Head hurts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marion

Reaction score
Could I ask everyone about my head??
I have been getting a high lift tint for over a year and half, every 5-6 weeks. Lovely blonde colour, very happy with it.

The problem is the pain on my scalp. It's like it is damaged and stingy to touch. It happens every time I get my colour done. It is bearable, but I'm worried it will get worse each time I get the colour done.
Any ideas?

I have been getting a high lift tint for over a year and half, every 5-6 weeks. Lovely blonde colour, very happy with it.

The problem is the pain on my scalp. It's like it is damaged and stingy to touch. It happens every time I get my colour done. It is bearable, but I'm worried it will get worse each time I get the colour done.
Any ideas?
I had this for a while before my terrible hairdye/chemical allergy burst out...

Any ideas?

Do u have it coloured with freshly washed hair?

I washed my hair two days ago

I used to get the same. It could be the colour hasn't been rinse thoroughly try washing your hair with Luke warm water not to much running as this will only aggravate it more, or as it has just been washed rinse for 10 minutes with Luke warm water and apply some conditioner and rinse again food luck cx

It starts to it itch and get sore a fee minutes after its put on. I know this can be normal, but it doesn't seem right that my hair is still sore for a couple of days after. My scalp is a little pink too

Sounds like maybe peroxide too high xx

It starts to it itch and get sore a fee minutes after its put on. I know this can be normal, but it doesn't seem right that my hair is still sore for a couple of days after. My scalp is a little pink too

Best thing to get is matrix cooling mint conditioner I bleach mine every 2 weeks and finish off with this after shampooing and leave on for 10/15 mins x

Any ideas?

Pour milk on your scalp, someone told me to do it and I laughed, then had my hair bleached in the salon with blondor which killed but lifted to a luminous yellow so I had to bleach again because toning wouldn't have been sufficient, poured some milk over my head after as it was red raw, left for a few mins then shampooed and it didn't even feel like it had been bleached once!

Camomile lotion, or something with a cooling sensation, maybe try having a conditioning treatment after the colour to help ''base'' the scalp. Also next time tell your stylist about this, and as said before the peroxide might be too high :) Perry I love the idea of milk haha :D

thanks for all your replies. I will try them all, only problem is the beautiful blow dry i dont want to ruin. Ii will mention the peroxide level to my salon, altho i guess they need to use it to get my hair lifted to the blonde i like.

Ask your salon if they do a scalp lotion that is applied before a tint or bleach it stops the sensitivity. Wella do one It's a calming lotion, clients do get sensitive scalps wih high lift and 12% but it shouldn't be sore for days xx

Do u have it coloured with freshly washed hair?

Marion the same thing happens to me and the itch is unbearable when they apply my colour.

I wash my hair almost every day, so usually have freshly washed hair when I get my colour done... the last time I didn't and my head felt grand, so should we not have freshly washed hair when we get our colour done then?

I actually had a very sore head for a while and then realised I had burnt my own head when blow drying my hair... then when they applied the colour it made it 100 times worse.

God the things we do for beauty!!

Marion the same thing happens to me and the itch is unbearable when they apply my colour.

I wash my hair almost every day, so usually have freshly washed hair when I get my colour done... the last time I didn't and my head felt grand, so should we not have freshly washed hair when we get our colour done then?

I actually had a very sore head for a while and then realised I had burnt my own head when blow drying my hair... then when they applied the colour it made it 100 times worse.

God the things we do for beauty!!

Your scalp has natural oils to protect it, washing your hair removes these oils therefore there is no barrier between your scalp and hair colour...leave your hair as long as possible before having it coloured :)

it it is advised not to shampoo hair 24 hours in advance.

Havent heard of it here but when I worked overseas I knew of a client who would take Antihistamines a day or so before her colour. Heard of a few beauticians recommending it to help calm redness from waxing (a little unrelated I know)

Havent heard of it here but when I worked overseas I knew of a client who would take Antihistamines a day or so before her colour. Heard of a few beauticians recommending it to help calm redness from waxing (a little unrelated I know)

Antihistamines being anti allergy will only help the client if they have a slight allergy to ppd...if the irritation is down to a highlift tint or global bleach, it won't help x

I have a client who is super sensitive but is really insistent that I still do the colour. I mix in 2 sachets of Equal artificial sweetener. This works really well, I have no idea how or why, it may even be psychosomatic. The idea is not my own I got it from hairdressers in the US.
We also use milk after hi-lift services to calm the scalp, ultimately though if this continues to be an issue, you should really rethink continuing to colour your hair lighter before you experience toxic overload and effecting your lymphatic system.
I striped out my level 4 artificially coloured hair to a very nice and natural looking level 9 neutral/cool blonde, all in one day. Several full bleaching ( more than recommended in one day ) Great colour it was even shiny, no signs I had O.D-ed not even the slightest irritation. But The next day I wasn't feeling so crash hot and the lymph nodes in my neck had swollen. A doctor friend told me I was lucky it didn't get any worse.
Now I can barely stand semi colour on my scalp, I even get hot and feel sick having a toner, I am naturally blonde and get the ends bleached sometimes and I am no fan of yellow.
So the moral to the story is being blonde isn't worth the long term effects it may end up having.

Your scalp has natural oils to protect it, washing your hair removes these oils therefore there is no barrier between your scalp and hair colour...leave your hair as long as possible before having it coloured :)

Well that makes complete sense, I wish I'd have known that!

Thank you so much!! :hug:

My scalp got badly damaged a few years ago to the point of bleeding and blisters the next day, after seeing the doctor I was given betnovate scalp application. Maybe speak to the doctor and ask about that or it's generic name being betamethasone valerate.
I'm still using it regularly now 4 years later. I don't get te blisters often and not bread afterwards, but still get a dry scalp but this helps with the stinging, the pain when going to bed due to pressure of te head on the scalp on the pillow, and really gets rid of itchiness that will only make it work. Xoxo

Latest posts

Back