How to charge for frequent non-ox tonings?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Client with EXTREMELY fragile, thin hair prone to lifting has grey coming in. Have been introducing her to color very cautiously but she's been wary about permanent/lightening/multi-process color and frankly, so am I at this point. Gave her what was supposed to be an ultra subtle demi, no lift overtone (in a 7 to be EXTRA sure we didn't darken her natural 6) just to make the greys less noticeable and got about 1 level of lift (6 to 7) within 15 minutes, quite unexpectedly. She actually liked the results (turned out fairly cool toned) and I called it a win. Well then she was back in my chair in 2 weeks and pissed, barely any regrowth visible but demi pigments were washing out and she had begun to pull orange. I didn't want to compound the lifting problem so I just gave her a non ox toner to bring down the orange and that's what we're doing going forward. I'm not sure how to bill a client who is just coming in for a non ox color service (Color Fresh) every 2 weeks or so now? Like charging her for a standard single process color seems too steep given how easy what I'm doing for her is but I don't want to cheapen my value by undercharging. How do others charge for this kind of service?

(Sidenote but I think a lot of stylists in my area, particularly those who do creative color, really focus on getting big-transformation clients looking great when they walk out of the salon, but don't give them a realistic picture of just how frequently they will need to go back to maintain color or a reasonable strategy to maintain it without compounding damage. Olaplex isn't magic and most clients don't have the kind of hair type that could realistically allow them to only wash every 10 days or so. End rant sorry.)

Obviously a demi will lift, especially on hair that is very porous, it’s to be expected. It’s not your fault that your client has problem hair.
Is she ironing it with too much heat regularly? That will be very damaging.

SHE has chosen to colour it every 2 weeks to cover the grey and maintain the new colour.

I think it’s irrelevant what product you’re using. She’s a client taking up space in your chair.
How long does her appointment take? Can you service other clients whilst she’s there?

I’d probably charge her the equivalent of a root touch up.

Stop feeling bad about it.

Latest posts

Back