How long does it take to become a good electrologist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelleM

Reaction score
Hello All-

I'd love to get the opinions of experienced electrologists here please if possible!! :)

I'm currently training in electrolysis and am curious to hear what the general opinion is in regards to the length of time it takes for an electrologist to feel competent enough to work for oneself.

It would be very difficult for me to work in a salon after my training is finished as we'll be moving to somewhere quite remote at the end of the year and there aren't many salons near where we'll be moving. I would much prefer to do the work from home on part-time basis anyway. However, I am unsure about how long it usually takes to feel confident & competent enough to do electrolysis. I'm sure it depends on the person and their skills but there must be an average length of time of experience??

Many thanks!

Hi I have been performing electrolysis just over 30 years and I think electrolysis experience comes from many factors. The variety of clients that you work on, how keen you are to keep learning and improving, investing in good technology and re-evaluation. I will plug an Apilus machine here - no matter how good you are using a basic machine - you will improve by using an Apilus. This is because you can perform different techniques and use their mix of modalities to treat different hair/skin types thus extending your repertoire. I also recommend a good skin science/analysis course as understanding the skin is crucial. If you do the same old thing no matter how long you have been doing it you get the same results. A qualification only provides a platform - a career is lifelong.

Thanks, Essentia!

The good thing about electrolysis is that for a long time you are constantly learning as every client presents you with a new challenge, it makes the work interesting! Practice, practice, practice is the key to become good. Accuracy is so important, the speed comes later with experience

It's difficult to answer. I've been an electrologist for 15 years and today was still amazed at a clients stubborn hair. Working with different clients with different needs will increase your confidence and build your experience. Contact the BIAE and take one of their courses. I have been a member for 12 years and the support from other members is fantastic.

Latest posts

Back