I'm not knocking you! but....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspirations

Divorced Geek
Reaction score
You just know that when somebody say this, they are about to do, just that!

I am CND trained and use all the products.

I had a client phone me the other evening saying that she has just been laid of from her job. Then she proceeds to say that three of her nails have broken off. Then came the, "I think I'll just have them soaked off. I'm not knocking you, but because they are just not lasting and its a long time to sit there having them done for them not to last". Apparantely two came off in the first week. I had seen them two days after they were done and there was no lifting after curing and she was really happy at the time. Then another one came off in the second week. Now, the natural nail underneath is "shot to hell". This says to me that they were pretty well stuck on and it had been ripped away, removing a layer of nail plate...right?

This lady has been back three times to have her nails done by me. First time, I used Brisa gel as requested by her. They were lovely when she left and I gave her my advice leaflet for aftercare and SolarOil and asked her to read it. She did warn me that she is good for so long at looking after things but gets bored and gives up. Two weeks later, she came back with quite a few missing and as I started to buff away what was left, they just crumbled away. I asked her to have another look at the aftercare leaflet and see if there was anything that she may have done or not done. On scanning it again, she said, "Oh, I may have been using cleaning products without gloves on!"
I asked which cleaning products, to which she replied, "Orange Cleaner and Cillit bang!"
Ok, so I figured out why they were trashed!!!!!

I suggested we try acrylic on her. She typed in work all day, and I got the feeling she didn't take her time over anything and was maybe a bit heavy handed. I used nail fresh as an extra precaution. Two weeks later, she came back with on broken at the tip with a bit of acrylic left on the nail bed. She said it broke when she was cleaning. I thought that she accepted that that was not my fault. We did a rebalance and as there was still a bit of lifting going on, I used primer. Everything went on fine. My prep was great, and application had no bubbles and was lovely shape. Also, they were nice and short, only to the ends of her fingers.

Then, with this set, I get the phone call. As I said, they were fine two days after when they had cured.

I just feel that people expect steel nails. Is there some way that we can market them to say, yes they are strong but if you keep bashing them, they will break. I'm also very upset with the fact that maybe its down to money, and why can't she just say that instead of downing me?!

Feel like jacking it all in, but my heart won't let me. Very down in the dumps. I have loads of people who are happy and don't get any lifting or breakages. I wear them and don't get any lifting, even when I use my left hand to do my right. What is it with people!!? AAAAAgghhhhh!!!!

:cry: :irked: :sad:

Sorry, I lost it a bit because I keep getting worked up over it.

I wanted to add that I can see it from a consumer point of view. If I pay for something, it should last regardless. They are marketed as being strong and tough. This is true, because they are tougher than natural nail, but the average person on the street has differing views on toughness and strength. To some people this could mean that they are stronger than natural nail and they appreciate that you still have to be carefull with them. To others, it may sound like they are made of steel and will be good for getting dirt out of corners of the showers or for piercing through plastic post bags. I just wish that we could educate people better on what to expect from the nails.

ah, chin up babe.....i know how u feel i am going through the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!

For every one idiot customer you get i am sure you've got plenty more happy ones!!!

inspirations said:
I have loads of people who are happy and don't get any lifting or breakages. I wear them and don't get any lifting, even when I use my left hand to do my right.

That little sentence says it all. You have many more clients who successfully wear enhancements and don't have any problems.

Don't let this one woman get you down, it's not your fault if she doesn't care for her enhancements and follow the aftercare advice you've given her.

Maybe you should really reinforce that "yes, they are strong, but if they didn't break they'd cause your natural nail all sorts of problems and damage"

Linzi xox

Don't despair - I think some people just have unrealistic expectations. As you say you wear them yourself and have loads of happy clients - don't let this lady bring you down. I expect it would not matter where she goes she would react in exactly the same way.

Chin up and keep doing what you are doing :wink2:

chrisbow said:
Don't despair - I think some people just have unrealistic expectations. As you say you wear them yourself and have loads of happy clients - don't let this lady bring you down. I expect it would not matter where she goes she would react in exactly the same way.

Chin up and keep doing what you are doing :wink2:

I agree with Chrisbow.

Beautiful nails just don't suit some people they cannot help themselves from picking and biting. My guess is if you charged £70 for them they would still be intact. :lol: sometimes its easy come easy go.
I say this because when I only charged £5 (just covering the basic costs whilst practising) my daughters friends would have them done and they always picked them off after a week, even though I explained how to look after them and told them the dangers of picking them off. And of course I blamed myself that maybe I done something wrong etc etc.

Good Luck

I think that some clients find it very hard not to pick and mess up their nails.
As I have written before, If a client comes back to you and clearly the problem is nothing you have done wrong then charge them no matter what excuses they give make them pay. That way they will think twice about picking their nails off and not looking after them.
You are a professsional running a business not a charity :wink2:

Hiya, don't get upset like you said you have lots of happy clients so its not you.

Just to throw light in the other direction, b4 i did my training and was having nails by a prof nail tech i was just as bad cos i didn't know any better, everytime something happened to my nails i blamed her, not to her face, i was always to polite, but to myself. I used to doubt her skills and think she must be doing something wrong, maybe she was rushing cos she had over booked, or her tips where cheep. If i broke a nail i used to think, Oh well she's good !!! It was only when i started doing my own i realized how much was involved. Then only when I did my training did i think how unfair it was of me to think of her the way i did. Now i can see that the breaks were my fault, and the little picking i did didn't help and that when i was scrubbing the oven without gloves and destroying my nails it wasn't because i thought her products where rubbish.

So just think of it this way, she knows nothing about nails....YOU DO....keep doing what your doing babe, and SMILE. xxx

i'm cruel but when i tell a client who has 'lost' a few that i'm the worst picker in the world, they sort of just confess to me! Then it all comes out how they picked, chewed and nibbled....! needless to say i'm not the worst picker but it helps get at the truth!

Thank you all for your words of encouragement.

I still wish there was a way to convince her that it isn't my fault. If I make a mistake, I admit I am wrong. I can't understand people who hide from the truth and blame somebody else.

amberrose said:
Hiya, don't get upset like you said you have lots of happy clients so its not you.

Just to throw light in the other direction, b4 i did my training and was having nails by a prof nail tech i was just as bad cos i didn't know any better, everytime something happened to my nails i blamed her, not to her face, i was always to polite, but to myself. I used to doubt her skills and think she must be doing something wrong, maybe she was rushing cos she had over booked, or her tips where cheep. If i broke a nail i used to think, Oh well she's good !!! It was only when i started doing my own i realized how much was involved. Then only when I did my training did i think how unfair it was of me to think of her the way i did. Now i can see that the breaks were my fault, and the little picking i did didn't help and that when i was scrubbing the oven without gloves and destroying my nails it wasn't because i thought her products where rubbish.

So just think of it this way, she knows nothing about nails....YOU DO....keep doing what your doing babe, and SMILE. xxx

I agree, when I had nails done by somebody else, I used to blame them, but they never provided aftercare advice either, so it was a bit of their fault. If she listened and followed my advice, she wouldn't have the problems. SHE'S JUST NOT LISTENING TO ME!!!! lol

inspirations said:

I still wish there was a way to convince her that it isn't my fault. If I make a mistake, I admit I am wrong. I can't understand people who hide from the truth and blame somebody else.
it's easier to blame someone else when you don't know any better:rolleyes:

inspirations said:

Hi caz,

Really sorry to hear you are so down.

Look at it like this, there are so many of your clients that are happy with their nails and someone who is so quick to blame someone else has no guts to say that they have done something wrong.

If I were this had happened to me and the client said to me that she thinks she might have been to blame, I would thank her for her honesty and compromise on a price to fix them.

Caz, don't take offence hun

xxx

I am a mug most of the time because I do free repairs for regular clients anyway, so she would only pay for infill or rebalance. I think that that is very reasonable. I have considered doing them again for nothing and going through in detail, how to look after them, but I just think I can't trust her to be honest anyway. Nails don't just come off, otherwise mine would be 'just coming off' wouldn't they?

linzi said:
That little sentence says it all. You have many more clients who successfully wear enhancements and don't have any problems.

Don't let this one woman get you down, it's not your fault if she doesn't care for her enhancements and follow the aftercare advice you've given her.

Maybe you should really reinforce that "yes, they are strong, but if they didn't break they'd cause your natural nail all sorts of problems and damage"

Linzi xox

Ditto - i have had exactly the same experience this week but I am trying to rise above it.....and so will you.

Chin up hun you will soon forget about her

secretarial work pays my mortage - type all day; it does wreck nails, but my nails last better on a week off because then i have time to look after them. My nails get wrecked at work, fixing printer, photocopier etc etc. but it's no excuse! Also if you are sat in an office and you're bored a little lift is just sssooooo pickable!

I know, i know - don't pick, and after care i tell my clients what they should be doing, but sitting in an office can be so frustrating

Caz - don't forget also... CND coatings are strong yes....but they are designed to break with pressure! If they didn't, the natural nail would and the client would be in a heck-of-a-lot more pain if that happened! Be firm when looking at the '2 that came off syndrome' - tell you client... 'oh I can see what's happened here by looking at you nail'.... let them be in no DOUBT that YOU KNOW what has gone on.... MANY HAPPY CLIENTS... one P in the A... as Linzi SAID... says it all... don't be down - YOU ARE DOING GREAT! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Mrs Geek said:
Caz - don't forget also... CND coatings are strong yes....but they are designed to break with pressure! If they didn't, the natural nail would and the client would be in a heck-of-a-lot more pain if that happened! Be firm when looking at the '2 that came off syndrome' - tell you client... 'oh I can see what's happened here by looking at you nail'.... let them be in no DOUBT that YOU KNOW what has gone on.... MANY HAPPY CLIENTS... one P in the A... as Linzi SAID... says it all... don't be down - YOU ARE DOING GREAT! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank you so much. It restored my faith in my product and myself when I read this. I've got to toughen up and be confident that I am doing it right. If it was full of bubbles and really thick up to the cuticle, maybe I would question myself, but I think my nails are ok for the length of time that I have been doing it!! Not perfect I admit, but I reckon my application is good. Yeah...Thank you!!!

Latest posts

Back