Home beauty room - clients and their shoes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a home salon and would never ask anyone to remove their shoes. I agree you should let clients know in advance if you go ahead with this so they can decide if they still want to come. I think you should have a good think if you really want to open your home to the public.
Anyway this thread reminds me of when Carrie in Sex & The City had to take her Monolos off! Like she said "but it's an outfit". Lol!

Oh yes! Good point about SATC. And then someone stole them lol.

I've got a small wooden sign (from a garden centre) that hangs by my front door that says 'please remove your choos!'

I think this let's them know my preference and 99% of my clients do but I wouldn't ask if they didn't.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Hi there. My initial feeling was, although I'd understand your reasons I'd be a little miffed at having to take my shoes off for a number of reasons but mainly I hate having cold feet or walking around, even indoors without shoes or slippers. But then when you said you'd have disposable slippers I thought that was really considerate so would feel better about taking my shoes off.

Disposable slippers aren't the best to get around in though and people could slip easily, however if I was happy with the treatment and wanted to return I'd perhaps bring my own slippers for next time.

I'd prefer disposable slippers as opposed to ones that have been washed as how can I be sure they're really being washed after each and every client. But unfortunately this will be costly.

Again - I'd understand your reasons for the shoe covers but really wouldn't like having to wear them for the same reasons as other posters have stated.

I'm really curious though, do you do your treatments wearing slippers?!?!

I'm anxious just reading this. What if I had holes in my socks or they didn't match? What if my feet were smelly? The slipper thing is thoughtful but as a client I would find it really weird, like I was being told I was dirty and if they weren't disposable I would be horrified. Shoe covers would tip me over the edge and I'd have to invent some sort of family emergency to leave or something.

I'm really sorry but I wouldn't come back.

I too think about this. I have cream carpets up my stairs and hate the thought of them getting dirty however I don't feel comfortable asking clients to take their shoes off - I know I wouldn't be happy. When it's dry outside obviously it's not an issue. What do people think about have the plastic over shoes for when it's wet outside? Do you think that would be rude asking then to put on over their shoes?.,

ok so i understand that its your home and you want to protect it but there are limits as it is also now your workplace

If i opened a shop and had new carpet or flooring would i ask people to take their shoes off to come in???no i wouldnt and im afraid your situation is no different. Yes people may do it without asking which is fine but for those that dont maybe they dont feel comfortable taking theor shoes off and if you ask them to you will alienate them and lose them as clients.

It is of course your house and your decision and whatever you choose is right for you. Hopefully we have all just given you things to think about xx

You wouldn't put a cream carpet in a salon in the reception area so why choose it when you have a home salon?

I wouldn't be comfortable putting shoe covers on builders were them not clients

No, no, no to the shoe covers. Somehow it completely detracts from the pampering feeling of being in a salon.

I also work from home and I don't and would never ask a client or anyone to remove their shoes.

I also don't like it when people expect me to remove my shoes when I visit them...it makes me feel a bit unwelcome...sort of like a messy intrusion in their perfect homes! I always give my shoes a good wipe on the mat and think that is polite enough.

I just make sure that I have a big bottle of stain remover handy in my kitchen and a decent hoover in case of any marks and basically feel that reasonable "wear and tear" is all part of running a business.

PB
x

Shoe covers are for builders, gardeners, surgeons and burglars. I honestly cannot tell you how mortified I would be if I was offered some to enter a salon, wherever it was based.

I can understand how it feels to have lovely new carpet and not wanting anyone to walk on it. :hug:

But, I choose to work from home so 'suck it up' just as I do the fact that I have to have everything spick and span and have to time when I put the washing machine on etc. It's all part of creating an environment and an experience.

My friend has a lovely little sign on her cottage door, it reads

" you are so welcome,
But your shoes are not "

I take my shoes off every time I go there, & I would be happy to do so if I came to your HOME for a treatment, but I would not expect to remove them at a salon/shop.

A home is totally different in my mind, we live,eat,love there. Not roll around in the dirt from outside..
Xx

I'm s total advocate for professionalism. However if a client had CHOSEN and decided to visit a HOME salon then I don't see why they would feel offended if asked to remove shoes.
You don't know what is on the bottom of shoes, they may look clean but they are not . They could be microscopic particles of dog or cat poo and if it was also a family home then it is absolutely not right to think that it's ok to tread their shoes through the house. If people are offended or think they shouldn't have to then they shouldnt decide to use a home salon.

I'm s total advocate for professionalism. However if a client had CHOSEN and decided to visit a HOME salon then I don't see why they would feel offended if asked to remove shoes.
You don't know what is on the bottom of shoes, they may look clean but they are not . They could be microscopic particles of dog or cat poo and if it was also a family home then it is absolutely not right to think that it's ok to tread their shoes through the house. If people are offended or think they shouldn't have to then they shouldnt decide to use a home salon.

Completely agree x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I was asked to removed my shoes when I went for a hair extension consultation, but i didnt walk on any carpets....sometimes its purely a hygiene thing :)

I agree with Ellebelle....the customer is coming to a home salon for a treatment as i said before so should respect your wishes!! Xx

Have been reading this with interest and I'm going to comment again ;)

I still haven't changed my mind but do have some further thoughts. I still don't think a client should be asked to take their shoes off but it certainly wouldn't stop me returning if the therapist did an excellent job.

As has been said I wouldn't ask for clients to remove shoes for health and safety reasons but also come summer those with flip flops or very warm feet my feel uncomfortable with odours or say verrucas.

I would like mention the home salon comments (and by all means this is only my opinion and I am off on a tangent a bit) but I don't think clients necessarily chose a home salon because it's your home. Some chose it because they like to get away from home and out in a professional environment, they also like the quiet, peaceful solitary experience as say opposed to some busy salon environment where others are having treatments also. I had a teacher once who loved my home salon, not because it was my home but because my room was peaceful, secluded and unlike another salon she had recently visited, in her words a gold fish bowl. She didn't want her students or their parents seeing her as it was her pampering time. Would she have baulked at removing her shoes? No I don't think she would have, but the point I'm making for consideration is, don't assume that just because clients come to your home that they aren't looking for a salon/treatment room experience from start to finish. I charge salon prices in my home salon and I'm not afraid to do so. I could literally pick up my home salon and put it in a high street and clients would receive exactly the same experience but they would just be sharing the premises with others.

OP I think you're absolutely right lovey to consider your options. I wouldn't let the no shoes rule stop me from opening my home salon but as you say its given you food for thought which is only a good thing. Who knows lovey in 6 months time your carpets may be a little more lived in and you may not mind as much- I jest obviously :)
X x x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Anyway this thread reminds me of when Carrie in Sex & The City had to take her Monolos off! Like she said "but it's an outfit". Lol!

I was trying to remember what she said, but that's it! Totally true!

I must admit to thinking about this dilemma too since I posted.

My clients would say, "do you want me to remove my shoes" and I'd always say "no, don't be silly"! Some on occasion did though.

I was remembering when I went to visit a couple I knew, it was the first time in their house and we were asked to remove our shoes. I must admit to being slightly gobsmacked and bemused by the request.

As Carrie in SITC said, this is an outfit! I felt exactly like that. I dropped about 5 inches in taking my shoes off and had to go about with bare feet and trousers that were all scrunched at my feet!

Anyway I was not amused by it all. I'm now thinking some clients may feel the same as I did, if asked?

I was chatting to my Mum about this tonight and she agrees with those of you who say that friends, family and guests to the house are entirely different to clients, and she advised me not to ask people to remove shoes.
I myself have a massive complex about my feet, nobody ever sees them not even my family(!), I don't own a single pair of sandles and never have, even to the extent where people think I'm mad but I take my own slippers to people's houses and always make sure I have clean socks in my handbag because my worst nightmare would be to find myself in a situation where I had to remove my shoes and expose my feet, it's something I've always had since school. Having a spray tan is such an anxious experience for me as my feet are on show, and I always wear rolled-down socks when having my waxing done. So I wouldn't want to make my clients feel as uncomfortable as I do in these situations!

I don't have a problem with telling my family, but I'm not going to ask clients to remove their shoes. It would be an incredibly awkward way to meet someone for the first time and begin an appointment. In an ideal world the house would be set up differently but I have only ever worked mobile until now so it was never a consideration when we bought the house/carpeted it. The treatment room itself used to be our guest bedroom, and it makes a lovely, private treatment room right at the top of the house but for now the only people who I treat at home are friends and family, and mobile seems to suit my situation best all round for the moment.

Thanks for your replies and opinions - something which has really divided people and it's enabled me to see all sides.

P.S The suggestions of the "take your shoes off" door mat and little wooden signs made me smile, along with the forensic-style plastic shoe covers :)

Latest posts

Back