KeraStraight | Frizz-free, Formaldehyde-Free

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
After trying to bust the Brazlian Blowout myths last week, I wanted to see if there were any viable alternatives out there for salons that want to help those boys and girls that suffer the curse of the frizz. Good news: there are. One of these alternatives is KeraStraight. Trevor Sorbie have just announced a KeraStraight treatment for its male customers (ensuring sleek, slick quiffs no doubt) and, as it’s formaldehyde free, you won’t be clawing your eyes out during the treatment (although, I suppose you won’t care too much about the frizz if the formaldehyde has blinded you, right? Silver lining and all that…)

KeraStraight was launched in 2009. It’s creator Jez Barnett, an experienced hairdresser, looked into his crystal ball and saw that the formaldehyde controversy wasn’t going away and quietly went back to his lab to reformulate his product and KeraStraight was born. It uses a new low pH protein formula and best of all…wait for it…it contains NO aldehydes either in the formula or the vapours…really.

So, it changes all the rules right? If you don’t need to use formaldehyde in your salon to do the job, then why use it? Perhaps the people over at Brazilian Blowout thought it would be more expensive to reformulate their product compared to the cost of paying off those with some pretty nasty side effects. Or perhaps, they simply didn’t know how to do it. Either way, KeraStraight is comparable in price and by all accounts, just as effective. It even does some things better. Unlike Brazilian Blowout, which enforces three days of greasy, horrid hair before you can wash it, KeraStraight allows the stylist to perform the treatment, wash it out and style it in the same sitting.

Not only that, they have now three formula options for various types of hair to ensure that your treatment is as bespoke as possible and, if you don’t have the time, the cash or the need to go the whole keratin-hog, you can get a thirty minute treatment alternative that will give you a frizz-free barnet for up to thirty days. And they’ve got take home products too…

Brazilian who?

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Until then…geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• KeraStraight.jpg
    KeraStraight.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 2,886
There is so many conflicting issues with the frizz free treatments at the moment, i began using Keratin complex smoothing therapy but the distributor i was buying from changed brands and are now supplying Nano keratin system, when i asked they said Coppolla were reformulating which i thought was odd, why fix something if it isnt broke? There must have been a serious reason for this reformulating, it was by far the best product id ever used so why change it? Now im using nano keratin, its equally as good, yes you will have greasy dirty looking hair in the 3 or 4 days of no washing but only if the product has not been applied properly, you need to use minimal product, only enough to infuse the keratin into the hair only using 30-50ml for the full head of hair so this shows how little product you use, if too much is applied then yes the hair will look greasy as the product is dried into the hair and yes there will be obvious fumes within the salon which is natural when ur drying hair that is overloaded in product, if applied correctly this doesnt happen as for the formaldahyde etc, we dont seem to be getting firm facts and we really need them!

There is so many conflicting issues with the frizz free treatments at the moment, i began using Keratin complex smoothing therapy but the distributor i was buying from changed brands and are now supplying Nano keratin system, when i asked they said Coppolla were reformulating which i thought was odd, why fix something if it isnt broke? There must have been a serious reason for this reformulating, it was by far the best product id ever used so why change it? Now im using nano keratin, its equally as good, yes you will have greasy dirty looking hair in the 3 or 4 days of no washing but only if the product has not been applied properly, you need to use minimal product, only enough to infuse the keratin into the hair only using 30-50ml for the full head of hair so this shows how little product you use, if too much is applied then yes the hair will look greasy as the product is dried into the hair and yes there will be obvious fumes within the salon which is natural when ur drying hair that is overloaded in product, if applied correctly this doesnt happen as for the formaldahyde etc, we dont seem to be getting firm facts and we really need them!

The same day wash out version didn't work on my hair. My salon had to re-do it and I went home with the formula still on and left it for 2 days. It did work that time but was never as good as the original one I had done in 2009.

Latest posts

Back