Late clients/no shows/children in beauty room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloverhill

Reaction score
I would like all of the above to disappear!!!

The past few weeks I've had so many cancellations and no shows because they 'forgot'! Regular clients I might add!! The same few clients all the time!
Late clients 20/30mins late!!!! Again regular clients!!!! Knock on the door sheepishly and when I answer 'do you still have time to do my nails' eh what!!! Your half an hour late & you either live 10mins up the road or 10 seconds, yes seconds.... round the corner!!!! Plus you have a child on your hip who is about to demolish my room, yet again!!! And you'll walk out & say 'is it ok if I leave that, I'm in a rush' [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] yes... leave the mess... I'll clean it up & throw all of the cotton pads & spatulas in the bin as they can't be frickin used on a client now that they're contaminated!!!' (I'm a bit dramatic!) but my god have SOME decency & respect for me, my time & my beauty room. I cannot cope!!!! The last 2 weeks have nearly broken me!!!! I keep going from angry to the verge of tears every time I think about it!!!! [emoji24][emoji35]

Would anyone have any advice or wording to help me get rid of this carry on!!! I need to post it to my business page as it just has to stop!!! I hate negativity on my page but this just needs to be addressed asap before I blow up!!!!

HELP

Maybe you could add something to your terms and conditions and post to your business page as an update to your terms so it doesn't come across as negative.

Implement a system where if they no show once, you'll require half their treatment cost upfront before you book them in again. No show a second time and it's 75% of the cost, a third time and it's 100% of the treatment cost before booking them in. Any more no shows after that I wouldn't book them in again. I'd view 15 mins past their appointment time as late and they should be made aware in the terms that you may not be able to fully complete their treatment, and 30 mins after their appointment time as a no show.

I'd also request a deposit, maybe 10% of their treatment cost when they book in as that might mean you don't have to get to the above stages.

As for the children issue, I'd state for health and safety reasons persons under the age of 16 are not permitted in the salon.

I'm not currently a business owner so hopefully some other geeks that are can advise terms they currently use with good results, hope that helps

Maybe you could add something to your terms and conditions and post to your business page as an update to your terms so it doesn't come across as negative.

Implement a system where if they no show once, you'll require half their treatment cost upfront before you book them in again. No show a second time and it's 75% of the cost, a third time and it's 100% of the treatment cost before booking them in. Any more no shows after that I wouldn't book them in again. I'd view 15 mins past their appointment time as late and they should be made aware in the terms that you may not be able to fully complete their treatment, and 30 mins after their appointment time as a no show.

I'd also request a deposit, maybe 10% of their treatment cost when they book in as that might mean you don't have to get to the above stages.

As for the children issue, I'd state for health and safety reasons persons under the age of 16 are not permitted in the salon.

I'm not currently a business owner so hopefully some other geeks that are can advise terms they currently use with good results, hope that helps

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply & your detailed response. I'll consider these when writing out my post. I think I'm going to say for insurance reasons children under 16 are not allowed on the premises unless having a treatment. When I really want to say, due to incidents in the beauty room I can no longer have children under 16 on the premises. [emoji15]

Definitely inform your clients that from x date onwards, no children can be accommodated in your salon as your insurer has added new restrictions to your cover. They can't really argue with that.

If they trott out the usual, I can't get a sitter, I was let down by my childminder, they won't be a nuisance... etc. Just explain that your insurer has made it clear that there can be no exceptions to this rule and you'll cancel the appt. for today and as it's the first time, as a gesture of goodwill, you won't charge them a cancellation fee on this occasion. Then send them packing.

Definitely state a cancellation fee policy. It's up to you if you choose not to implement it but most clients only need to be threatened with being charged once and they'll mend their ways, although there are always annoying exceptions. When you get busier, those are the clients who you won't be able to fit into a rearranged appt. because sorry, but you're fully booked for 3 months. :)
Do you send reminder texts for their appointments 24 hrs in advance? That can help reduce the number of no-shows. Clients are used to being charged cancellation fees by other businesses so don't let them treat you any differently just because you work from home.

Late arrivals? Turn them away or only offer a reduced service. They don't need to know that you don't have another client arriving in 20mins but you can state that you have other business to attend to which can't be delayed.

Do you have a website with terms & faq's and a section about no shows / late shows, bringing friends, children etc? Do you email / text 48-24 hours before their appointment as a reminder. do you give them appointment cards
You need to grow a pair as it were (because you are allowing this behaviour by letting them get away with it) if a client brings a child / friend, turn them away with no sorry, insurance, client confidentiality, my room is to small, children and harsh strong chemicals etc, No! I'm sorry to have to say this but if you could please re book when you can arrange child care. your friend can wait in their/your car.
Turning up late over 15 max, no sorry I can't, I have the next client in even if you don't ! you have to show and demonstrate to them that you are a businesses not a servant sitting around waiting for their next whim to be fulfilled and they need to see and recognise this. OK there are always exceptions to the rule such as car really did break down I had a crash or bump.
If a client of mine did this more than 3 times no shows or late shows I would politely but firmly tell them you have missed or have been late over 10/15 mins (I either reduce their treatment or decline to provide service) on 3 consecutive appointments, and I tell them "I really don't want say this to you but if you repeat this, I will not book you in again and you will have to find somewhere else"!
Ok you may loose a client or clients but you will regain some sanity and more importantly self confidence and in my mind that is better than troublesome money.

Last edited:
There are some really good helpful bits of advice given above, especially from AcidPerm.

I have a cancellation policy which is on both my salon FB page and my website. I have a sliding scale of cancellation fees, depending on how close to the appointment they are cancelling. I've had the policy printed on a flyer too so I insert this into every salon price list I give out.

The best thing about having a policy in place is that it gives you a valid tool for getting rid of clients who mess you about.
If I have a client who is a pain with appointments, cancelling long sessions at no notice etc, you can then contact them (email, FB, phone as appropriate) and tell them the fee that is due. Your policy should state that cancellation fees must be paid before any further appointments can be made.
This way the client rarely pays up and therefore you have got rid of them. They will probably block you on facebook as they think you might chase them for the money! Never worth chasing any of these fees, but it does get rid of the troublesome few. Document the event and your actions on their record card just in case they show up a few years down the line!

Last edited:
I used to always have the problem with people showing up late or cancelling. I decided to take the big step (and expense) to update my website so that deposits were taken on all online bookings ...funnily enough, I've hardly had any cancellations since! My website also sends out an email reminder 24 hours before which is handy.

As soon as a client is 5-10 minutes late, I text them and ask if they're still coming as unfortunately I'm unable to extend their appointment time. By doing this, I don't have to have the awkward chat when they arrive. In most cases they reply with "I'm on my way". I then just do what I can in the time that they have left.
I once had a regular client who was always always always late but I used to always run over and do her full treatment. Then one day she turned up 30 minutes late for a 35 minute appointment! When she arrived, I told her I couldn't do the treatment and that she'd have to go home as I was expecting my next client, she was so shocked and was never ever late again.

Definitely inform your clients that from x date onwards, no children can be accommodated in your salon as your insurer has added new restrictions to your cover. They can't really argue with that.

If they trott out the usual, I can't get a sitter, I was let down by my childminder, they won't be a nuisance... etc. Just explain that your insurer has made it clear that there can be no exceptions to this rule and you'll cancel the appt. for today and as it's the first time, as a gesture of goodwill, you won't charge them a cancellation fee on this occasion. Then send them packing.

Definitely state a cancellation fee policy. It's up to you if you choose not to implement it but most clients only need to be threatened with being charged once and they'll mend their ways, although there are always annoying exceptions. When you get busier, those are the clients who you won't be able to fit into a rearranged appt. because sorry, but you're fully booked for 3 months. :)
Do you send reminder texts for their appointments 24 hrs in advance? That can help reduce the number of no-shows. Clients are used to being charged cancellation fees by other businesses so don't let them treat you any differently just because you work from home.

Late arrivals? Turn them away or only offer a reduced service. They don't need to know that you don't have another client arriving in 20mins but you can state that you have other business to attend to which can't be delayed.
Oh I LOVE this!! Thank you so much!! My insurance has added new restrictions... love it. This will 100% be used!! Thank you. I'll introduce a cancellation fee as I don't have one in place & send out reminder messages the day before too. And late arrivals will be offered a polish instead of shellac from now on!!

Thank you [emoji4] x

Do you have a website with terms & faq's and a section about no shows / late shows, bringing friends, children etc? Do you email / text 48-24 hours before their appointment as a reminder. do you give them appointment cards
You need to grow a pair as it were (because you are allowing this behaviour by letting them get away with it) if a client brings a child / friend, turn them away with no sorry, insurance, client confidentiality, my room is to small, children and harsh strong chemicals etc, No! I'm sorry to have to say this but if you could please re book when you can arrange child care. your friend can wait in their/your car.
Turning up late over 15 max, no sorry I can't, I have the next client in even if you don't ! you have to show and demonstrate to them that you are a businesses not a servant sitting around waiting for their next whim to be fulfilled and they need to see and recognise this. OK there are always exceptions to the rule such as car really did break down I had a crash or bump.
If a client of mine did this more than 3 times no shows or late shows I would politely but firmly tell them you have missed or have been late over 10/15 mins (I either reduce their treatment or decline to provide service) on 3 consecutive appointments, and I tell them "I really don't want say this to you but if you repeat this, I will not book you in again and you will have to find somewhere else"!
Ok you may loose a client or clients but you will regain some sanity and more importantly self confidence and in my mind that is better than troublesome money.

Hahaha I really do need to grow a set!! Your right there. And I agree with your reply 100%. I will regain my sanity once I sort this carry on out.

Thank you [emoji4][emoji108]

There are some really good helpful bits of advice given above, especially from AcidPerm.

I have a cancellation policy which is on both my salon FB page and my website. I have a sliding scale of cancellation fees, depending on how close to the appointment they are cancelling. I've had the policy printed on a flyer too so I insert this into every salon price list I give out.

The best thing about having a policy in place is that it gives you a valid tool for getting rid of clients who mess you about.
If I have a client who is a pain with appointments, cancelling long sessions at no notice etc, you can then contact them (email, FB, phone as appropriate) and tell them the fee that is due. Your policy should state that cancellation fees must be paid before any further appointments can be made.
This way the client rarely pays up and therefore you have got rid of them. They will probably block you on facebook as they think you might chase them for the money! Never worth chasing any of these fees, but it does get rid of the troublesome few. Document the event and your actions on their record card just in case they show up a few years down the line!

Thank you [emoji4]

I used to always have the problem with people showing up late or cancelling. I decided to take the big step (and expense) to update my website so that deposits were taken on all online bookings ...funnily enough, I've hardly had any cancellations since! My website also sends out an email reminder 24 hours before which is handy.

As soon as a client is 5-10 minutes late, I text them and ask if they're still coming as unfortunately I'm unable to extend their appointment time. By doing this, I don't have to have the awkward chat when they arrive. In most cases they reply with "I'm on my way". I then just do what I can in the time that they have left.
I once had a regular client who was always always always late but I used to always run over and do her full treatment. Then one day she turned up 30 minutes late for a 35 minute appointment! When she arrived, I told her I couldn't do the treatment and that she'd have to go home as I was expecting my next client, she was so shocked and was never ever late again.

Yes I think I need to give some of them a shock too! Thank you [emoji4]

Thank you everyone for all of the replies. I'm feeling very empowered now & think I have enough pointers to go on for my post. Phew!

I did need to grow set too haha

I shall be back with some stories soon, no doubt. Keep your eyes peeled!

Thank you again [emoji4]x

Latest posts

Back