Jack's Trapped Thumb

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara Satchell

Reaction score

This is Jack's thumb two weeks after trapping it in the door on holiday (PLEASE CLICK TO ENLARGE). He did it on the first night we were there (20th August). The door had a faulty catch on it and we couldnt get the door open for about a minute after he had trapped it. I put his thumb in ice immediatley for about 10 minutes till the swelling had gone. A week later his thumb started to turn black. Im worried no that he might lose his nail. What do you think? If he does will it grow back? Is there any risk of infection? and finally is there anything i should be doing?

Hi ya Sarah
More than likely he will loose the nail.but doesn't look like the matrix is permanently damaged.[cant see on the inside tho]
Dry & clean-. A bit of scrubfresh if you got it wouldn't hurt either.
Poor lil man ..Hugs Jack

XXJXX

I did this in a car door years ago now Oh how it hurt the first night I had no sleep.

I would say he may lose his nail I did but for infection I was fine but I did go to my GP for some pain killers and he looked at it.

My nail grew back fine I can not even remember which one I lost so he should be ok just keep an eye on it.

Caz xxx

Ouch!
My little fella (21 months) stumped his big toe on one our our doors and boy did he cry, when I looked it looked black straight away. 2 days later he stumped it again and again we had 'real' tears for ages and ages. His toenail has dropped off now and we have to kiss his toe every day to 'make it better'. It looks a damed mess but I am hoping it will regrow back to normal in time.

Hope your little fella's nail isnt too messy if it pops off, I don't think there is anything you can do if its going to drop off it will, but I would have thought the longer it stays put the better the chance of the underlaying bed has chance to recover. Lets hope so anyway :)

At least my little fella can cover his with his socks if it never regrows lol!!

Jack's thumb nail has just fell off!!! :eek:

I've never had experience of this before. He's in floods of tears - hes want's it back on. I don't think it's hurting him, im sure it just feels very weird. Do I need to do anything to it? Is there a risk of infection at all? There doesn't appear to be any open sore bits...

Hi There!

Ooooouch!so sorry it hear about this i hope he feels better very soon.

I am sure it will be fine as long as the area looks nice and dry and no sore bits.

You will soon see a new nail starting to grow two of my kids lost big toe nails and I lost the thumb nail when I was younger.

He will be just great bless him.

Caz xxx

My toddler (almost three) recently did this to her finger. She was at the child minders who didn't witness it at the time but it really went black and blue. I is growing out now and the nail is lifting off the nail bed but growing still and it gives her no probs so I don't think there is any permanent damage. I looked at the phie of your sons finger and I'm sure he'll be fine. The nail will prbably separate from the nail bed but permanent damage is unlikely. Must have been soooo sore.

aww hunny bless his cottons. Hope he gets better soon.

Am sending massive hugs to him and to you.
xxx

Just back from the nurse. She said it's fine. Doesn't need covering as the area is dry. It's hard to explain but it looks kind of "baggy" where the nail should be - almost like you can see up into the inside of his finger - that's why I was worried about infection. Sort of like when you have a tooth removed - it takes a while for the hole to shrink - this is the same.

Latest posts

Back