Help With Lash Tinting Please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I have tinted my daughters lashes before with no problem and she has had a negative patch test. However, today her eyes began to burn. I personally feel she either opened them during the process or I applied too much tint.

The reason I say this is because my tutor has told me that I am not applying tint close enough to the base of the hair. This is because I am nervous about getting tint on the skin which is difficult to remove when it creates an eyeliner effect. My tutor told me not to worry as the petroleum jelly barrier would prevent this happening.

Not so! My daughter is now sporting blue/black eyeliner which she loves but which is a big NO NO in exams.

How do you get around this problem ie) manage to tint to the base of the hair without touching the skin and risk seepage into the eyes?

I found that it just came with practice and confidence, I was so scared when we were doing our 1st clients at college but once I practiced on anyone that would let me my technique got better.

Have you tried adding a bit more P.J?

She might have just blinked without realising, you will have to make sure she doesnt do it all the time if she loves it lol

xxx

Have you tried adding a bit more P.J?

xxx
PMSL but in my December exams, I got marked down for using too much P.J. Also I have noticed that if I apply more P.J. than I am, then body temp melts it and it starts to seep into the lashes which would prevent the tint from taking.

you dont need too much PJ otherwise youll end up a sticky gooey mess maybe your using too much tint.sometimes if your clients eyes water or the twitch abit might go into eye causing a burning sensation not nice!! be confident when you apply it and dont use too much.

i've always mixed the tint quite thick and found this always worked well

what do you use to apply the tint? We were taught first with a tint brush. I could never get on with this as I felt that I didn't have enough control over where the tint went. So my tutor the showed us with the angled end of an orange stick. Well what a difference!:)

I always use an orange stick now and I apply the amount of tint I think I need near the centre/end of the lashes, but then using the stick you can gently tease it as close the the base of the lashes a you can but without applying pressure so that it doesn't go through onto the skin.

Does that make sense?:lol:

PMSL but in my December exams, I got marked down for using too much P.J. Also I have noticed that if I apply more P.J. than I am, then body temp melts it and it starts to seep into the lashes which would prevent the tint from taking.

lol, I thought you would be applying enough, i was just asking cos i remember a girl at college used to apply hardly any, at all! and was always getting tint on the skin.

Im sure when you do it next time it will be fine:green:

xx

i've always mixed the tint quite thick and found this always worked well
Interesting you mention this, because only very recently, I have started adding 4 drops of peroxide as opposed to my usual 3 to the tint (don't know why:rolleyes:). However, this one extra drop can make quite a difference to the consistency of the mixture.

I think I might go back to using 3 drops for lashes. Thanks.

what do you use to apply the tint? We were taught first with a tint brush. I could never get on with this as I felt that I didn't have enough control over where the tint went. So my tutor the showed us with the angled end of an orange stick. Well what a difference!:)

I always use an orange stick now and I apply the amount of tint I think I need near the centre/end of the lashes, but then using the stick you can gently tease it as close the the base of the lashes a you can but without applying pressure so that it doesn't go through onto the skin.

Does that make sense?:lol:
I will bear this in mind for when I qualify. Thanks. Not able to do it for exams though. Have to stick to their technique!

I always go around to the side of the client to check that it is right down to the roots and apply extra in down strokes standing/sitting at the side. I also use the tint from the bottom of the lashes and spread that up, rather than adding more so that they are not flooded at the roots.:hug:

Interesting you mention this, because only very recently, I have started adding 4 drops of peroxide as opposed to my usual 3 to the tint (don't know why:rolleyes:). However, this one extra drop can make quite a difference to the consistency of the mixture.

I think I might go back to using 3 drops for lashes. Thanks.

I've never had a problem with tint getting into the eyes until recently and realised I had started adding an extra drop - stopped doing it et voila no probs at all. I apply the bulk of the tint to the end of the lashes and then gently tease it back to the base and not get it on the skin.

Also I tell the client once I start applying the tint that they cannot open their eyes again until i tell them they can.

I've never had a problem with tint getting into the eyes until recently and realised I had started adding an extra drop - stopped doing it et voila no probs at all. I apply the bulk of the tint to the end of the lashes and then gently tease it back to the base and not get it on the skin.

Also I tell the client once I start applying the tint that they cannot open their eyes again until i tell them they can.

Ta Sass. Just what i thought, plus I must use damp pads under bottom lashes, lol :o.

Hi, when we were first taught in college
they used to lie the clients back a bit on the bed ,

but I found this can cause the tint to run into the clients eyes especially if they have watery eyes,

I find it better to keep the client more or less upright

but so it it doesn't seep backward :hug: x

Not so! My daughter is now sporting blue/black eyeliner which she loves but which is a big NO NO in exams.

Wow, what brand were you using to get that? I've wanted to get an eyeliner effect like that on occasions when I've been tinted but it's never come out for me...

Wow, what brand were you using to get that? I've wanted to get an eyeliner effect like that on occasions when I've been tinted but it's never come out for me...

It's not recommended to get it on the skin, the eyeliner effect is not meant to happen, it can happen with any brand it is due to incorrect application-sorry Mrs Clooney- not meaning to offend x. The effect doesn't last for long as it rubs off quickly and it's much safer to just use eyeliner! :hug:

It's not recommended to get it on the skin, the eyeliner effect is not meant to happen, it can happen with any brand it is due to incorrect application-sorry Mrs Clooney- not meaning to offend x. The effect doesn't last for long as it rubs off quickly and it's much safer to just use eyeliner! :hug:
No offence taken :hug:. As I did say in my post, it is a big NO NO!

I have a plan of action for my exam based on all the fab advice I've been given here to get the tint close enough to the base without touching the skin. Sometimes the obvious is so obvious you just don't see it, lol.

you can avoid the el effect with the pj also when you have removed the tint get your lady to look up and clean betwwen the eyelashes sometime there is a little stray tint lurking in them !!:lol:(with cotton tipped ows)

Latest posts

Back