Is this normal or a really bad job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerlilymk

Reaction score
I have a question and am looking for advice from the professionals. A little bit of background first: I have natural nails that tend to break about halfway down the nail bed. Obviously it's very painful. In looking for options for a solution, I've been doing Gelish polish for six months or so. I finally got to the point that I was tired of messing with it and decided to go to a salon and get acrylics. I had them put on in early December and was fairly happy with them. I've been getting a fill every 2 - 3 weeks at the same salon. There are two women there who do nails, and each has done a fill. Two weeks ago I had a back fill done because my natural nail was separating from the acrylic (maybe the nail tip that had been glued on, I'm not 100% sure). Before the backfill was done, I could not see any of my natural smile line.

This is what my nails look like today, two weeks after the back fill and about 2 1/2 months since application:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1526/nailsh.jpg

nailsh.jpg

My question is should they look like this? Or is there a problem? The last time I had acrylics was 10 - 15 years ago and I honestly don't remember what they looked like at that point. The dark lines you can see are previous nail polish colors that were not completely removed with nail polish remover before the fill was done. I can count the fills I've had like the rings on a tree after you cut it down. You can see each new section.

The person who applied them initially is the same woman who did the back fill two weeks ago. If it's poor work, I don't want to return to that salon to keep paying money for a mess. But if this is how it should be, maybe this isn't the solution I thought it was.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not a qualified nail tech but I'm pretty sure that it looks like a very bad job,but like a said I'm not a nail tech but if they were my nails and looked like that then I wouldnt go back to that salon. I do my own nails and they have never looked like that,even when I havent applied them correctly and got lifting its never been that bad but I'm no nail tech,it may be something to do with your natural nails I dont know,someone will come along who is qualified and answer your question but to me it looks like a bad job

I looks like you have a lot of lifting. I would recommend having them removed.

Bad job. Have them removed.

Thank you ladies for the quick answers! I'm actually relieved to know it's as bad as I thought. I'm completely embarrased by them and hated paying $25 - 35 every few weeks for them when I felt all I could do is cover them with polish.

I never had lifting when I was doing the gelish system, so I'm not sure if it's the acrylic, my nails, the salon or some combination of everything. Should something be done at the time of a fill if there is lifting? I'd like to be a little more informed next time around.

Is it possible for me to soak them off with acetone or is it best to have a salon remove them and start over?

Thank you ladies for the quick answers! I'm actually relieved to know it's as bad as I thought. I'm completely embarrased by them and hated paying $25 - 35 every few weeks for them when I felt all I could do is cover them with polish.

I never had lifting when I was doing the gelish system, so I'm not sure if it's the acrylic, my nails, the salon or some combination of everything. Should something be done at the time of a fill if there is lifting? I'd like to be a little more informed next time around.

Is it possible for me to soak them off with acetone or is it best to have a salon remove them and start over?

Its a bad job,(I'm not a qualified nail tech so this is my opinion) if you didnt have problems with gel lifting then I have to think its just a bad job and to be honest,if you had lifting and/or polish left then they would have or should I say they should have removed the area of lifting and the polish then carried on with the fill and not left it like that,obviously if they havent addressed the lifting then just placing acrylic over the top would make it worse and those look shocking. I've had no training whatsoever but if I had done anyones nails and they looked like that then I would question my abilities. Acetone soak to remove those and I would suggest you either go back to a system that you know works for you,ie the gel but if you really want to keep acrylics then go to a different salon,if they are doing someones nails while you are there booking an appt then ask if you can watch. Sorry about your bad experience,hope the next one is more positive

do not go back to this salon!

go to a new place and have them removed. have the new nail tech check for any damage and see what they recommend once they see your natural nail. Since you are not trained in enhancements I would not remove them yourself, you could cause more damage.

if there is any lifting it MUST be removed before a fill is done. Not doing so can result in a bacterial infection if moisture gets under the acrylic nail.

you should not see any lifting or fill lines in a proper job! and the fact that the tech couldn't even be bothered to remove all of the polish before doing the fill is worrying!

get them off asap

Last edited:
Eww gross. I didn't think about something growing under there.... I'd also considered just letting them grow out and filing them down till it was gone, (so I'd have healthy nail to start over with) but I never considered that an infection was a possibility because of how poorly they've been done.

If they are lifting and that part needs to be removed, how would that be done? Is it filed down to the natural nail or do they cut it off? There was one time I went for a fill (I believe it was the first one) that she used a pair of manicure clippers and cut some of the lower portion off. It hurt quite a bit, and that's the only time that was done.

I'm definitely going to be doing some research into local salons before I make another appointment!

I'm pretty sure they gently file until the lifted bit has gone and then carry on with the fill. They shouldnt cut it at all. But then as I said I'm not a tech,someone should answer you soon but I would file gently and not cut

My opinion is because there is SO MUCH lifting, I would have them removed and start over.

Last edited:
Eww gross. I didn't think about something growing under there.... I'd also considered just letting them grow out and filing them down till it was gone, (so I'd have healthy nail to start over with) but I never considered that an infection was a possibility because of how poorly they've been done.

If they are lifting and that part needs to be removed, how would that be done? Is it filed down to the natural nail or do they cut it off? There was one time I went for a fill (I believe it was the first one) that she used a pair of manicure clippers and cut some of the lower portion off. It hurt quite a bit, and that's the only time that was done.

I'm definitely going to be doing some research into local salons before I make another appointment!

they should never cut off any lifting. doing this can cause nail plate damage...by prying the product up and off where is it still attached taking nail plate with it. this is probably why it hurt when she did that!

any lifting should be filed back down or soaked off.

My opinion is because there is SO MUCH lifting, I would have the removed and start over.

totally agree!

EMJZ has brilliantly covered everything I need to say. I would only say I wouldn't recommend removing them yourself, this could cause you even more damage. Try to find a new salon with a good reputation and give them a call and explain your situation and I'm sure they will be more than happy to remove them for you.

they should never cut off any lifting. doing this can cause nail plate damage...by prying the product up and off where is it still attached taking nail plate with it. this is probably why it hurt when she did that!

Thanks for telling me this! I so appreciate the input and advice from all of you! I'll definitely let a pro take these off and see what the damage is. I feel better equipped to make sure things are done properly next time around. You all are great!

I'm pretty sure they gently file until the lifted bit has gone and then carry on with the fill. They shouldnt cut it at all. But then as I said I'm not a tech,someone should answer you soon but I would file gently and not cut

Although it is nice of you to try to help I also feel that it may be rather irresponsible as you are not yet qualified and are doing DIY acrylics on yourself, friends and family. ( I did check your profile and you state as much) I know you made it very clear that you were not qualified but I hope I am not overreacting by questioning the fact that you are advising on a professional nail forum.

I dont mean this in a nasty way and I hope that you do get your qualifications soon as you sound quite sensible but on the other hand as a professional education site it does not seem quite right that you are advising consumers on a professional service ( even if it is not a good service)

Thanks for telling me this! I so appreciate the input and advice from all of you! I'll definitely let a pro take these off and see what the damage is. I feel better equipped to make sure things are done properly next time around. You all are great!

no problem! hope you get them sorted out soon :)

Although it is nice of you to try to help I also feel that it may be rather irresponsible as you are not yet qualified and are doing DIY acrylics on yourself, friends and family. ( I did check your profile and you state as much) I know you made it very clear that you were not qualified but I hope I am not overreacting by questioning the fact that you are advising on a professional nail forum.

I dont mean this in a nasty way and I hope that you do get your qualifications soon as you sound quite sensible but on the other hand as a professional education site it does not seem quite right that you are advising consumers on a professional service ( even if it is not a good service)

Apologies

Apologies
No worries hun, I really don't mean to sound mean and in your defense it was on the consumer queries section and we are all entitltled to airing our opinions. Please dont stop posting, just be wary of giving out advice on the professional forums.

Good luck with your training when you sign up.

I didn't think that Emmie's comments were inappropriate. She was great to say that she wasn't a pro, so I knew right off she didn't have as much experience as the rest of you. She still gave very helpful information and I was able to weigh the advice from those of you who have more experience against hers and get great information all around. I think it's great to have both types of input! Many thanks to all of you! :hug:

I have a question and am looking for advice from the professionals.

I didn't say her comments were inappropriate, but you stated in your original post as above. Hence me reminding her and also stating that I do not mean to sound harsh and also encouraging her to keep participating in the forum and also encouraging her to do her training.

If you read rule 13 of the forum rules you will find that this is covered, explaining why I came to her defense stating that she did post in the consumer section but it is still ( in my mind) a breach of the rules. The OP very graciously apologised and I appreciated the fact that she did not start argueing the point and not taking my comments personally.

In answer to your original question, I had a client with nails like this about a year ago, she usually has them done at a salon ( NSS) local to her workplace, she had the little rings that look like a tree as you stated, had lifiting as bad if not worse than yours too. I removed them as I could not repair, if I had buffed off all the bad stuff in prep for the infill she would have had very little enhancement left.

I would get them removed elsewhere and make sure you keep as much evidence such as pictures in case you want to make a claim or report them to Trading Standards.

This is not acceptable as those airpockets are the perfect place for bacteria to flourish and cause infections.

Maybe "inappropriate" was the wrong word to use and was a bit too strong, I apologize. I hadn't had my coffee yet, lol! I wasn't saying I thought you were too hard on her or wrong to point that out to her. I wasn't pointing (badly done) fingers at you in any way. I apologize if it came across that way. I just wanted to voice my feelings as the consumer in question in this particular thread that I did feel her advice was helpful and I appreciated her input and disclosure. In this instance, the fact that even a novice was appalled at the state of my nails really helped me to realize this wasn't just bad, but really bad!

I didn't read the rules, though I did look for them before my initial post and found nothing even after a search for rules today. (I've managed many a forum and always try to find any rules first to be respectful of the existing community.) If there's a link handy, that would be much appreciated and I'd be happy to read them!

I'm in the USA and am not sure if there's something similar to the Trading Standards you mentioned. Would it be appropriate to report this particular salon to some organization over here? That hadn't occurred to me at all. I did leave reviews of the salon on various sites but I didn't realize there might be some licensing organization I should contact.

Again, all of you have been wonderfully helpful and I greatly appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back