Infected nails or not??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Could you give me some advice please.
I had a lady booked in for a new set on sat but when she arrived she still had a few enhancements on from a previous salon. A chinese nail bar close to me had applied them. The thing is, she wasnt happy with them and wanted the rest removed and a new set put on, but her nails were in a really bad state, really bad. They were very yellow, crumbling, almost right down to the cuticle area on some, and i wondered if she might have had something infectious so i refused to do them. she kept insisting that they were like it due to her very poor health and all the medication she has to take and that the doctor had warned her that her nails would suffer as a result. She also said that the little chinese man didnt want to touch them either but she insisted so he did! I know bad can health can have an effect but these looked like they had just been eaten away. I can see why most of the nails had come off. Anyway, i turned her away, she wasn't happy. Has anyone else seen nails like this? and did they put enhancements on or turn the client away? I don't like turning people away, but i can't take the risk of infecting other clients can i? As i am fairly new to the business i wasnt sure if they were a contra-indication or not? any advice please??

i've only seen those symptoms on a person who had a fungal infection on their toenails. sounds pretty similar, i think i would have done the same, just to be on the safe side.

The way I see it is......If in doubt touch nowt...(if thats how you spell it)

If the clients nails are very badly damaged and the nail plate is really thin I wouldn't recomend Enhancements. As for your client I think you did the right thing. May be if she insists on having nails , that she gets a written note from her doc to say that she has no nail infections or fungus etc. Can't say I've actually tried that one, or whether the doc would do that. But may be another geek can enlighten us on that one.:?:

I think you did the right thing in refusing to do them....and the fact that the other "Salon" did them only goes to reinforce the NON STANDARD bit about some of these places!!
If I am ever if the slightest doubt....I always ask for a written pemission from a clients GP....I have GP's consent's attached to several of my client record cards to prove that it is enforcable!
Hth's

Thanks for that Jacky,

I thought you could do that, now you've just confirmed it!
TA!
Jacky said:
I think you did the right thing in refusing to do them....and the fact that the other "Salon" did them only goes to reinforce the NON STANDARD bit about some of these places!!
If I am ever if the slightest doubt....I always ask for a written pemission from a clients GP....I have GP's consent's attached to several of my client record cards to prove that it is enforcable!
Hth's

At the risk of being shouted out by me fellow geeks.....................I would have got her to write down that she had informed me that condition her nails are in is down to medical problems and that she takes full responsibilty. I would have then applied a new set for her.

The reason I say this is that it must be awful for her walking around with her natural nails being in such bad shape so she must be desperate. At least if you'd have done them, you know they would have been done to the highest and most hygenic standards.

Wadya reckon?

Kimmi Rocks said:
At the risk of being shouted out by me fellow geeks.....................I would have got her to write down that she had informed me that condition her nails are in is down to medical problems and that she takes full responsibilty. I would have then applied a new set for her.

The reason I say this is that it must be awful for her walking around with her natural nails being in such bad shape so she must be desperate. At least if you'd have done them, you know they would have been done to the highest and most hygenic standards.

Wadya reckon?

But the fact that the nails were, as the client said, due to her health and medication, I think,would make it all the more reason to check medically that enhancements are suitable for her.
I agree...after seeking that approval...go ahead and give her drop dead gorge nails!
Im not a medical practitioner, only a nail tech and I dont think I would like to tackle a client that clearly has some sort of problem with her nails...medicational side effect or not, without checking first what this condition was.
dunno...perhaps Im being over cautious?

I think you did the right thing here. I have a disclaimer on my client record card. How far would this stand up in court? Sometimes things aren't worth the paper they are written on! (Just my opinion).

Even so, I still probably would have refused. I didn't have somebody with an infection...I did advise a lady with severe onycholysis to not have enhancements applied. They had lifted over half way up her nail beds. She wasn't happy, but took my advice. As you say, it is not worth the risk!!!

Latest posts

Back