Is the market oversaturated with nail techs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jessica brooks said:
Hi,

PS - if those of us who have only done a 2 day course dont have lots of practise how are we ever going to improve!! Everyone was a beginner once upon a time!!

Yes but in my experience the phrase "PRACTISE MAKES PERFECT" is
very misleading!

PRACTISE MAKES PERMANENT!!!...if you don't really know what you are doing and just keep doing it again and again you are just reinforcing bad habits.....you need to make sure you get the best training you can.... and practise the proper way of doing things to get to a higher standard.....

And yes I take your other point that despite having had expert training, unfortunately, some technicians decide to cut corners and go against what they have been trained to do for monetary reasons...which does backfire on them eventually when their clients find someone who does things properly!. and takes their business there.........

jessica brooks said:
Hi,

Just wanted to say that a technician who used to do my mums nails was trained with creative and had loads of certificiates on her salon walls - however this didnt stop her from completely ruining my mums nails - sometimes the lure of money overcomes any training and will get people who know better to perform bad practises!!

PS - if those of us who have only done a 2 day course dont have lots of practise how are we ever going to improve!! Everyone was a beginner once upon a time!!

Jessica you are so right. Certificates don't always mean what they say, it just shows that they attended courses half the time, they are not always a qualification when you actually have to perform under test conditions. But maybe if your mum knew the points that Geeg has highlighted then she would have stopped the technician from completing the service before the damage occurred. However damage can also be caused by the client picking them off, so it's important to give good aftercare advice as well.

It's a chicken an egg situation with the how do I get experience when salons will only employ experienced people. But you need to see the difference between the different types of techs out there.

There are those that do a 2 day course and know that this is just the beginning of a long road of education. They have the passion and drive to get better and improve not only to increase their skills and give a better service to their client, but also from a business point of view as they see it as an investment for their future. They will practice on anything that moves to get better, they keep their prices at a reduced rate and put them up as their skill increases. Most importantly they love what they do.

Then you get those that think that nails is an easy career, and that there is no skill involved, that they are qualified and ready to advertise as a nail tech. They either charge the full going rate thinking that they have a licence to print money, or they decide that they'll charge mega silly cheap prices and undercut the rest of us. They con the public into thinking that are fully qualified and capable and when people see the resultant mess that they have made they think that this is what nails is all about and refuse to ever have them done again. These people don't stay in business long because they have no business ethics or ability and they have no passion for what they do.

Definatly agree that we all need to keep learning!! I dont think you can ever learn enough!! :) But some people could learn all their lives and still make a slap-dash job of it because they can earn more money by doing it quickly and this is what give everyone a bad name and give people the impression that ' fake nails ruin your nails'.
I think that no matter what people say or who you tell its impossible to stop these people as they have loads of qualifications - just not the morals to do a proper job of it! And most clients dont know the difference between good and practise so keep going to them.
Personally i did the four day creative course as i work full time and so the amount of time i had was limited, but just because i have only completed a short course doesnt mean im not constantly saving for another course! But us beginners need to practise lots otherwise we will never be able to call ourselfs professionals!! :)

"Jessica you are so right. Certificates don't always mean what they say, it just shows that they attended courses half the time, they are not always a qualification when you actually have to perform under test conditions. But maybe if your mum knew the points that Geeg has highlighted then she would have stopped the technician from completing the service before the damage occurred. However damage can also be caused by the client picking them off, so it's important to give good aftercare advice as well."

(Sorry - had to copy and paste as not quite sure how to get it in the quote box!! )

If mum knew the damage that was being caused she definatly would have stopped going - who wants to pay £32 for nails that ping off!! However this tech had convinced my mum that it was her fault they were falling off. As soon as i had done a reputable course with a reputable trainer there was no way mum was going back!! And we realised it wasnt my mums fault it was the dodgy tech as mum follows my after care advise religiously!!
Maybe thats where the problem lies - clients who are ignorant to what is right/wrong??? So maybe the more the nail business grows and the more clued up people become they will demand a good tech and the bad ones will soon be put out of business??

In answer to your questions, no I don't think the market is saturated where I am (I'm in Australia) and while I can't comment for an entire nation, the people I went through college with are all still doing nails. This number is five times higher than the number I ended up with at uni.

From where I sit, I find a lot of people here get into nails after one or two careers, they're in their thirties, want a job where they can work at home and gain satisfaction from. To be honest, I cannot recall meeting anyone doing nails not enjoying it or gaining satisfaction from it. Some branch out and do beauty therapy as well (something I am currently considering) but it's usually to complement rather than compete with the nail end of their business.

Personally, I think it's a great industry to get into and offers a lot of opportunity. I'm not sure where I am with the prospect of industry regulation, though.

HI
im only 16 and ive been doing nails for about 1yr or just over. ive recently finished school with my gcses and i love doing nails and where i live there are so many nail techs and half of them dont know anything about what they are doing. im really into this industry and am training to become a beautician as well. i find that people do not trust me as much as older and more experienced techs because of my age. i have many certificates because of this situation. just proves that how ever good or bad you are how many certificates you have you will still get alot of criticism.
luv cheeky kim
:D

Great Thread Sassy...as always x

Loved reading all these replies...really gritty...I think a combination of training and passion is vital.

The phones are quiet at the minute but then so is the hairdressers where i live...holiday credit card statements are rolling in and people are just realizing that Xmas is round the corner...i am sure it will pick up again.

I live in a village and only advertise in my village...i have been very busy...with new and regular clients until 3 weeks ago...now its mainly my regular clients with maybe 1 or 2 new clients a week...some i proberly wont see again and some that have re-booked. So i have arranged to advertise in the next village now...i started to wonder if you can exhaust somewhere..? have i had my fair share of my village...?

I noticed a new nail techs ad in my local fish and chip shop...priced at £43 for a full set. I looked at the ad as i would a client...It was a amateurish, basic ad...expensive (IMO) for where i live and in a chip shop..? sorry but i wouldn't ring her. I haven't seen her nails , she may be very good but i don't see her as a threat. I am more than happy with my work and my prices...I ain't changing a thing...just broadening my advertising to a bit further afield.

I have known of nail techs popping up from time to time...then stop saying its not for them...what they mean is they arnt prepared to put the work in...they may have problems and just jack it in thinking its not worth it...where as i would want to get to the bottom of the problem and solve it.

Stand firm...keep doing your best and most of the others will drop out...have seen it happen.

Ohh and i was happy to see that i ticked all of the boxes on that list Geeg....made me feel good infact...lol xxxx

holliejayne said:
Really not meaning to hijack the thread...
I wouldnt agree with you there Izzidoll, I only did a 4 day course with star to start off with, I had no more options for ages but I carried on because I love nails and Im commited to it, and to providing a safe and relaxing treatment for clients. Luckily I am now doing my NVQ but even if I didnt have the oportunity to do it I still would of carried on.

Some people dont have the option to carry on their training because of lack of money but it doesnt mean they're not passionate about what they do xxxx

Agree with you here Holliejayne. I did a 4 day course in gel and extensions followed by a day course in mani and pedi because this is what I could afford. My educator has been in the business for over ten years and her students can go back to her at any time if they are not sure about things or have a problem. I attend open days as often as possible to pick up tips and learn new things. It is my enthusiasm and passion for nails that makes me do this. A person who is well trained with NO PASSION can be wourse than a person with little training but zeal and passion. I have sooo much more to learn and look forward to it, but hope I am not thought to be inferior in the nail industry because of my comparative lack of traing. I will pay to learn more as and when I can.

In my area there is a college that offers free short courses in nails to under 21s, which are, needless to say, very popular. The problem is, the woman who teaches passes everyone, good or bad. This means that my area is full of these girls who are straight out of college, have never been corrected on bad technique & some are working without insurance, etc., often charging as little as £10 or £15 as it's just extra pocket money to them. There are also a large number of nail salons, techs in hairdressers, tanning/beauty salons, etc. around so I do have a lot of competition. People comment that my prices are too expensive but I am a Master technician so I feel that my prices reflect my education & there are other salons around who charge more than I do. The main problem is the perception that all nail products & technicians are the same. If I was a client with no experience I would probably go for a £10 set rather than a £30 set to save money. I am sick of hearing the old 'acrylic nails ruined my own nails, I'll never wear them again' routine but I try to educate people to pay more attention to the tech's qualifications & ability than their prices. The problem is not that there are so many techs around, it's that there are so many BAD techs around undercutting us on price. It is too easy for people to do these free courses & aim to make lots of money rather than doing a good job. I know there are people who have done these courses & gone on to do well but on the whole, most stop doing nails when they realise there is more to it than taking money. Obviously I can't possibly do a full set of nails for £10 when I have staff wages & bills to pay but I do my best for every client so they go away happy. My regular clients realise that I have invested a lot of time & money in my training but the one-off clients don't. They only look at the price.I think if the profile of nail services was raised & potential clients had more knowledge, people would shop around more sensibly & those of us who make the effort to do our best every time would benefit.Sorry if I took this off track & waffled on a bit!

It is the same problem in the beauty industry all over. Loads of people are training in courses eg 1 or 2 day waxing courses and expect to be good at waxing. For many they see it as quick and extra income but it isn't their main living. They are not relying on it to pay the mortgage and the bills.

It is easy to get insurance and I think the insurance companies bear a lot of responsibility for the current situation.

I have friends who will never ever go and have, say, gel nails done again because they've paid lowish prices and the gel lifts. They don't see those prices as low. They see them as quite expensive for a treatment that has to be maintained every 2 weeks. They aren't cheap skates and they earn enough to easily cover the cost but they do not see the skill involved as many of us don't until we have a go. So they tell everyone they know not to have gel done because it never lasts. Most of us have this attitude in different areas. I have a friend who eans over £100,000 a year and buys all her clothes at Primark because a skirt's a skirt. Others buy cheap electrical goods, whatever.

It is difficult for them to know who is good and who isn't. They assume that if a person is trained then they are trained to the same level as everyone else. It is therefore the product that is not good.

Nails is seen as an easy option by most people. All you do is put on a bit of gel and have a chat.

I wonder really if there is any money to be made in the industry for people like me. There may well be 'career' therapists but I'm a mum who wants to build a practice and work locally. In the last month I have had leaflets from 2 other mobile therapists put through my door so I've definitely got competition. The thing is that I've tried out a couple of those mobiles and they do a very basic job and should not be competition in the sense of 'quality' but they are from the point of quantity and if they do a crap job then they may well be tarring me and other home salons with the same brush. I can honestly say that after the last manicure I had, I would feel that the reason this lady was mobile was that her work wouldn't pass in a salon and if I wanted a decent job maybe I would be better off going to a salon.

The other thing I think is that many of us (and this is common in the threads) I've read is that we hope people will 'discover' us. I don't think this is at all true. Many of us won't survive this purely because it is our income not hobby money. Some of us explain by comments which are more like 'dropping hints'. I like the 'hints' I've read but I don't think they are enough. Think we need to be more pro-active and fight our corner better.

Hello Sassy,

I'm new to this site so a little nervous to finally join in. I have read your comments with interest and I have qualified as a Creative Nail Technician with a view to setting up from home. Now the thing is, we never covered any nail art or gel nails just the L&P and Sculpted.

What I would like to know is what training you have had to get to where you are now, I want to be an excellent Technician and would appreciate any hints and tips on being able to offer an excellent service to my clients.

Many thanks,

Nora

In my area the only" nail tech's"are beauty therapists who have added this to there price list and are rolling out terrible nails, ski jump tips, no rebalances, so I am going to train from scratch, take my time and learn everything there is to know, I have to say though at first I also thought nails were soooo easy to do! Not now though I am sooo addicted that I want to be able to produce perfect nails for my clients and I am never completely satisfied with the nails I do, but to me you should never become complaicent!

FEEBYBOOFAY said:
Hello Sassy,

I'm new to this site so a little nervous to finally join in. I have read your comments with interest and I have qualified as a Creative Nail Technician with a view to setting up from home. Now the thing is, we never covered any nail art or gel nails just the L&P and Sculpted.

What I would like to know is what training you have had to get to where you are now, I want to be an excellent Technician and would appreciate any hints and tips on being able to offer an excellent service to my clients.

Many thanks,

Nora
Crikey what course haven't I done!

Started with a 2 day EZ flow in L&P and then worked in a salon for a year. I would watch the senior techs and quiz them like crazy about what they were doing, and get them to watch me and give me tips. I worked thre for a year, but my work wasn't that great I have to be honest.

Then I went self employed and converted to Alessandro gels with 2 days training with them.

After a year I switched to LCN. Again a conversion course, and over 3 years I have done their courses in sculpting, trouble shooting, nail art, manicure , pedicure, Level 1 qualification, level 2 advanced qualification, phasique conversion, I think that's it!

Then this year I did a conversion course to Fabric#. Not sure what I have on the agenda for next year!

If you can get a place in a good salon then that is the best experoence you can get. HTH

ps welcome to the board and don;t be shy!

Sassy Hassy said:
Crikey what course haven't I done!

Started with a 2 day EZ flow in L&P and then worked in a salon for a year. I would watch the senior techs and quiz them like crazy about what they were doing, and get them to watch me and give me tips. I worked thre for a year, but my work wasn't that great I have to be honest.

Then I went self employed and converted to Alessandro gels with 2 days training with them.

After a year I switched to LCN. Again a conversion course, and over 3 years I have done their courses in sculpting, trouble shooting, nail art, manicure , pedicure, Level 1 qualification, level 2 advanced qualification, phasique conversion, I think that's it!

Then this year I did a conversion course to Fabric#. Not sure what I have on the agenda for next year!

If you can get a place in a good salon then that is the best experoence you can get. HTH

ps welcome to the board and don;t be shy!

you forgot brisa sass !!!!

cough cough, I didn't actually do a conversion course to Brisa! I've been a gel girl for 4 years and switched over with no probs!

I hope I am not repeating anything anyone has already said.

Yes I think the market has become a little saturated but I think this is GOOD - Why :Scared:

Because there are so many out there who may have done a 1/2 day course and are now 'practising nails' so-to-speak:Scared: they will inevitably be damaging the reputation of the nail industry. These teks won't last long and they will realise (as their clients seek out a better alternative) that they either have to 'learn the art properly' or 'seek an alternative career'.

Hence - this will start to leave the 'serious' teks who do a decent job and then hopefully the industry itself will see a turn-around becuase the majority of teks out there doing nails will be trained and experienced.

It was ineviable that this would happen which is why now more than ever, it is so important to distinguish yourself above your competition and make a 'good' name for yourself amoungst your peers! HTH's :Love:

I know waht you mean about the market being oversaturated with nails techs. But.... I'm pretty new to the business, been going for 15 months now and I'm serious about training and being the best I can be. Not all new techs are cowboys trying to make a quick buck. A lot of girls are genuinly wanting to make it good in this business and everyone has to start somewhere. I did a crappy 3 day training course to start with but soon realised the error of my ways through things like Scratch mag and this fab site and re-trained with a reputable company.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if "newbie's" (for want of a better word) are training and practicing and really wanting this as a career, other people in the industry should be helping and encouraging them. We can't all be brilliant after a few weeks, as we all know. I'm constantly striving to be better and better and hopefully if I put the hard work in, I will reap the rewards when I'm doing the best nails in the area!:)

I don't think anyone should sit on their laurels and think that they're good therefore the competition can't take their customers away. I know people go elsewhere esp NSS coz of crazy prices but if its for workmanship then we all need to be watching our backs for new techs around that may overtake us!

Sorry if that was a bit long winded and confusing! I'll stop now!:eek:

I understand where Claireamy is coming from completely. Know this also, it is often those ladies who have been 'doing' nails for 15/20 years - who think they are so experienced that they don't need to do any updated training - they are the ones that cause the most nail damage because they are so behind the times!

Claire - if you are serious (and you certainly sound it) - you WILL succeed without a shadow-of-a-doubt!

Know your stuff - knowledge is power; clients can recognise a pro (generally) a mile off; trying to blag it, is a sure-fire way to hanging yourself (or your career).

Go Get 'em Claire! :)

Well done Claire. The other thing I find is that when "newbies" call some existing salons for advice etc they get short shrift and no information.

In the last year I think I have had 3 girls call me to get advice about training and setting up - I give information and advice based on my experience, freely - sometimes not what they want to hear LOL.

I would rather have the competition from a great technician who is well trained than from poor technicians.

Sassy Hassy said:
My thoughts exactly Jac. too many people thinking they can do a 2 day nail course and be fully qualified and charge what they like. Although it's not a new industry in this country there has been such a huge increase in the past few years and I think it has grown too quickly, too much misinformation etc. I just hope it all settles down and the whole industry is taken more seriously, with more emphasis on the good and not on the bad and downright ugly!

I'd just like to agree with that! I myself did a two day nail course, and I know for certain that there is NO way i'd start selling my ability until its of a decent and proffessional quality. I knew that I would need alot of practice and build up technique. After those two days I didnt know half as much as I needed to until I checked this site out and read up on it. I know that my short course was only to give me a taster of what was to come - But many feel that this leaves them as qualified to do a service, I know the other girls in the course thought so.

Once im more confident I will enlist on a course with a reputable company and I know I will learn a heck of a lot more!
Like anything in life, you never stop learning. Everyday is a new lesson! (god i sound cheesy!!!) But its what i believe. Doctors dont stop learning the second they leave med school, so why should anyone else!

Latest posts

Back