Help-tricky client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobydev

Reaction score
Hi geeks I wondered if I could get your opinion on something.

We have a lady who comes into the salon who books in a facial, manicure, pedicure, Brazilian, half leg wax and eyebrow tint every month.

She has been coming to us for about 12 months and she filled out a health questionnaire on her first visit and one recently (due to the concerns below) which didn't highlight any medical issues.

Anyway she sits in reception and talks to herself, which makes the staff uneasy. We are also concerned that she doesn't wash as frequently as the rest of our clients as her aroma isn't particularly pleasant!

It is getting to the stage where the girls are going to refuse to treat her so I just wondered whether you think it's easiest to just let her go and tell her to find another place to have her treatments and if so how would you suggest I do this without minimal offence?

The girls say she is hard to talk to as she always requests the music to be turned off and asks them lots of personal questions and when they try and chat back she is rude and abrupt. They are also intimidated when she talks to herself, and I would never forgive myself if something happened in the treatment room after them telling me they felt uncomfortable. Having the girls dreading coming to work because of her cannot be an option as again I couldn't live with myself knowing that.

Equally I usually do her Brazilian and waxing so one person is never left to do all of her treatments and even though she is a little odd, quiet and a bit 'whiffy' I don't think she means any harm and I am well aware that sometimes the girls can exaggerate.

What do you ladies think you would do in this situation, and how would you go about it/word it?

Thank you so much i look forward to hearing from you x

It sounds like she may have some mental health issue, perhaps some kind of autism maybe? I would talk to your girls and ask them to be compassionate and tolerant. It may be that this lady is overcoming a big hurdle getting her treatments done and being independent, she may talk to herself as she is nervous or uncomfortable herself? It's once a month and if u all share the treatments it's a small sacrifice that could make a big difference to a vulnerable person. U will learn to deal with her quirks and will soon know how to talk to her to get a positive response, she will get to know u all and maybe be nicer over time! As she has so many treatment perhaps offer her some free personal hygiene products that might help with her odour?! Hope this helps anyway good luck!

If the other staff feel uncomfortable but you don't can you not just treat her? Xxxx

Great advice from Sploo. I have worked in mental health before beauty and this is classic behaviour from someone who has mental health problems or a condition such as autism. She more than likely doesn't understand or realise the severity or implications of your concerns.

Yes, there are signs of a mental health issue here. I would perhaps have a staff training /information session to educate and advise on looking after these clients.
After all, whatever career we are in as a community we need to support and act inclusively.

I say good on this client for going to a salon regularly- it must be pushing her comfort zone hugely.

All salons have clients with quirky ways - health issues or not! As we are providing professional customer service it's up to us to adapt our treatments to their needs.

I have a client who cares for a toy as if it's a real baby. It comes to appointments with pram, changing bag and all. We just sit it in the chair next to the couch - no problem.

I think I would do her treatments myself to see how she is and then make a decision after that.

Brilliant thank you for all of your replies this has been so helpful. I will take everything everyone has said on board and report back on the situation. Thank you all so much for taking the tine to reply to this. ❤

Do you know this is a very fine line and you really have to be careful - discrimination just because she talks to herself is bang out - as for the washing thing well unfortunately you can't make her wash - you have to adapt yourself to be more comfortable wear a mask or gloves or both

Just because she has a mental health issue doesn't mean she is going to harm anyone and you should have the correct practises in place incase things get out of hand for every client not just this one because she smells and talks to herself

I know you probably don't mean to come across that you're being mean but I think you need to put yourself in her shoes imagine you had mental health issues and you found out this is how the staff of somewhere you went to thought about you :(

If it's that much of an issue for you then let her go by just telling her your full each time she calls it's not your place to tell her to wash or anything else etc

I would treat her yourself, unless she is being rude or aggressive then you can't really ask her not to come back. For hygiene maybe put some baby wipes out on the bed....

A mask with a few drops of nice smelling oil on might work.

Latest posts

Back