Lash extensions advice for beginners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Foster

Reaction score
Hi
I have just done an eyelash training course and really just want some tips as I'm doing my first set on a person tomorrow ( my friend) but still!
Ok so I read that for a glamour look start off 8-9 then on the end the biggest like 12. And for older clients start off 8 and then 9 and 10 then use 11 then end it with 10!! To give a wider eye ? Is this correct.
X

Forget actual sizes as you might find that some clients have too big natural lashes and 8-9s might be too small. I had one whose natural middle-eyed lashes were 13 and smallest were 10-11s. Would you imagine me using 8s on her?
What you need to learn is lash mapping. From your post I understand you were shown some basics in your course? Well beyond that it's just practice and research. There is a thread here somewhere, i'm sure you'll find it if you try the search bar, that shows some lash maps. Youtube has a couple of good videos too. I'll try and post them later if I find them.

Yeah I understand now. I did some yesterday for first time and found her lashes was very long. So as was my first set I did half set. And eyes had a nice flick to them. Not to much but looked good. She liked them x

What do you mean you did a half set? I was never taught that and never tried it either

What do you mean you did a half set? I was never taught that and never tried it either
Yes most places I know offer half. And full. Half is to get more flirty look 25-30 per eye. Full is usually 50 +. So you concentrate more on 2/3 of eye at end.

You actually count the lashes? Someone actually did that? Man that's a total loss of my time...
But I'll look into it and give it a go. See, you never stop learning [emoji6]

You actually count the lashes? Someone actually did that? Man that's a total loss of my time...
But I'll look into it and give it a go. See, you never stop learning [emoji6]
Roughly yes haha. Yeah just depends what look they want I guess. And especially as my friend who I did had lots and long lashes. Very. So looked very nice with half.
Do you do the express lashes? Only today I discovered people actually do them using same glue but not separating lash?? Huh? And they only last 2 weeks and must be removed. Sounds too good to be true lol

I used to offer half sets. So I'd lash every other lash instead of every lash. Most people have 90-120 lashes per eye so I'd do 50-60 lashes per eye for a half set.
Different eyes need different styling and eye styling should have been taught on your course. Also just because lashes are long it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to do longer lashes. I've done say 8mm extensions on someone's inners that are naturally 10mm. Depends on the look you want to achieve. I do mostly start off with a 7 or 8mm in the inners or sometimes even a 6mm.
You do need to assess their eyes though and how they sit and are they close together, far apart, hooded lids etc
A squirrel is usually a safe bet for most people but you could do dolly, cat etc. A cat could look great on one client but be completely the wrong style for someone else. x

Yeah I do.
I stumbled across them in this forum and had to research about them. Unfortunately here the training I can get is not very specified, at least regarding lashes. My teacher didn't even know what they were and when I told her she said it sounded very easy. Lol! I tried them a couple of times and they are super easy and fast, but you don't get the same fab results as with individuals ofc.
You basically attach the lashes to the lash line, forget the secondary line( no idea how to call them, the ones closer to the eye I mean), no separation, no need to check if you've stuck 2-3 naturals together. It's kinda like when you are first starting out and you suck at separating anyway, so it's pretty much express.
I'd suggest however getting comfortable with individuals first before you try the express. Or you might ruin your skills trying to save time and go faster. So hone your individuals first and you'll know it when it's time to go further.

I used to offer half sets. So I'd lash every other lash instead of every lash. Most people have 90-120 lashes per eye so I'd do 50-60 lashes per eye for a half set.
Different eyes need different styling and eye styling should have been taught on your course. Also just because lashes are long it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to do longer lashes. I've done say 8mm extensions on someone's inners that are naturally 10mm. Depends on the look you want to achieve. I do mostly start off with a 7 or 8mm in the inners or sometimes even a 6mm.
You do need to assess their eyes though and how they sit and are they close together, far apart, hooded lids etc
A squirrel is usually a safe bet for most people but you could do dolly, cat etc. A cat could look great on one client but be completely the wrong style for someone else. x
Ah ok thanks, yes I've been researching about different eye shapes and looks ( cat squirrel ect)
And if they wanted more dramatic would you use different curl or more lashes? Not doing them Russian ones yet just classic. So much to learn!! Wouldn't think so just doing lashes but sure il get there :) x

Yeah I do.
I stumbled across them in this forum and had to research about them. Unfortunately here the training I can get is not very specified, at least regarding lashes. My teacher didn't even know what they were and when I told her she said it sounded very easy. Lol! I tried them a couple of times and they are super easy and fast, but you don't get the same fab results as with individuals ofc.
You basically attach the lashes to the lash line, forget the secondary line( no idea how to call them, the ones closer to the eye I mean), no separation, no need to check if you've stuck 2-3 naturals together. It's kinda like when you are first starting out and you suck at separating anyway, so it's pretty much express.
I'd suggest however getting comfortable with individuals first before you try the express. Or you might ruin your skills trying to save time and go faster. So hone your individuals first and you'll know it when it's time to go further.
Yeah separating the lash is the hardest. Not hard but very fiddly especially when the lashes go in all sort of direction then it's a struggle but I defiantly will get the classics to perfection before I think about express. Just a cheat really then isn't it. But don't last long so there just kinda similar to party lashes I guess. X

6mm really? I've never even found that size let alone use it!
I mostly use 8s on the inners and that's the smallest I can find. What brand lashes do you use?

6mm really? I've never even found that size let alone use it!
I mostly use 8s on the inners and that's the smallest I can find. What brand lashes do you use?
Yes I have from 4mm! Those ones I got from London Lash Pro :)

Latest posts

Back