Is this an allergy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Mingaud

Reaction score
I have a client who has had acrylic nails sporadically for a few years. I have never really had any problems with her nails, or skin, but the last 2 times she has reported that her skin and nail beds have been very sore after acrylic application. I have been a tech since 2002 and my application method is good (I’m not getting any on the skin). When I come to rebalance her nails, the skin is really thinned and grazes very easily if I catch it in anyway, even with a blunt buffer block. She says that for a week or so after application the skin is peeling around her nails and her nail beds are tender. Is this an allergic reaction? I have never come across this before so just need some advice. She is coming in next week for a soak off and wants Shellac applied, but if she is allergic to acrylic will Shellac be ok?

I have searched the threads and cannot find a specific answer to my query. Thanks.

Maybe she has developed an over sensitivity to the product, have you changed product? Have you been the only one who's done her nails over the years or has she visited other salons? Do you do gel, could you try her with that?

Also does she take any medication?

Also does she take any medication?
I think I am the only one yes, and no to the medication. But I will double check. Thanks x

It certainly sounds like over-exposure which can lead to full allergic reaction. Its not necessarily the L&P she's reacting to, it could be dehydrator, cuticle temover, cuticle oil, your handwash or anything.....You'll only find out with proper allergy testing or careful trial and error but I don't think I'd be testing thungs on a client with that severity of reaction.

Latest posts

Back