Highlighting and toner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help deciding what to do with a highlighting result I'm very unhappy with (as a customer).

I have mousy brown hair and have been getting my hair highlighted for 25 years. In that time I went to two main salons and no-one ever mentioned a toner. A year ago my favourite stylist left to have a baby and so I decided to go somewhere else for cutting and also try a dedicated color shop for highlights.

The new place told me I needed a toner, which I didn't understand because I'd never heard of it before. Anyway, they put it on over the basin and it really stung, so they washed it off and added one for sensitive skin. It all felt a bit uncomfortable by then so I think it probably didn't stay on long. The end result was that my color looked good and I was happy.

The next time I tried another color shop and I told them I didn't want toner. They did as I asked and I was happy with the color.

This time I went back to the first color shop as it is local to where I live and told them I wanted two blondes. When we went to the basin I said no toner. The colorist argued with me and said I might need it because they use plant-based dyes; we'd have to see. Next thing she went off and mixed something up and I said "whoa, what's going on". She said as a professional she couldn't let me walk out of there with brassy hair and that I needed the toner. They have hairdryers to dry your own hair with but I was running late so said I would dry my hair at home so I didn't see the final result while I was in the shop.

Now I have hair that is mostly almost white ... and I hate it! I never said to them that I didn't want white because I had no idea my hair could go that color. I realise now that I usually have more golden tones and maybe it's the "brassiness" that I actually like.

My questions are:
1. Does the toner have to go on right away? Could I have gone to dry off my hair and look at it before we decided to put toner on?
2. Does toner wash out? Will my hair get darker over time? If so, how long does it usually take?
3. Is it too late to mess with the color now to make it a bit more golden?

I will let them know how I feel but they're not open again until Tuesday and I want to know what I'm talking about before I go back so that I'm not unreasonable with them.

Thanks for any advice!

Basically it all depends on how dark your hair is naturally, what products the stylist has used, as every salon uses different products and application method, as your not a hairdresser we can't give you any technical help regarding colour.

But the best advice is try to stick to one hairdresser that is consistent and the results are the same but if you want the best result from your colour you will
Need to return to the salon ever 5-6 weeks :)

Sorry, I just realised this should be in Consumer Queries. Please delete it.

Latest posts

Back