I think my natural nail is lifting...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms.Matrix

Tweetacular Geek!
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason that my nail looks like it may be trying to come off from the free edge?? On the sides near the sidewalls it actually looks like it's coming off...the corners are white well into the nailbed. It doesn't hurt and I know I haven't damaged it, and I dare not try to lift it up to actually find out if it's coming off. I have NEVER had anything like this happen before...Also, I've noticed that sometimes layers of my nail plate will peel, what the heck is that??:Scared: Are these weird things happening because of the pregnancy or do I have a problem on my hands? (pun intended) Please my fellow geeks a little help would be nice...Thank you!!!!:wink2:

Sounds like the nail plate may be thin now at the free edge and the pressure of the product or the length of the nails could be causing the plate to derail. You may think there is no damage, but many nails do get thinned whilst blending tips! Then when that area reaches the free edge of the bed, onycholysis can appear.

Side walls are another area that can very easily be thinned out when doing a rebalance as technicians tend to forget that little corner of the plate, that has no product protection, when they are straightening up the sidewalls when prepping for a rebalance!

I would not 'test' it, but let the plate grow through naturally and it will reattach again. Keep your nails short and use SolarOil every day as this keeps the nailbed soft and supple and helps the re-attachment process.

If you are in good health during your pregnancy then onycholysis will not be caused by your being pregnant. Eat a good healthy balanced diet and your teeth and nails should stay in good condition.

I had the same thing. So I stopped waring L&P for a while and used Solar oil under the free edge, and kept my nails as short as poss. I found the problem has got better in the last week or so. I think I thinned out my nail plate, filing to quick. Not much time for myself as I have a little boy. (Always the way, wouldn't dare let this happen to my clients, but do a naff job on myself!) Let that be a lesson to me!!:o Hope this helped.
Jules

Julie Parkin said:
I had the same thing. So I stopped waring L&P for a while and used Solar oil under the free edge, and kept my nails as short as poss. I found the problem has got better in the last week or so. I think I thinned out my nail plate, filing to quick. Not much time for myself as I have a little boy. (Always the way, wouldn't dare let this happen to my clients, but do a naff job on myself!) Let that be a lesson to me!!:o Hope this helped.
Jules

Me too!! short nails for me at the mo and lashing's of solar oil I am addicted to the stuff:)

Thanks Geeg & everyone for your responses, the weird thing is that I haven't had tips & overlay on in weeks!! Could there still be residual effects from when I did have them on? What do you think about the peeling??

Peeling could be due to the pregnancy. It is well known that hair and nails suffer a bit during pregnancy as can skin. Some GLOW (I wasn't one of them) and some get a bit depleted.

As to the onycholysis, ir can definitely show up weeks and months after enhancements have been removed. Depends where the thinning went on, at the eponychium or zone 2, and how long it takes to reach the free edge.

May be it is a hormonal thing! The changes in your body are so mad at the moment. I was pregnant this time last year, my nails were fab but my hair was shabby and dull.

Anythings possable.

Jules:confused:

Thanks all!! I was a bit worried...now all I need to know is where do I get solar oil from??? Anybody with any extra laying about? I will take donations.:D Seriously, I do need to know where to get a hold of it at?

CND Solar Oil should be for sale at all beauty wholesale outlets or fine salons!

It will make a big difference. Use it morning and night and in betweenif you feel like it. :D

Hey Geeg or anyone with an answer,

How long should I wait before I try to apply tips again?? My nails look wretched...I'm not doing the acrlyic overlay this time I'm going to do a silk wrap and have them very, very short...or should I fore go the tips and do a wrap on my naturals??? or should I just smack myself on the hand, put some gloves on and try not to look at them for a few more weeks?:confused:

(sniff, sniff) :cry: :cry: :cry:

I never got an answer guys :sad: :cry:

i think.....you can wrap over your natural nails now if u want to just no tips till your nail is better.

AMb x

Ahhh, Thank you, now I feel relief!!!!:)

perhaps paint them too so you cant see....and be tempted to 'poke' any dirt from under there!!!

CAn u tell i've done it too!!!!

Amb x

Latest posts

Back