Home beauty room - clients and their shoes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see how, as a guest in someone's home (not a customer - as the original post) you could be affronted/gobsmacked by being asked to take your shoes off. I have a baby who is learning to crawl, and the last thing I want to worry about is dirt and who knows on my floors.

JMO, however....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

But they're not a "guest"; they're a client!
If you choose to use your home as a business then your clients have the right to treat it as a business premise, don't they?

How many of your "guests" do you charge?

I was remembering when I went to visit a couple I knew, it was the first time in their house and we were asked to remove our shoes. I must admit to being slightly gobsmacked and bemused by the request.

As Carrie in SITC said, this is an outfit! I felt exactly like that. I dropped about 5 inches in taking my shoes off and had to go about with bare feet and trousers that were all scrunched at my feet!

Anyway I was not amused by it all. I'm now thinking some clients may feel the same as I did, if asked?

Lynne, this was what I was referring to.

I said, as a guest NOT a client, as per the original post.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

But they're not a "guest"; they're a client!
If you choose to use your home as a business then your clients have the right to treat it as a business premise, don't they?

How many of your "guests" do you charge?

I'd hope they wouldn't treat it like a shop I worked in while training....... Wee on the carpeted fitting room floors. X

I'm anxious just reading this. What if I had holes in my socks or they didn't match? What if my feet were smelly? The slipper thing is thoughtful but as a client I would find it really weird, like I was being told I was dirty and if they weren't disposable I would be horrified. Shoe covers would tip me over the edge and I'd have to invent some sort of family emergency to leave or something.

I'm really sorry but I wouldn't come back.

Oh dear lol

I really really cannot believe just how many comments and lengthy ones at that this thread has had. It's crazy. It's only shoes. Hand bags down please and off for some more courses with you lol.

Although I'm surprised someone has not mentioned to check with your insurance company before you enforce the rule haha :D

I had a home salon and with uniform I obviously wore shoes, I wouldn't dream of asking a client to kindly take their shoes off.
Putting myself in their shoes (no pun intended lol!) I'd feel uncomfortable and probably wouldn't return
😳

If I'm paying for a professional service then that's exactly what I expect - and while I understand the desire to keep your home nice, part of being a professional is about having your services correctly priced. You obviously need to cover the cost of your training and the products you use but you should also be allowing for things like extra carpet cleaning and decorating etc.

No-one goes to a home Salon to get amateur services and treatments. If we wanted that we'd just do it ourselves!

Sunny xx

Hi all,

A strange one but just wanted to get some advice!

My work is mainly mobile, but now I've moved to my own house I've been lucky enough to set up a beauty room at home, in the hope of attracting new clients in the area. The only thing is, our house is new and we've got brand new carpet throughout and a strict no shoes rule. It's a town house, and everyone leaves their shoes by the front door, and in most my friends and family's houses, shoes are left by the door too.

So what happens with clients' shoes when they start coming to the house? My beauty room is on the top floor of my house, is it rude to ask clients to take their shoes off when they come to an appointment? My partner's parents say I cannot ask clients to remove their shoes, but I can't bear the thought of people wearing shoes upstairs on my lovely new carpet!!!!! I sometimes go to another therapist for treatments who also has a home salon and I always take my shoes off at the door without being asked, as her room is upstairs like mine.

I was thinking of buying disposable slippers to have available for clients to wear for their appointments, or is this silly?

I'm in the same situation as you - I just ask my clients politely if they would at all mind removing their shoes "as we have to go upstairs to the salon". I work in my parents' house and it is their rules, not mine... Everyone has been more than happy to! I've even had some say "I wouldn't want to tread my outside shoes through your lovely cream carpet anyway". If someone felt uncomfortable taking their shoes off then it's a different matter and I would, of course, accept that, as long as they were visibly clean (no dog muck/chewing gum etc).

Xxx

Last edited:
Only just came across this thread.. but..

In our house it's shoes on, we have wood floors throughout the downstairs and navy carpets on the stairs and upstairs. Sometimes we have people come round and they offer to take their shoes off - I just say don't be silly we're a 'shoes-on' household, although sometimes they still take them off, it's personal preference.

However!
Perhaps a way to solve it is to have some disposable slippers available just in case they DO want to remove their shoes and no safety protocols are breached?

It is slightly rude to ask them in the first place in any way, shape or form.

Oh no. Not the dreaded shoe thread saga again. Please nooo more ... Lol before I take some HOPI's to my eyes. Ahhhhh

Latest posts

Back