Is the market oversaturated with nail techs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really not meaning to hijack the thread...
I wouldnt agree with you there Izzidoll, I only did a 4 day course with star to start off with, I had no more options for ages but I carried on because I love nails and Im commited to it, and to providing a safe and relaxing treatment for clients. Luckily I am now doing my NVQ but even if I didnt have the oportunity to do it I still would of carried on.

Some people dont have the option to carry on their training because of lack of money but it doesnt mean they're not passionate about what they do xxxx

holliejayne said:
Really not meaning to hijack the thread...
I wouldnt agree with you there Izzidoll, I only did a 4 day course with star to start off with, I had no more options for ages but I carried on because I love nails and Im commited to it, and to providing a safe and relaxing treatment for clients. Luckily I am now doing my NVQ but even if I didnt have the oportunity to do it I still would of carried on.

Some people dont have the option to carry on their training because of lack of money but it doesnt mean they're not passionate about what they do xxxx

Big difference even from a 2 day to a 4 day course!........and you do find that the majority of people on a 2 day course are there as they think it is a quick easy way to make money, and not for the love of the work.
I know there are many good and passionate nail techs out there who started this way (myself included!) but most have only achieved true success when they did further training, as you yourself are doing.......

Also the lack of money is a BIG BIG thing...that is why I get so annoyed at fly by night trainers taking up to £500 for a 1 or 2 day course that does not prepare anyone for a job in this industry...that £500 could be better spent!!

Your initial training is THE biggest investment you make in yourself...you have to do your homework and find the best not just for the start but for your continuing career......so HollyJayne I don't think we disagree at all I think we are on the same lines.....

I have been doing nails for only 7 years but I still feel very passionate about it, but now I am also passionate about making sure the students who make the decision to come into the industry and who make the investment in their training get the very best from it....and I certainly don't feel that I churn out nail techs into an already saturated market........

NSS ] what do you class as NSS, no insurance, bad Health and safty ect..
got me wondering, im studing NVQ lv2 and IHBC,i use good products, no MMA i did a short course, cost £800+ they seemed rushed to get eveything in, i get help from the tutors though no probs there!
Whats a bad product? :)
Lisa

NSS is a non standard salon...you are new to the site and this comes up a lot, but please could we not let this subject dominate another thread..pleeeease.....

Lisaj if you click on search and put in nss you will be on the site til Christmas reading through it all...but all the info is there.
....and you sound as though you have done a reputable course especailly if you have ongoing help from tutors...so don't worry......bad products have MMA...so again you have no worries....HTH:lol:

I take your point izzy, and agree with it. the point I was making was that even if all I could afford was a 2 day course where I didnt really learn much, I still would of stuck with it and never given up cos this is my dream and my goal, ambition whatever you want to call it.

I think the point is, it doesnt matter how much training you have when you start out, its about your love for the industry and if you have the determination to succeed and make it work and most people who feel this strongly about it, like me, probably would get more training, but the money issue is a big issue and some just cant afford it and have to go on what they know. xxx

I'm not saying that 2 day courses are bad - that's what I started with, although I was lucky and went straight into a job in a nail salon and that is where I really learned a lot, but have learned so much more in the past 4 years since leaving there with further training and reading.

Hollie, you are one of those that have a passion, are not content with second best and ultimately want to be the best you can. We all have to start somewhere and I cringe at some of the work I used to produce. I think what makes you a good tech as a opposed to a less than mediocre one is the belief that you can ALWAYS improve and learn. Those that don't have this ethos will be here today gone next week!

Sassy Hassy said:
I'm not saying that 2 day courses are bad - that's what I started with, although I was lucky and went straight into a job in a nail salon and that is where I really learned a lot, but have learned so much more in the past 4 years since leaving there with further training and reading.

Hollie, you are one of those that have a passion, are not content with second best and ultimately want to be the best you can. We all have to start somewhere and I cringe at some of the work I used to produce. I think what makes you a good tech as a opposed to a less than mediocre one is the belief that you can ALWAYS improve and learn. Those that don't have this ethos will be here today gone next week!

Yes...we are definitely ALL in agreement on this.........

Exactly, I think most geeks probably started on 2 day courses and they are great for picking up your basic skills, and then you move on and learn more. As for what you said about the salon job and learning so much, I think 99% of your learning is done by experience and practise. Its just a shame they dont do a certificate for that!!

Its nice to have a thread where we talk about real issues xxx

Dont you think that fashion this season may have something with the blank appt books and quiet phones??? This season the shorter nail is in. Ive looked in many mags and seen this all over the pages...short, dark colored nails. Just a thought! Also, can someone educate me on how someone can get a 2-3 day course and do nails??? Im not familiar with the UK and how you become certified and licensed. Here in the states (depending on which state you live in) there are hours you must complete which includes theory, practice, testing and actual clients!!! We then have to take a state board exam (hands on and written). How is the industry regulated over that way???

It isnt regulated! thats the point. do a search hun xx

Tanya, there are no regulations and that's partly the problem. But if you have them over there then how do the NSS (or chop shops as you call them) get their licences? Over here you can go into your wholesalers, buy the equipment and set up shop immediately without ANY training whatsoever.

They have to go thru the same training as we do but a lot dont speak english so they bring translators. I think there were 5 out of 13 in my class that had translators with them. When they take their written exam it is in that persons own language and when they take the hands on exam they have a translator also but this is not at the expense of the states....its up to the individual. We had about a year or so ago, a NSS salon that had one license and 6 people were working off of that license. the state is cracking down some and it is scareing a few but as soon as the state slacks off.....they will be up and running again!

to buy from a whole seller over here you must show your license. If not, they have a database handy and type your name in when you make a purchase. A lot of times you get girls who let them purchase items without checking!!!!

I am completely shocked that there is no one to regulate the industry over there!!!!! Do they realize that they could make money just charging fees for the licenses, reissuance of licences (every 2 years, work permits, independent contractors license (which is a bunch of bull poopy to me)!!!!! I been reading all your posts and couldnt figure out what the fuss was about......im sorry for being so ignorant on the subject. I think its a disgrace that you could just set up shop like that.....no wonder your so angry.

I feel you could say the same of virtually every service out there. But what I have noticed is that although there are about 20 hairdressers in my town, The ones that are always busy are the more expensive, chic looking ones.
If I was not a tech but a client I would be looking for a tech who gave me the best looking lasting nail enhancements and I would pay the upper price to get these.

Peter Pan said:
i totally agree.... where i am, we are overrun with nail techs alot of them just coming out of college and think they can make a quick buck.

i had a new client just last night, she had been to another tech who insists on telling her clients that "once you been to her you wont go anywhere else" the best of it is she is now using creative pots with other products in them, she used to do this with opi pots too, her work space is dirty, she doesnt prep at all, no client consultation form, no aftercare, nothing, i have been told all this from clients that used to go to her, i also get told that most of the other techs (from clients that used them) that not one of them do a thorough prep, consultation, or aftercare - THEIR LOSS, MY GAIN.

I am also finding this with clients. There are always gonna be those who dont mind a sub standard set of enhancements but there are also those who do appreciate the work and attention to detail you pay. Including consultation, prep, aftercare etc. I often get told by new clients that this is the first time they received aftercare advice!! I am finding this with beauty treatments also, no testing heat of wax or aftercare etc.

I can go to the hairdressers and pay £40 - £50 for my hair cut & cloloured because i like the job she does. I think our clients that are loyal also thick this way about us. I dont think there is any need at all to sell ourselves short if we are producing a good standard of work.

holliejayne said:
Sorry this was meant to be short but I got a bit carried away .....

I always worry about this. There arent a huge amount of salons around here, but of the ones we do have Id say 75% are NSS. Brighton is one place where I would imagine that ignorance of NSS treatment among clients is a big problem. Im sure trinity would agree (where is she by the way???)
I always hope that im not wasting my time doing all this training and practising to then start working and then theres no demand because everyone goes to a NSS.

I do think a lot of people are going into nails, all the courses in and around brighton are really booked up, but then if you think about it, some people learn so that they can do their own or friends nails, some learn cos they think its an easy career where they can make loads of money, then when they know the truth, they give up. and some people just arent cut out for this industry and fail.

As for what your saying about the cheaper salons around you sass, hopefully soon there will be a lot more in the media about NSS and MMA and the public will be better educated about the danger and will realise that teech's who charge a higher price do so for a reason, because they offer quality work! You are absolutly right to stick to your prices sass. remember, YOU are at a much higher standard than those other salons, simply because you care enough about your clients nails and health to not use cheap nasty products, thats what makes you worth more. and soon hopefully more people will realise that.

I have to agree with you Hollie - there aren't that many salons and i'm the opposite end of Brighton to you. of the people i know, the salons are often booked up and of the mobile tech that does my nails - she doesn't have to advertise as she is always booked up too. I've only seen one advert in the Friday ad and that belongs to Trinity Nails. One of the reasons i've decided to train is because i've been having my nails done for nearly 2 years now and I'm never quite happy with them. The salons I've experienced have always been a bit rushed and I'm not the kind of person to complain - I mean they have been ok - I just want them better. So i'm kinda hoping this makes me want to produce sets that I am happy with and I don't expect to be "qualified" as soon as i've done my initial training.
As for the NSS salons in Brighton - I've never been to one but have expereinced people saying to me "ooh you can get your nails done for less than a tenner down London Rd and it doesn't take long...." to which I'm fast learning to reply "ah but do you know......bla bla bla"

Ps Hollie Trin is on holiday....... sunning herself on some Greek island!!

Great thread Sassy!!

Yes there is a massive 'invisible' number of hobby nail technicians (I really don't like calling them nail technicians) or amateurs out there that initially may be taking business out of the professionals' pockets. Because many women see it as a way of getting free nails or bargain nails. These ladies will return to the salon when their nails don't go well because they love having enhancements ... trouble free enhancements!

There is nothing so loyal as a convert ... whether it be a former NSS client or a returning client who has tried going the cheap route. Those of you who are the good ones need to hang in there because you will win in the end. The good ones always do. To any consumers reading these posts take note.
  • A good set of nails ( that means a set done with good products that last, by a technician who values the health of YOUR nails, WILL take not less than an hour to 1.5 hours to complete.
  • Ask if the technician is insured -- really an insurance certificate should be displayed in the working area.
  • Ask if the preparation of your nails will entail any filing/etching of the surface of the natural nail -- if they say yes, then avoid that technician for it is not necessary to do this when good products are used and it is detrimental to the health of your natural nails.
  • Look for signs that good sanitation is carried out by the technician. Implements clean, desk clean ad free of dust, files clean and free of dust ... hand sanitizer used by both you and the technician before the start of treatment ... these are all signs of a conscientious technician who is concerned about high standards.
  • Ask if the technician has a portfolio of some of the work she has carried out or any letters of commendation she/he can show you from satisfied clients.
  • Make sure the technician carries out a thorough client consultation with you before embarking on your treatment ... a record should also be kept of each appointment you have attended and what you had done.
  • The technician you choose should also display a good standard of dress and appearance ... which should give you some idea that they are conscious of standards in other areas.
  • A good technician will give you the client 100% of her/his attention while you are having a treatment.
Feel free to add anymore to this list ladies and gentleman.

holliejayne said:
I take your point izzy, and agree with it. the point I was making was that even if all I could afford was a 2 day course where I didnt really learn much, I still would of stuck with it and never given up cos this is my dream and my goal, ambition whatever you want to call it.

I think the point is, it doesnt matter how much training you have when you start out, its about your love for the industry and if you have the determination to succeed and make it work and most people who feel this strongly about it, like me, probably would get more training, but the money issue is a big issue and some just cant afford it and have to go on what they know. xxx

I half agree and half disagree with this.

Its all very well and good being passionate about something, but if you dont have a sound basic knowlege of the subject your never going to be any good.

I love football, but that passion alone wouldnt get me playing in the premiership! Id not only have to be trained by the best coaches out there, but id have to train for however many hours a day with them!

BUT... once you have that knowlege, passion is what will make you successful and stand out from the 'fly by nights' that we are concerned about.

I get what you mean, what I was trying to say was more about once youve got your basic skills, maybe with a less reputable company like me and still making it work. Im not very good at wording things! x

Ask if the preparation of your nails will entail any filing/etching of the surface of the natural nail -- if they say yes, then avoid that technician for it is not necessary to do this when good products are used and it is detrimental to the health of your natural nails.
This just makes me cringe at the thought of 'etching' someones nails!!

Hi,

Just wanted to say that a technician who used to do my mums nails was trained with creative and had loads of certificiates on her salon walls - however this didnt stop her from completely ruining my mums nails - sometimes the lure of money overcomes any training and will get people who know better to perform bad practises!!

PS - if those of us who have only done a 2 day course dont have lots of practise how are we ever going to improve!! Everyone was a beginner once upon a time!!

jessica brooks said:
Hi,

Just wanted to say that a technician who used to do my mums nails was trained with creative and had loads of certificiates on her salon walls - however this didnt stop her from completely ruining my mums nails - sometimes the lure of money overcomes any training and will get people who know better to perform bad practises!!

PS - if those of us who have only done a 2 day course dont have lots of practise how are we ever going to improve!! Everyone was a beginner once upon a time!!

This is why NVQ's are great, because you get to practice and practice untill your at a decent standard. Im not sure about nail NVQ's but for my beauty NVQ i came out of college and straight into a salon. and i was ready to start clients. at college we had about 15 hours of commercial salon a week to do clients then the rest was theory. this gets you to a decent standard in a training environment.

even so, this doesnt mean that your the best you can be, so you need to keep pushing yourself and learning more as you go along.

Latest posts

Back