a box dye on your hair and especially if any of the hair has been retouched by successive colour treatments when you touch up the roots, your hair's condition may well be compromised, but you probably can't tell that easily yourself unless it was particularly dry or felt rough to touch. Each hair has a life cycle of approximately 7 years and as yours is very long, the ends are likely to be about 7 years old and think how many times they've been washed, blow dried, straightened etc?

You would need to do porosity and elasticity tests to establish it's condition.

Box dyes (especially XXL range) are notoriously difficult to remove evenly and you could end up with patchy results.

However, you're paying a premium price so I assume that they will be using a remover on it, or several boxes of remover, as it's very long hair. The professional quality remover products are not cheap to buy.

hi thanks for your reply.

ihave used various brands of box dyes. :mad:

i presume its a bleach bath as when she did strand test she said she had lifted it in foil?

elasticity and porosity is really good.

i dont blow dry my hair only my fringe and never used straigteners.

Hi , I wouldnt fancy stripping 10 years of dark dye , id think that they would need to do it 3 or 4 times gently to get a good result on hair that length and I dont think thats recommended all in one go . Yes it will damage your hair .Did they not suggest a plan of action working on it over a period of time to let it recover and grow( and be trimmed )?

But I guess with this kind of thing maybe its like biting the bullet or having the same thing for the next 10 years.

I am not a hair pro just want to add my experience as like you I had black hair (XXL black colour) for the past 10years and few months ago I had enough of black and wanted my original colour back which is brown.
My hairdresser did an amazing job - stripping the colour off and then dying it brown.

The first time it didn't come out brown - it was redish but she told me to come back in a week and she put the same colour on again - it came out nice and brown and very even.

My hair isn't damaged at all.

My only issue is that this colour fades quite quickly, it's only even for the first 2 weeks or so and then it's a mix of brown and red.
Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread but is there anything that can be done to avoid this?

Hi , I wouldnt fancy stripping 10 years of dark dye , id think that they would need to do it 3 or 4 times gently to get a good result on hair that length and I dont think thats recommended all in one go . Yes it will damage your hair .Did they not suggest a plan of action working on it over a period of time to let it recover and grow( and be trimmed )?

But I guess with this kind of thing maybe its like biting the bullet or having the same thing for the next 10 years.

hi thanks for your reply.

no it is being done in a day. no plan just change colour trim it on day and me using products to get it back to condition and going back every five weeks for regrowth.

is there another way without stripping it. shall i leave it to fade and grow out? or could you dye roots dark brown and grow out? im so confused and briking it :irked: :)

Question is , since your hair is waist length , would it be a problem if they had to cut it off say to bra strap length if the colour takes unevenly? I would stress that the condition of your hair is paramont , and if it looks like its going pearshaped then to call it quits and have a semi on to even out the colour and try again later -maybe when the roots have come through.
Colour correction isnt cut and dry , there are alot of variables to consider so what may work for one person may not work for another , but I wouldnt give up , it may just take patience.

Latest posts

Back