Is this normal or a really bad job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Canada but have some nail tech friends in the US. Each state has their own rules/regulations to licencing. Most states require some form of licence to carry out nail services. Have a look on your states website. There will probably be a way to contact them there to ask what's appropriate to do in your situation.

A link to the forum rules is at the bottom of every page, but here is a link:

Salon Geek - Forum Rules

You will have had to agree to these rules before being allowed to make your first post here.

I would certainly try to report the salon, you can be pretty sure that you are not the only one paying them good money for the luxury of contracting a bacterial infection. LOL See what you can find out it might help others avoid what you have experienced.

We have a lot of " cowboy" nail techs over here with the advent of 1,2 or 3 day crash courses. We don't have licensing laws here, once we have a diploma from an accredited training institution we are able to go out and inflict our lack of knowledge and experience on paying clients. Many dont even bother to take out insurance or do training at all.The is industry is not regulated and there are many nightmare stories out there. The fact that there are so many inexperienced techs out there adds to the cheapening of the service too, I have seen full sets of acrylics advertised for as little as £7.50, a Groupon deal for nails and a hair cut and blow dry for £8.00.

Makes you wonder how they are making a living

If you are getting breaks halfway down your nail bed, I would suggest you wear your nails quite short. Wearing any length on your nails will exacerbate this problem. Short is good anyway!

I would certainly try to report the salon, you can be pretty sure that you are not the only one paying them good money for the luxury of contracting a bacterial infection. LOL

That's one luxury I'd like to avoid, lol! I'm surprised that it's not licensed in any way over there. That certainly leaves the door open to a lot of ...well, luxuries of contracting a bacterial infection, or worse.

Zo Zo, I do keep my natural nails fairly short. I'm on a computer for my job, and I have a horse, kids, dogs, etc, so long isn't very practical for me. Once they get to the tip of my finger, they'll start breaking really low. I think the sides of my nail bed where the fingernail starts to grow is lower than normal. At least on my index and thumbs, it's lower than the rest of my fingernails. I've looked for years for solutions. This picture was taken 2 1/2 years ago when I was searching for some answers.

stupidnails.jpg

If I remember correctly, that was a strengthening polish I was using to try to reduce the breaking. Pre-acrylics I'd been having to hold them together with a silk wrap and glue until the crack grew out enough that I could file it or cut it without it hurting.

I'm completely open to suggestions!

Latest posts

Back