Home beauty room - clients and their shoes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it very strange in fact! Fair enough if they have dirty shoes, or dog poo on the bottom but I never understand anyone asking anyone to remove their shoes. A carpet is on the floor- for walking on. Like someone said above, do you wear slippers doing your treatments? I just don't think it's particularly professional! The client might come without socks and feel all self conscious or what not. Just put a mat at the front door to wipe their shoes on. You have chosen to work from home, therefore you'll just have to grin and bear it!xx

I would definitely be irritated if asked to remove my shoes at someone's place of business.

This post was everything that I wanted to say.

I'm not coming to your 'home' I'm coming to your business - and I'm paying money to do so. A certain amount of wear and tear is inevitable and if you cant accept that cheerfully while making your Clients feel welcome and valued then it doesn't bode well for repeat business.

Sunny xx

A few more considerations

Does your home salon Risk Assessment include the danger of clients walking about with bare feet? Or what about slipping on hard floors in socks or tights?

Doesn't your professional insurance require you to wear PPE? What about your home insurance?

Hi,

I am going to working from home soon as well and will also have new carpet on the stairs so will be asking my clients to remove their shoes.

At the end of the day it's your home and the customer knows they are coming to your home for their treatment so should respect your wishes & remove their shoes.

You could even buy a few of those white slippers you get in a spa or something so they could put on which you would obviously have to wash all the time which would be a pain but least your carpet would be clean!! Then the client would still feel comfortable and it's adds a bit of luxury : )

I'm going to buy a little shabby chic sign which you can get off Ebay, which will be in my porch which says 'Please Remove Your Jimmy Choos' - just so they get the message ha! Xx

I'm mobile and always go to remove my shoes when arriving at someone's home to carry out a treatment. The majority of them say not to worry but I for one wouldn't feel comfortable walking on someone's carpet with shoes on!

I won't open up a home salon for the very reason that I would be horrified if someone tried to walk on my carpet with shoes on, I don't want germs and god knows what else being trodden through my house or the hassle of having a carpet cleaner which IMO never gets them looking as they did before. Everyone is different and you may find that your clients are more than happy to remove their shoes - as a client I would love being offered a pair of slippers to wear whilst having my treatment - would certainly help me to feel relaxed more so than keeping my shoes on :)

Good luck x x x

To the ones who do remove shoes, have you considered the health problems that may occur from bare feet? Verrucas, blood from cuts or grazes? Sweat?
I agree with the ones who have said while a client is present, its no longer a home but a business. A flip would be, would you be happy taking off shoes in Tesco and walking about bare foot, in socks or slippers that may have been worn by someone else? X

As this thread has divided views so too will it be in real life client situations.

I guess so long as you don't mind losing the clients who aren't happy with this then all is well.

Perhaps to save the clients who don't wish to take their shoes off a journey, you should tell them before they arrive what will be expected of them.

It might be a courtesy to advise prospective clients at the time of booking, this way you will only ever have to welcome those who don't mind and those who do mind are free to seek another therapist.

As this thread has divided views so too will it be in real life client situations.

I guess so long as you don't mind losing the clients who aren't happy with this then all is well.

Perhaps to save the clients who don't wish to take their shoes off a journey, you should tell them before they arrive what will be expected of them.

It might be a courtesy to advise prospective clients at the time of booking, this way you will only ever have to welcome those who don't mind and those who do mind are free to seek another therapist.

I totally agree. Everyone will have a different view. I personally wouldn't mind at all, I wouldn't think anything of it. However others on the thread said they wouldn't like it, so I think this is how clients will feel and you could advise them beforehand. That way they could bring socks or something if they don't want to be barefoot :)

It's a hard one, I guess you will have to go with what you feel right doing, I can see both sides as I go to a salon to relax and if I arrive and rules being made straight away I may feel a bit uncomfortable but on the other hand I would say if it's carpets shall I take my shows off.
Hope you work it out xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

It might very well be your home to you, but to your client it is a salon.

We have hardwood flooring throughout and I actively discourage my clients from removing their shoes for fear of them slipping.

It's your choice at the end of the day, but I too would be one of those never to return if anyone insisted that I remove my shoes. Now, if I were in Japan, it would be a different matter.

It might very well be your home to you, but to your client it is a salon.

We have hardwood flooring throughout and I actively discourage my clients from removing their shoes for fear of them slipping.

It's your choice at the end of the day, but I too would be one of those never to return if anyone insisted that I remove my shoes. Now, if I were in Japan, it would be a different matter.

Lol xx

In my home town 'up north' lol it's really rude not to remove your shoes in someone's house.

I don't work from home, but I ask guests to take their shoes off. I think the majority of people will appreciate
It's a home salon. You've dedicated one room to your business, the rest of your house is your home. I'd hope most people would respect that.

Maybe put an etiquette section on your website so they know to expect to take their shoes off and the slippers would be a nice touch in case anyone has forgot socks.

I work from home & can honestly say most clients remove their shoes to come up the stairs (I have hard flooring in the hall and new carpet on the stairs) I don't ask them to they offer I like Lynn discourage it
a) their walking up and down unfamiliar stairs in barefeet/ slippy socks/ tights.

I have a home salon but I do not ask my clients to remove their shoes as I feel uncomfortable asking. My OH is always telling me to ask clients to remove shoes but I ignore him as many have said its not a home to my client its a business. Many of my clients ask me if they should take their shoes off but I tell them its their choice and they can take them off if they want xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

Sorry phone sent!
b) please don't give them spa type slipper it's asking for trouble they will then also be in unfamiliar footwear! I also live in a town house and our stairs are quit steep :(

I have never been asked to take my shoes off and I would never ask anyone to take their shoes off in my house.

Bottom line is that a client would be mortified if say they had odd socks on or needed a pedi. I wouldn't like it.

You could always put on done bling blong music and bow as they enter so they think it's a custom. Lol

I dont think there is anything wrong with askin them to remove their shoes, they know there going to a home salon, if they wanted a business salon they would go somewhere else, but they come to u because they feel comfy in the home enviroment. i would not be offended if asked to remove them and having slippers would make me feel more relaxed.
x

I dont think there is anything wrong with askin them to remove their shoes, they know there going to a home salon, if they wanted a business salon they would go somewhere else, but they come to u because they feel comfy in the home enviroment. i would not be offended if asked to remove them and having slippers would make me feel more relaxed.
x

Exactly what I was going to say :) I always take off my shoes when going into clients houses. But I would work in my onesie and slippers if I could :) I would have thought most people would be more comfortable in slippers than shoes.

I have a home salon and would never ask anyone to remove their shoes. I agree you should let clients know in advance if you go ahead with this so they can decide if they still want to come. I think you should have a good think if you really want to open your home to the public.
Anyway this thread reminds me of when Carrie in Sex & The City had to take her Monolos off! Like she said "but it's an outfit". Lol!

I think this thread has shown some people will be fine with this request, others not.

I think you should clearly let your clients know what to expect when they book with you. Your shoes off policy should be clearly stated on your website if you have one. That way there's no surprises.

If you do decide to go ahead with this policy, you're doing it with the knowledge that you're limiting your target market.

If your business works fine with this policy then that's great. If it doesn't, you may want to review it.

Latest posts

Back