Ladies doing their own nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eve1969

Reaction score
I have had a lady in for waxing that does her own nails, she puts gel on then dips them in acrylic powder "to strengthen them" [emoji15] am I right in thinking this combo won't work it's just the gel that will be giving them stregnth

I have had a lady in for waxing that does her own nails, she puts gel on then dips them in acrylic powder "to strengthen them" [emoji15] am I right in thinking this combo won't work it's just the gel that will be giving them stregnth
Hi, I went and had my nails done with another technician before qualifying and as I told her I often get lifting, she mixed gel with a little bit of acrylic powder for the base application. She said this would help with the lifting problem. It did seem to work but I have no idea if it would affect the overall strength sorry.

I've seen some techs mixing gel and acrylic powder but mainly for nail art, I always wonder how it effects the make up of the 2 separate products and the curing process of each product, and is it any good for your actual nail plate, this combo being directly applied to it, it may seem the gel is cured correctly but is it?

Good lord. Whatever next

Tried it and it works

I've heard of it too. You just give a light buff afterwards.

It's a common technique among DIYers. It's called "Acry-gel" and has caught on among professionals here, although it is clearly not within the manufacturers' instructions. I've tried it on my own nails and it does seem to be an effective technique. You apply the gel polish base, cure it, dip or shake on the acrylic powder, add a layer or two of gel polish and cure, topcoat and cure. I am not convinced of its safety since adding the powder could certainly impact the curing of the gel.

It's a common technique among DIYers. It's called "Acry-gel" and has caught on among professionals here, although it is clearly not within the manufacturers' instructions. I've tried it on my own nails and it does seem to be an effective technique. You apply the gel polish base, cure it, dip or shake on the acrylic powder, add a layer or two of gel polish and cure, topcoat and cure. I am not convinced of its safety since adding the powder could certainly impact the curing of the gel.
I have the same concern with glitter. Sprinkling glitter into an uncured colour coat seems to be very common and recommended but I'm wary to do it.

I have the same concern with glitter. Sprinkling glitter into an uncured colour coat seems to be very common and recommended but I'm wary to do it.

It really brings out the glitter

It really brings out the glitter
I know but I'm worried that it wouldn't properly cure and don't want to risk any over exposure for my clients.

I press glitter into uncured OPI Gelcolor then cure it ? Isn't this how you use glitter? I hope I haven't been doing something im not meant to xx

You're meant to cure the gel first, then press the glitter onto the sticky inhibition layer. Then too coat.

It shouldn't be a problem with glitter. The way to use glitter is to use the base and color coats, cure each one, then press the glitter into the inhibition layer, top coat and cure. Since the top coat is clear, the inhibition layer that holds the glitter will cure during that curing.

It shouldn't be a problem with glitter. The way to use glitter is to use the base and color coats, cure each one, then press the glitter into the inhibition layer, top coat and cure. Since the top coat is clear, the inhibition layer that holds the glitter will cure during that curing.

Thanks, that's what I do.

Yes, people use the sprinkling method though which is applying onto uncured polish then scrubbing and top coating.

I hadn't tried this method till last week, I'd always burnished into inhibition layer but the look was effective. Having tried out this method and the wearability I'm not so sure.... It has also made me wonder if it's 'okay' to do??

The whole sprinkling v burnishing is an odd one. It's recently popped up as if sprinkling is new, but fingernail fixer has videos of rockstar v1 v2 and v3 and these are old videos! Originally it was advised to sprinkle on to uncured colour coats, but people were having problems with longevity. This was because the gel wasn't curing properly under the glitter! So holly came up with the v2 method which is burnishing into the inhibition. Not quite sure why it has all resurfaced recently as something new and different!

I have seen on the magpie group people who sprinkle say they double or triple cure to ensure the gel is properly cured. I'm just not sure whether that actually works or not tbh. If something is blocking the light then repeatedly exposing it to it shouldn't make a difference. As someone who has had some pretty bad allergic reaction to various things over the years, I take client safety really seriously and don't like the idea of risking undercured gel sitting on the nail.

I did try dabbing the other day. This is the same as burnishing but instead of scrubbing the glitter so it's flat, u want to dabb and push at it. If you want to use your finger, make sure you're wearing gloves or stick the centre of a form on the pad of your thumb. Dabbing will get glitter into your topcoat, but it looks like sprinkled without the curing issues. X

That's good to know thanks everyone ! I'm sure I tired putting glitter on the sticky layer on opi when I first tried and it just all came off . Was i doing it wrong ? I know opi is a pure gel and not a hybrid if that makes a difference xxx

I always sprinkle on to an uncured layer of gel polish and ive had no problems with wear - my mum gets 6wks+ wear out of her nails with glitter no matter how ive applied it/cured it :)

I always sprinkle on to an uncured layer of gel polish and ive had no problems with wear - my mum gets 6wks+ wear out of her nails with glitter no matter how ive applied it/cured it :)

I do too it goes super sparkly this way

Latest posts

Back