Headlice.... Did I do the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr1ncess

Reaction score
Hi all I kind of need a bit of advice and reassurance.... From a business and professional point of view. Today I was about to do a lady's hair for her wedding reception ( she got married abroad weeks ago ) I was also doing her two daughters hair who are young girls 8 and 12 now I had taken a half day at the salon to do this and went to their house only for my new client to say the eldest has nits? I said that I was unfortunately unable to do her hair due to cross contamination, as I have always been taught this at college and while working in various salons. The client then said that if I couldn't do her daughters she didn't want any of their hair done. I kindly explained that id taken half a day off and if I had been told I before I would have told her and that I couldn't have done it she gave me £40 which was half of the cost then She got upset and so I felt sooo bad (I've been the stressed bride too!) did I do the right thing or do morals take over at this point? The problem is I'm now trying to set up on my own and I'm so worried about getting caught up in all this 'where theres a Blame there's a claim' please help guys I felt so alone and unsure! I'm usually quite good at these things and my husband made it worse by saying I've prob ruined her day!!!! :(

Nope !!! 100% i would not have done it, she still could have her hair done it was her choice not to, so she technically ruined the day not you :)

Xxx Louisex

I think you did the right thing. You don't work on infected hair and that's the end of it. She was pushing her luck and she knows it. Don't give it another thought.

However, your husband should be more supportive and needs telling to step up. That's where you want to get tough.

Yeah I agree-I would have refused to do the infested hair and it was her choice not to have the rest done. She really cut off her nose to spite her face so to speak xx

Thanks so much for your supoort ladies I was scared of setting up on my own because of things like this, but Ill be ok now I've got a lil team on here lol xxx

100% you did the right thing. You cannot work on someone with nits.

From another perspective, if you catch them, you cant work till you get rid, could easily pass them to clients. Is this selfish mother prepared to pay you sick pay? Nope.

Upsetting situation, but you did the right thing.

Definitely, you did the right thing.

I cant understand why the mother if she knew her child had nits, why she didnt treat them before you arrived? The solutions are readily available, and I certainly would not expect anyone to work on my childs hair when they have nits!!!

Stupidity and quite frankly selfish of the mother to expect you to do so.

Sent from my E15i using SalonGeek

no way were you in the wrong!! you have yourself and other clients to think of not just them. The mother was so out or order not informing you or even bothering to treat them before you arrived. Also I would have asked for the full payment as she cancelled on you while you were their no way would I have accepted 50% Note for future maybe have a mini contract for things like this, ie if its cancelled within 48 hrs full payments is to be made? she was cutting her nose off to to spite and your hubby defo needs to be more supportive -tut tut!! xx

I agree moobar I'm very upset with him!
I'm deffo going to do a contract too as I have also missed out financially! It's beyond me though as a mum myself I couldnt believe what I was hearing!

You did the right thing without question. I did a wedding this year and had a flower girl whose hair was crawling with live nits, i was horrified that the poor girls mum hadn't spotted it and had also sent her with them knowing she would be mixing with other kids there. I refused to do her hair which upset the bride, but what else can you do.....luckily had already done the adult bridesmaids and the bride!

My other half gets really annoyed if i tell him ive been to do someones hair and theyve had nits. 1, cos its a waste of my time and 2, because he doesn't want him or our little boy to catch them! Just ask your other half if he would of been happy for you to continue with the service, catch them yourself and then pass them on to him, im pretty sure he will change his opinion ;) xXx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

people astound me .. ionce had a lass in for a perm who just said oh carry on the perm lotion will kill em :irked: after picking myself up off the floor i told her i couldnt do it until she was clear ..
honestly some people just amaze me , there used to be a mum at my sons old school and her mentality was just let the hair grow they will evenually go away ... omg i wanted to throttle her lol

Thanks guys I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Xx

Latest posts

Back