how do u keep your nails looking fab?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayneym

Reaction score
Hey there everyone I'm a newby 2 the site & would love to know how all you fab nail geeks keep your nails looking spot on?!
Do you do your own or go to another tec to have them done.
My dilemma is that I work alone so no one else can do them for me (as in if I was in a salon) & I used to have nsi done by a great tech before I started out on my own.
Thing is if people look @: my nails & they're someone elses work I feel like a fraud as its not my own! I do do my own now but its such a chore & I'm never 100% satisfied - whats the general opinion on this delicate subjet !!!
would love to hear your opinions & ideas
Jayneym

jayneym said:
Hey there everyone I'm a newby 2 the site & would love to know how all you fab nail geeks keep your nails looking spot on?!
My dilemma is that I work alone so no one else can do them for me (as in if I was in a salon) & I used to have nsi done by a great tech before I started out on my own.
Thing is if people look @: my nails & they're someone elses work I feel like a fraud as its not my own! I do do my own now but its such a chore & I'm never 100% satisfied - whats the general opinion on this delicate subjet !!!
Jayneym

Hiya Janeym
I do my own with wraps (Fabric by DN) or some times I wear L&P to practice my skill doing your wrong hand is incredible hard but a great way to practice IMO.

I do want to showcase my own work as well so yes I only ever wear my own enhancements..

hth

I do my own nails and the opposite hand is a mare to do but is excellent practice, if i need to be somewhere that i know my nails are going to be noticed i tend to do wraps as theya re much easier and quicker to apply, then i paint some lovely nail art on them, i tend to do opposite hand first but i do practice on paper befrehand so i can get it right. I would love for a fellow tech to do my nails but seeing as i work in IT at present I'm not trusting them to do it.
HTH

hi Jayne

It is hard doing your own nails but all i can say is practice practice and practice ! when i first started doing mine - especially my right hand i was getting lifting after a couple of days and soon they were lasting longer and longer - i am now at a stage where its not so much of a chore doing them and lifting is minimal.

There is huge satisfaction in doing your own nails and im very critical and not sure i could cope with someone else doing mine - though there are some geeks on here i wouldnt say no to !

I must admit i did have my nails done by a friend once who is very much more experienced than myself and i did tell some porkies to my clients ... how on earth could i say i went elsewhere ?! i felt so guilty that i always do my own now, plus it saves a lot of money too !

I tend to do mine in a quiet period and work on one hand at a time then take a long break and do the other - doing 5 fingers is less stressful and daunting than sitting down to do both hands ! i also try and do the hardest hand first too.

Recently ive been sculpting my own and love them ! hardest bit still for me is the rebalancing - buffing my right hand - but im getting there and its so satisfying. I found that glitter powders were easier and more forgiving to do than p&w, but about a month a go i did a set of p&w sculpts on myself and Im so happy with my smiles (even if i say so myself !) i didnt realise i had come so far when doing them on myself and had never really done them as i was afraid they would look really poor

Not ideal, but remember you could always polish if not completeley happy after - its all advertising !

hope this helps

kx

jayneym said:
Jayneym

hi janeym,

i also do my own nails, i have L&P sculps but i am lucky to be able to use both hands so don't find it too difficult. i mainly keep mine painted with strong colours as i find this attracts attention and gets people mentioning my nails giving me an opening to tell them about my business, when i had P&W it didn't have the same effect but after reading threads on this sight i started painting them and they get noticed a lot more

lesleyb

Hiya,
i have wondered what everyone else does too and i am relieved that other people perservere in doing their own nails. My left hand looks cool, and i have done nail art on them for the first time. But my right not so good, still looks passable but not perfect. I cant wait for the months to pass by until i get better with using my left hand. It takes skill to be able to do such skillfull work with your 'wrong' hand!
Dont give up! i wont!:)

Sara x

I do my own nails too.

It was a bit tricky to do my left hand at the beginning, but my smiles on both hands are near on perfect when I do french now, and there's no lifting either thank goodness.

Practice and patience - you can do it !

I do my own L&P, but I do sometimes cheat and use white tips if I don't have a lot of time!

With white tips they look great and when I do my own french my left hand is good but my right still needs lots of practice on those smile lines!

Still, practice makes perfect and our own hands are the best advertising.

At the mo' I'm sitting here with my left hand perfect and NO nails on my right! I did them for Vday and they lifted yesterday cos I rushed 'em!
I dont find it hard to do them if I take it slow and am relaxed but sometimes I feel the stress is not worth it and get someone else. I have been told to persevere so later I will attack one finger at a time but its the filling that puts me off!

I used to love doing my own nails but I seem to see it as more stress these days. I think I'll have to get back into the swing of it because there is great satisfaction in doing your own.

RedAdmiral said:
I used to love doing my own nails but I seem to see it as more stress these days. I think I'll have to get back into the swing of it because there is great satisfaction in doing your own.

I feel exactly the same.

I'm always putting it off and having to hide my nails. i just never seem to have the time, with working full time, doing nails in my part time, raisning a family and trying to do everything else women do.

Sometimes i feel like i'm running round in circles.

I went away for the weekend last weekend (belated wedding pressie), and the only time i could fit in to do my nails was before work on Thursday, so there i was at 5.30 in the morning doing my nails!!

I do my own and have done since I did the foundation course. I do sometimes find it a chore and leave a little longer than I should sometimes too, but it is so satisfying doing your own. I tend to do them on a Sunday and love to sculpt them ( for some reason I hate putting tips on own ) .You learn so much more when you do your own and yes, I think you are more critical because they are in front of you all the time. But you can hide all sorts of sins with polish, gems etc.

we must all be thinking the same thing
I started doing my own nails from the very 1st day and I know my nail bed very well and people have commented on how well i do my own nails, but it can be time consuming and tiring. I haven't started p + whites on my own nails yet though they are a timeless classic i find them boring on me give me bling bling glitter tips anyday. I have the stilletto shape but it takes ages to perfect them and so I'm considering soaking them off and free form scuplting instead.

When I first started out, I started out on my own nails and I still do my own, in over 15 years out of all the thousands of times I've had my nails done only one time did I let someone else do them and that was for my high school prom. I LOVE doing my own nails, and yes it is wonderful advertisement, plus I can take more liberties with my nails and be a little more wild with the decorations and art. And it is good practice, you can start over as many times as you like!!:wink2:

Latest posts

Back