Highlift tint disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone could explain something for me. i coloured a friends hair the other day which i have been doing for year. i used two tints and one highlift.
The two normal tints were absolutely fine but the high lift tint bled really badly because the colour foamed. this has never happened to me before so i wondered if anyone had any ideas what caused this, so i can make sure i dont do it again.

I used Goldwell 11b with 12% as i normally do.

Help

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone could explain something for me. i coloured a friends hair the other day which i have been doing for year. i used two tints and one highlift.
The two normal tints were absolutely fine but the high lift tint bled really badly because the colour foamed. this has never happened to me before so i wondered if anyone had any ideas what caused this, so i can make sure i dont do it again.

I used Goldwell 11b with 12% as i normally do.

Help

Was it wholesalers own
Peroxide? Room or client overly hot? Client used supermarket shampoo/conditioner ? X

it was the high tech peroxide, which i always use.

It was warm in her place but not boiling. someone said it was because water got in it but i'm not sure i believe that theory.

client does use herbal essences i think but its never been a problem before

it was the high tech peroxide, which i always use.

It was warm in her place but not boiling. someone said it was because water got in it but i'm not sure i believe that theory.

client does use herbal essences i think but its never been a problem before

Used hi-tech once. never again it completly changed my bleach and scared me!! did you measure it correctly? foamy sounds like to much peroxide to me or water within the peroxide! had it been left on longer than development time ? x

yeah i measured correctly. i think it was on a tad longer than usual but when i was at college they said that didnt matter to much with highlift tint as it stops working. is this incorrect?
i'm still fairly new to all this.

yeah i measured correctly. i think it was on a tad longer than usual but when i was at college they said that didnt matter to much with highlift tint as it stops working. is this incorrect?
i'm still fairly new to all this.

highlift tints contain more ammonia than normal colours and also are heavily pigmented more so than normal colours, which is why you cant use heat for first 15 mins, and need to be left on maximum of 50-60mins depending on manufactures instructions, i always take highlift off after 50 with matrix, never any longer.

This is when you need to do an incompatability test!
Well I have found that products such as herbal essences and pantene can cause a build up and when you foil with high lifts, and bleaches, the foils can get really hot and expand more than usual. If this happens, you really need to get the foils off a.s.a.p!
xxx

Get some plain bottles and a label machine, pour the shampoo you use from the larger tubs into these, put ur business name on them and a small description (for dry hair) and sell them for cost price to people like that, I think you would also have to list ingredients xoxo

Get some plain bottles and a label machine, pour the shampoo you use from the larger tubs into these, put ur business name on them and a small description (for dry hair) and sell them for cost price to people like that, I think you would also have to list ingredients xoxo

Think this is kinda classed as deseption with intent to profit?

Think this is kinda classed as deseption with intent to profit?

I mean cost price as friends and family can use it just need to cover the cost of the bottles and product put in it, so no profit from it. And I doubt any1 would want to print another company's label xoxo

I mean cost price as friends and family can use it just need to cover the cost of the bottles and product put in it, so no profit from it. And I doubt any1 would want to print another company's label xoxo

In that case Matrix Total Results is a great range! it's not the creme de la creme of hair care but it's not ya pantene and V05! it's designed for these sort of customers, low cost prices and low retail price! :)

I personally would rather sell them what I used on them when iv done a service instead of a different product I don't use xoxo

thanks everyone. thats really good to know.
i didnt do an incompatibility test purely because iv done her hair so many times before. i didnt realise you couldnt use heat for the first 15 minutes.
Thanks everyone, your very helpful

I personally would rather sell them what I used on them when iv done a service instead of a different product I don't use xoxo

I stock and use total results, biolage and design pulse at backwash and retail x

I stock and use total results, biolage and design pulse at backwash and retail x

I'm mobile so find it hard to carry a full product range to use then add retail too, so I do orders, but thought carrying 2 empty bottles to pump ur some of my product in would help xoxo

Had she been swimmimg? Cholrine can react with Hi lift if not rinsed out properly or a build up, I've had that happen before development was quick got hot n bled.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I find high lift tint can bleed quicker than any other colour because it's normally double peroxide, when foiling I find it best not to slap too much high lift tint on and just lightly coat fine foils so it has room to swell!

I agree total results is fab! And very competitive with supermarket brands for a professional product!

I agree total results is fab! And very competitive with supermarket brands for a professional product!

Isn't it fab!, but I'm struggling to get it as warehouse always out, so I've swapped who I get it from lol x

thanks everyone. thats really good to know.
i didnt do an incompatibility test purely because iv done her hair so many times before. i didnt realise you couldnt use heat for the first 15 minutes.
Thanks everyone, your very helpful

You should really avoid using heat at all if you can avoid it.

Adding heat to the equation transforms the PH level of colour, making it more acidic thus allowing less penetration into the cortex at the same time as expanding the volume of the liquid due to molecular expansion.

In plain english - it can make your foils bleed and your blondes brassy.

:)

Latest posts

Back