how to get started

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOE!

Reaction score
hi, everyone this is my first post. would just like to say hi to everyone and to say how brilliant this site is. Ive just passed my creative foundation and my teacher recommended this site. Im hooked already. ive just a few questions to ask if thats ok. First of all i cant wait to do nails but i havent got a lot of models yet and im still in my old job at the moment to pay for all the lovely creative products. Ive got everything i need but ive only done it on my mum etc. How do i get paying clients, im not exactly brilliant yet so dont feel very confident charging people, but i want to get started. I want to get a job in a salon too but i only see advertisements for self emplyed or proffesional. I need out of my job and really want to do nails all the time. What can i do? Im scared im going to get worse if i dont get clients soon. help

Hiya Zoe - welcome to the site hun.

Why dont you put a flyer up in your local sixth form college for ladies over 16 to practice on and do a reduced fee for a month or so.

It will help pay for your products and get your confidence going.

As for the salon, I'd get your pressed uniform on walk in and speak to the managers see what they can offer you, you might be suprised. (However try and pick a quieter day maybe Tuesday but not the weekends.)

Hope this gives you some ideas.

ttfn

hiya and welcome to the site...

surely you have freinds that would help you out if you asked them. when i started, i just asked my friends if i could do a set on them for £10, all of them agreed to it and you get the experience too. one of my friends had really bad bitten nails, by the time i finished with her, she stopped biting her nails and now has lovely long nails (which i never thought id see) so she doesnt need acrylics anymore (im starting to ramble so ill leave it there)
hth

Hiya Zoe

I would build up your clients by doing some advertising, this will get your confidence and speed up - then i would think about going into a salon when you have a bit more experience.

It can all be really exciting starting out!!

Hi Zoe!

welcome to the Geek site i am sure you are going to find plenty of help and information on here!

Have you tried putting an add in your local Rag( paper) saying models required, So much % off each set.
Then when you get any call tell them you are fresh out of training and are only charging £10.00 say? so they know and not expecting too much, ( then you are also not getting yourself to worked up and nervous about timing etc) and the client knows exactly what to expect.

Then if you get any takers, you are starting build up a clientell at the same time?
Worth a go Maybe?

Enjoy the site, and good luck in all you do!
Luv 'n' hugs
xxxxxxxx

thanks for all the lovely advice girls. You are all lovely trying to help me out. Im going to do exactly what all of you have said. Get some flyers and put an advertisement in my local to build my confidence and get more practice. That way when i go for a salon job ill be confident and my speed will have improved. Thanks a lot!

zobo said:
Hiya Zoe

Where about in Scotland did you do your training? I am pretty much like you, i would like to work in a salon and leave my job.....but take a step back and have a think about it.
If you're in a job at the moment i would build up your clients by doing some advertising in your area, this will get your confidence and speed up - then i would think about going into a salon when you have a bit more experience.

It can all be really exciting starting out!!
i did my training in aberdeen, what about you and how long have you been doing it.

Latest posts

Back