How do you cancel with a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I know I haven't been on here in ages, too much to go into at the moment, it's been a bit tough, business is still going well though so I'm at least happy about that.

I have a nutter for a client, not trying to be mean or anything but I have been warned on a number of occassions about his woman. She's had 3 nervous break downs and her cheques bounce. I was introduced to her as a beauty therapist and I corrected my client in saying that I am a nail technician. This nutter then asked me at the same time to fit her in for a facial, she said I know you don't do them but can you make a plan, I told her I used to offer them back in South Africa but dont anymore, she begged me and being stupid I agreed :grr:

Last week sunday morning I get a call from her to say she is feeling very anxious and can I come over to do her a massage and I said to her that I do not offer massage and I do not work on sundays, then she said to me, can I come over a little later on to do her facial instead of wednesday, so I repeated that I do not work on a sunday. She said okay can she change her appt. to monday and I agreed. On monday I had a delivery problem so I had to postpone her appointment till friday as wedneday was booked up.

So here I am, I don't want to go to this client today because her last cheque(for her manicure of £10.00) bounced but she doesn't know as I took her card details down and the bank went with those. I am very uneasy around her and I don't want to have to sound like a liar and say I agreed to a facial when in fact I don't do them. So this morning I phoned her up and came up with something .... told her I would need cash from her today as it is december and I've asked all my cheque ladies to pay me in cash as it is christmas. She said she wouldn't be able to pay me in cash which is only £15.00 so I ended the call. I was really hoping she'd cancel with me but she didn't!!!

WHAT DO I DO NOW, I'VE DUG MYSELF A REALLY BIG HOLE!!!!

xxx

Could you not call back and state that as you are not accepting cheques if she cannot pay cash you cant carry out the appointment?

HI hun, glad to see all is well. Just as a client can choose where they go to have treatments, likewise you can choose who you have as clients. If she really makes you feel uncomfortable and wants you to do treatments that you are not qualified to do then you can just turn around and say no, or recommend somewhere else for her that does ALL treatments.

If her cheque bounces then you should tell her as you may be charged by the bank for this. Don't be embarrassed, it's not your fault it's hers. It's up to you what you want to do but run your business how you want to. If her cheque bounced then tell her and say no further treatments unless she pays cash before you commence treatments. I would be honest with her and tell her that no cash, no treatment.

Good luck hun, not a nice situation to be in. xxx :hug:

harvey said:
Could you not call back and state that as you are not accepting cheques if she cannot pay cash you cant carry out the appointment?

I was thinking that exact same thing Helen, I just didn't want to come accross desperate for cash which I'm not I just don't want the hassle. Her and her two friends have mucked up my life enough these past two weeks and I just can't take anymore of her.

xxxx

awww gawd rose dont you just hate senarios like this !!!

I dont know what you can say other than show her the bounced chq and say its not just for her but now EVERYONE pays cash ---- or no treatments

Dont be BULLIED into things you dont want to do....easy for me to say i'm not you!

Stand your ground and be strong.....or she'll KEEP DOING IT !!

AMb x

Rose143 said:
I was thinking that exact same thing Helen, I just didn't want to come accross desperate for cash which I'm not I just don't want the hassle. Her and her two friends have mucked up my life enough these past two weeks and I just can't take anymore of her.

xxxx

No i dont think this would come across as desperate for cash, just explain that december is busy and your fully booked, people going to parties and stuff, so dont have time to bank cheques etc. You are running a business hun and everyone needs cash at xmas.

At the worst you will lose her and her friends as customers, which aint a bad thing is it?

xxxxx

Sassy Hassy said:
HI hun, glad to see all is well. Just as a client can choose where they go to have treatments, likewise you can choose who you have as clients. If she really makes you feel uncomfortable and wants you to do treatments that you are not qualified to do then you can just turn around and say no, or recommend somewhere else for her that does ALL treatments.

If her cheque bounces then you should tell her as you may be charged by the bank for this. Don't be embarrassed, it's not your fault it's hers. It's up to you what you want to do but run your business how you want to. If her cheque bounced then tell her and say no further treatments unless she pays cash before you commence treatments. I would be honest with her and tell her that no cash, no treatment.

Good luck hun, not a nice situation to be in. xxx :hug:

Thanks Sass :hug: , I just don't want to be associated with this woman, I know I sound horrible but the amount of stress I've been through these past few weeks is just about all I can take.

I cracked this morning and cried my heart, this is the last thing I need right now, I don't need the trouble from someone like this. All my regular clients are good to me, tip me, support me buy my christmas goodie bags I made and that's the type of business I want, not one where I have to chase people for money.

I'm gonna ring her right now and see what she says!!

Watch this space .....

harvey said:
No i dont think this would come across as desperate for cash, just explain that december is busy and your fully booked, people going to parties and stuff, so dont have time to bank cheques etc. You are running a business hun and everyone needs cash at xmas.

At the worst you will lose her and her friends as customers, which aint a bad thing is it?

xxxxx

You're right, they'd be saving me grey hairs and doing me a favour!!!

xxxx

Rose143 said:
Thanks Sass :hug: , I just don't want to be associated with this woman, I know I sound horrible but the amount of stress I've been through these past few weeks is just about all I can take.

I cracked this morning and cried my heart, this is the last thing I need right now, I don't need the trouble from someone like this. All my regular clients are good to me, tip me, support me buy my christmas goodie bags I made and that's the type of business I want, not one where I have to chase people for money.

I'm gonna ring her right now and see what she says!!

Watch this space .....

you go girl!!! let us know how you get on ok??? x x

My God! What a pain :(

I agree totally with Helen. Stand your ground! Your in this to be successful and you've got the upper hand!

Good luck!:)

Just tell her you've got to cancel and when she calls again tell her your fully booked and again and again and again if necssary.

Or tell her the truth and say you've cost me money and I am not prepared to risk your cheques again.

Dont feel bad about this its your business and your in it to earn a living

Thanks girls for your replies, I just phone her and told her that the reason I rang her this morning is becasue the bank phoned me yesterday to tell me her cheque had bounced and this is how it went:

Lady: Oh no, it bounced? I've sorted the bank out now though, if you take a cheque today I'll pay you in cash the next time.

Me: No I'm sorry my love, it's Christmas time and I can't have these sort of problems when I am so booked up. If you can pay me in cash today I will come over and do the treatment for you.

Lady: Oh but I was really looking forward to it today, I'm feeling really depressed. Can I pay you tomorrow in cash?

Me: Can we change your appointment to tomorrow then? Or next week when you do have the cash.

Lady: No I wanted my appointment today I will get you the cash next week sometime, how's tuesday? I will get it for you I promise!

Me: I can't just come over and do a treatment and not get paid my love, my ladies pay me upfront every time and they also understand about it being christmas and only paying in cash. They have never asked me to do any treatment and come back for the money, I'm sorry, I'm trying to run a business, I have salaries to pay and my own christmas shopping to do I hope you understand.

Lady: But I will get you the cash (started sounding very tearful)

Me: But when hunny?

Lady: I suppose I'll have to leave it then

I have never felt so bad in all my life, she sounded really upset but I can't take on her problems as well as mine and it's made me worry for days, I can't have cheques bouncing at Christmas.

I feel so selfish ..... God, why do I feel so bad!!!! I know what it's like to battle financially, my Mom does but I have other ladies willing to pay me, waiting for her appointment, guess I should ring them huh?

Thanks for getting me through this guys, it was a hell of alot easier than doing it on my own :hug:

xxxx

Hunny, you did the right thing!
I know it's awful but you are running a business! It would be lovely if we could do people free treatments all the time but it just isn't possible. You aren't being selfish at all, you are being a very sensible business woman IMO.
Don't feel to bad hun! :hug:

dont feel bad, ok we all know what its like to have financial problems but you know what, we dont get our flipping nails done when we dont have the money!!!Lol. She can survive without nails its not like you were refusing her a meal when she is starving chick. You can forget her now and get one of your paying clients to take that appointment intead, which you will no doubt enjoy doing. In my job I have to put up with people crying on the phone sometimes, and you cant go feeling sorry for them all the time as a lot of them put it on to worm their way out of paying. Yeah there are genuine people but like I said, if I was that skint getting my nails done would not be a priority, feeding my kids would be or paying my bills.

Hi Babe :hug:

Well done for standing your ground :hug: Don't feel selfish, you have done absolutely nothing wrong, don't let her crocodile tears wind you up!

You wouldn't dream of not paying someone for treatments (I know this from personal experience remember :lol: ) so why should she do it to you.

I know you're busy and having a rough time at the moment, I'm only down the road and on the end of a phone/email/text, anytime you need me chick :hug:

NOPE DONT FEEL BAD you did the right thing Rose....it had to be said....you are trying to run a business as you say. Let her try it on with someone else !

CHin up..!

Helen is totally right. Although she may be genuine in what she says, if she is so strapped for cash then her nails shouldnt be her top priority. If she wanted her nails doing so badly then she should rearrange an appointment for when she can pay cash. Maybe the fact that she didnt reschedule is because she has been 'caught-out' so to speak.

Christmas is a hard and stressful time for everyone- dont let it get you down! :D

harvey said:
dont feel bad, ok we all know what its like to have financial problems but you know what, we dont get our flipping nails done when we dont have the money!!!Lol. She can survive without nails its not like you were refusing her a meal when she is starving chick. You can forget her now and get one of your paying clients to take that appointment intead, which you will no doubt enjoy doing. In my job I have to put up with people crying on the phone sometimes, and you cant go feeling sorry for them all the time as a lot of them put it on to worm their way out of paying. Yeah there are genuine people but like I said, if I was that skint getting my nails done would not be a priority, feeding my kids would be or paying my bills.

Nicely said Helen, I know what you're saying is true, thanks for that!!! Feeling better every minute now.

xxxx

Trinity Nails said:
Hi Babe :hug:

Well done for standing your ground :hug: Don't feel selfish, you have done absolutely nothing wrong, don't let her crocodile tears wind you up!

You wouldn't dream of not paying someone for treatments (I know this from personal experience remember :lol: ) so why should she do it to you.

I know you're busy and having a rough time at the moment, I'm only down the road and on the end of a phone/email/text, anytime you need me chick :hug:

Thank you my love, that means alot, I am just really trying to stay a highly recommended business with a good reputation. I have done really well this year and my clients love the work I do and the work Clair does for them, I just don't want to sound like a heartless person and ruin my good name.

Prepare to have your ears spoken off on Tuesday when I see you :hug:

xxxx

Rose143 said:
Nicely said Helen, I know what you're saying is true, thanks for that!!! Feeling better every minute now.

xxxx

Good hun. Hope i didnt come across as a heartless b*tch in that post! lol! But Im glad your feeling better, you have nothing to feel bad about in my opinion

x x x x x

Latest posts

Back