Help with nail tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONZIE

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm a bit worried as I have 3 full sets of Creative l&p to do next week but it has been a while since I have applied tips. The main reason for this is that I have only done nails for the girls at work at the moment and they have just been coming back for maintenance and rebalances. I am not looking forward to it because I know that the finished product is only as good as the tip you apply which is creates your canvas to work on. In the past when I have put tips on I find that some are ok but then some just don't seem to blend and the more I file the more the tip wears away but just won't blend. I do also have a bit of a problem knowing which tips to choose i.e. velocity, formation or eclipse. I really worry about not using the right one and then feel a bit silly when the tip won't blend nicely.
Can anyone help me with some tips on this please? :sad:

The best advice I can give to you is to pre-tailor the tip prior to fitting it.
Then once tip is correctly applied just lightly blend over the tip, It doesn't too much if applying pink and whites. Also if a tip is pre-tailored it follows the natural nails smile line.
Hths

As well as pre-tailoring, I file a little over the tip before applying so that the step is not so high to begin with

x

Ok whats in a tip ..........
Formation:
It's the most versatile tip that suits most natural nail types
gentle C curve, full well area that might be needed for the odd shaped nail that needs sidewall help.....It has a natural arch.........

Velocity:
It has a reduce well area and a more pronounced c curve and arch.....only a little pre tayloring is needed...........

Eclipse:
Suits a natural nail that has deep sidewalls, it has winged contact areas, this allows great fit on very flat nail, relieves stress on the adhered area..........
it also has unique sizing, which means they are slightly larger as in a 5 is a 5+.....

When fitting or choosing a tip, the natural nail is your guide here.........
The C curves have to match...........never force a nail to host an ill fitting tip...

Tip blending is a skill, just like getting your ratio right.........Rembering to hold the file correctly is the key to succes........try filing practice on a raw egg in its shell lol..try gently to remove most of the shell with a file lol.. this will teach you to go with the shape and keep the file at a good angle at all times or else the egg will break and you end up with a right mess on your hand........imagine its a clients nail plate and the eggy stuff is their nailplate cracking..............

HTH
practice makes perfect lol......... I should know lol.......I practiced tip blending when I first started, till the cows came home and where ready for milking lol....
HTH

Thank you all for your tips on this subject it helps a lot.

I think if I were you, I would get some practice in on that nail Ttrainer of yours before next week!!

Velocity should suit most clients and they do blend very quickly. If they do not, then it is because there is a thin layer of air trapped under the tip.

Make sure you squeeze all the air out when you apply the tip, and then don't let go too soon and let the tip relax and suck some air under the tip. If using GelBond hold firm for at least 7 seconds. GelBond is thicker than other adhesives and takes just a little longer to set.

Hi,

Gigi got there first, I was going to suggest getting familiar with your nail trainer again!

Also, ensure you're using enough adhesive. When we did our FDFC recently we found that if there isn't enough adhesive this causes air pockets when you apply the tip; when you then start to blend the tip, as there is no adhesive between the tip and the nail plate, the tip justs files away instead of blending in.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for all your advice. Its means so much that I can get help from this site. I will take all your tips and get my nail trainer out tonight!!

Latest posts

Back