I need a business mentor

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up a new company and I need to talk to someone who is really experienced and astute in the beauty industry. I know I can talk to business link, but I fear that they won't appreciate the specific issues I want to bottom out.
Where can I go, who can I talk to about this? I could ask you lovely people here, most of whom have oodles of experience and business nous, but I need to protect my idea until it's all finalised.

Any ideas are very gratefully received!

Is there someone at The Guild or Babtac who could maybe help.

I was wondering about them, Fiona, and I might give them a ring to see. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi,
Maybe just pick some-one and send them a private message making sure you choose some-one who works far away from yourself.
Look at all their posts and choose someone who you think looks wise .

Yep, I've done just that. Babtac were helpful in that they listened to my issues, which helped me to kind of think out the problems, but they couldn't really advise.

Whatever your idea is Lynne, I can honestly say I will not be interested in copying it, as I have my hands totally full already! So feel free to use me as a sounding board.

You have an email, Zoe!

Yep, I've done just that. Babtac were helpful in that they listened to my issues, which helped me to kind of think out the problems, but they couldn't really advise.

For a business mentor try business link - 0845 600 9 006

They have business advisers all over the UK

Did you get my e-mail? Sorry if it sounded negative, it was just the pitfalls I have faced and stuff I wish I had done differently. Business link are certainly a good idea. Kate x

I did, Kate, and I've been reading it very carefully. I'm determined to not get shafted with this, and have a few ideas on how to minimise the risks. Will certainly check out the DDM issue.
Very happy to read all the pitfalls - that way I can be sure to avoid them where possible!

Defo! Sorry I kept getting phonecalls mid writing it, and then I sent it and then re-read it thinking It sounded against it. Its a perfect idea if people were perfect. Its how you cover every eventuality.

Good Luck with it, and be sure to come back to me again if you need any advice or let me know if you perfect the idea ;)

Kate x

I shall also be very careful who I accept onto the scheme. Very young girls are unlikely to make the grade, to be honest. I have a reputation to protect, and a very short fuse!

I shall also be very careful who I accept onto the scheme. Very young girls are unlikely to make the grade, to be honest. I have a reputation to protect, and a very short fuse!

Its the older ones I have had trouble with! They are the ones you thought would be a safe bet! Nope three were in there 40's the others in there 30's!

Really young girls need guidance and yes much patience. But I have a few that are in there 20's and they really are good workers, don't hassle me much but I dont mind anyway but just not over silly common sense things they seem to ask more about how to make it work for them.

The young young girls in their teens do mostly expect it all to be done for them.

I have thought certain goods would excell and they didnt and the ones I never thought would proved me wrong ~ you never can tell!

x

Hmmm, watertight contracts are essential, I guess!
I wonder if it could be run just like Partylite: no dosh until you've cleared £x's worth of parties?

Ooh it all sounds very intriguing lynne. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes you well & will be dying to hear all about it.

With regards to mentoring, is there anyone you could speak to at any of the networking groups you go to?

It's surprising how just thinking aloud to people can answer your own questions.

Good luck with it all.

S x

Hiya, sometimes its better to sound out someone else in a completely different line of business. My mentor in business is a friend who has a recruitment consultancy. She often asks the pertinent questions that I have overlooked and has a more methodical approach.
If you want a more business than therapist approach, then please feel free to pm me.
As you are aware, I have a different type of business and focus than you, but am happy to listen and help.

Hiya, sometimes its better to sound out someone else in a completely different line of business. My mentor in business is a friend who has a recruitment consultancy. She often asks the pertinent questions that I have overlooked and has a more methodical approach.
If you want a more business than therapist approach, then please feel free to pm me.
As you are aware, I have a different type of business and focus than you, but am happy to listen and help.

I think this is a really good point. Those in a different field will offer a different perspective and maybe have less bias. Plus if you are concerned about protecting your idea you will probably feel in a 'safer' environment.

I have found that if I am speaking to someone intelligent, they can offer an opinion and throw in some food for thought, irrespective of their knowledge of the industry.

I find it's also excellent to source out a very intelligent but very negative person as they will always find and point out all the little nitty gritty pitfalls .... that hopefully you won't encounter .
Then find a much needed positive one too :hug: x

Thanks for all the ideas, chaps! My mum is probably the most negative person I know, but I don't know if I'm up for particular brand of nit picking! At our wedding party someone said "gosh, isn't Lynne's business doing well?", and my dear mama's response was "well, I think it's a bit of pin money for her". When I told Alex he said "that's a f*&k of a lot of pins!"

I know a couple of people who use a similar business model but in different industries, and I plan to pick their brains too.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back