How to decide on which brand to use - Gelish or Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylag

Reaction score
Hi there
I'm newly qualified and cannot decide whether to go for Gelish or Shellac. What is the main difference between the brands? Have they got different ways of application or similar? also deliberating on which Led lamp to get. I was looking at Melody Susie one, does anyone have one? Or any good recommendations. I'm planning to go mobile once I have my kit. I want good quality, So getting it right is important so would appreciate any tips. Thank you x

Weather you decide on gelish or shellac you will need that brand of lamp, so if you choose to go with gelish, you would have to buy the gelish lamp as it's the only way to ensure the product is cured correctly and the only way you will be covered by your insurance

Thanks I didn't realise that. They are quite expensive though, are they worth it?

Thanks I didn't realise that. They are quite expensive though, are they worth it?
Yes, it's always best to have the correct lamp for your system to ensure proper cure, using the incorrect lamp could mean under curing a product and service breakdown.

Also if you do a quick search you will find many threads on Shellac and Gelish as well as pros and cons of each xx

Yes, it's always best to have the correct lamp for your system to ensure proper cure, using the incorrect lamp could mean under curing a product and service breakdown.

Also if you do a quick search you will find many threads on Shellac and Gelish as well as pros and cons of each xx

Thanks will do

What if you want to use 2 or 3 brands? Which lamp do you use?

One for each system
Gelish lamp for Gelish
CND lamp for shellac etc

Do Jessica Geleration have a lamp? I can't seem to find one but I've emailed them to ask.
Thanks for the help

If you can, I would recommend going to Professional Beauty in London at the end of this month (February). Go with naked nails and get as many sample nails from different companies applied on yourself. Keep a note of which product is on which finger, make notes on how they are applied and the ease etc. look at their colour range prices etc. Then keep them on for two weeks and see which one you think fairs the best in terms of shine, non chipping etc. Remove them one at a time keeping notes of how easily they remove. You will then be much more knowledgeable about which product you prefer. I did this years ago when gel polish first appeared on the market, it was the best bit of research possible for me. Unfortunately, OPI GelColor was not available then, which is what I use mainly now.

Thanks JuicyLucy for that tip, that's a great idea! I will definitely look into this. Do you know if there is one
Nearer the north East?

I use OPI Gelcolor, I just like the consistency of it - it's easy to apply 2 or 3 thin coats. I also use ChromaGel in black and their no wipe topcoat for the mirror & holographic powders, compared to OPI it's very thick and hard to get a nice thin coat.

It may not necessarily be the cheapest bit of equipment you'll purchase but, for example, the CND LED lamp will last for 27 years - even taken over a year or two, for a busy tech, the cost per service is very decent.

You should always use the lamp recommended to you by your manufacturer or you could invalidate your insurance.

Totally agree with everything juicy Lucy says. No one brand will suit every tech/client, so it's important to see what YOU prefer... otherwise you'll just get all of us telling us which brand we use and prefer.

Thanks Linzi,
I actually don't mind paying the extra for the correct lamp as I want the best results but it's the choosing of the brand which is the hardest part at the moment, as you can't just try them all without buying the whole system and lamp.
The visit to the show is probably my best bet to try them all. I've narrowed them down to Opi, Gelish and Jessica geleration. I've had Jessica many times but unfamiliar with Opi and Gelish.
Thanks for all your help ladies, I've learnt an awful lot today! Xx

For me the brand choice came down to the ease of removal. I only work on natural nails and need a product that can be removed without filing. Shellac has been great. I will say that the CND lamp is not the best. I have had to replace a few in my shop after just a year. The plugs are wonky.

Gelish is amazing.
Please note Shellac and Gelish are two different things... Shellac is a hybrid mix of a normal nail polish and a gel polish meaning easier removal but not as long lasting or strong. Gelish is a pure gel polish. I use the 18g lamp and it's well worth the money.

Hi there
I'm newly qualified and cannot decide whether to go for Gelish or Shellac. What is the main difference between the brands? Have they got different ways of application or similar? also deliberating on which Led lamp to get. I was looking at Melody Susie one, does anyone have one? Or any good recommendations. I'm planning to go mobile once I have my kit. I want good quality, So getting it right is important so would appreciate any tips. Thank you x

Hi there

Hi ive bought this. It has very good reviews and is LED and LV. Its got some money off at the moment too. X

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-20-14-07-42.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-20-14-07-42.png
    330.5 KB · Views: 59
One very important thing to know when choosing to start up with a specific brand of gel polish - you must have their brand of light to ensure you cure the product fully and to comply with your insurance.

Ive nust been reading this thread. The lady at the acadamy ill be starting at.told me to get a lamp.. she didnt specify but did say LV. I got a lamp which does both which I researched into with detail and it cures alot of gel polishes perfect. We get an NSI kit when we start. Am I right in thinking I need an NSI lamp really? even tho she she said any Uv one? Or keep what I have as I may want to change brand? I know NSI has a very good name. Will it effect my insurance #confused. X

Gelish hard gel only works with an 18g lamp for example so I would stick with each brands lamp

Latest posts

Back