Late nights? What are your hours of work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started doing mobile hair I offered all hours just to build up my clients, but now I have certain times. The latest I will book a colour in the evening is 6 and on Saturdays I finish at 5. I work 6 days a week atm but will go down to a few days when I have kids x

Reading some of the hours you guys work makes me wince! Working till 10:30 at night? Sorry but I need sleep lol! I have two children and feel very lucky that being self employed means I can finish at 3 and fetch them from school/ nursery. I do one night a week until 8 and finish at 3 on a Saturday. I will do one extra evening a week over the summer and at Christmas to squeeze in the extra work but for me it's all about balance. It's great to be busy and the hours I do work are generally crammed but my family come first always :)

I'm mobile, with two children 4yrs & 5yrs & hubby.
Monday 9am-3pm then 430pm till 8pm
Tuesday off
Wednesday 9-3 them 430-8pm
Thurs 9-6pm
Fri 9-3 then 430-8pm
I would like to start cutting down the 430pm start and be at home with kids after school & nursery ( I have to be tough and say no !

As with phone calls I never answer a call on my day off I let it go to answer phone. I only have one phone for both personal & business ps Bug mistake!!

And Saturday I work 9am till 3/4pm

Hi ... i do one late night one week and two the next... i find everyone initially needs the late night but when you tell them its fully booked all of a sudden they can do other days too lol, so now i don't stress as have got used to demanding clients...

my hours are:
wed (every fortnight) 7-10pm (earlier if hubby home from work earlier) .. always have 1-2 clients on stand by incase he is
thurs 10am - 9pm
fri 10am - 5pm
sat 9am - 4pm

I have a 3yo and a 1yo and everything is organised round them... my babysitters come to me ... i work 2 mins ( in car) from my home ( i rent room in hairdressers in local village). I am fully booked back to back in work at the moment, though if it wasn't for my husband i wouldn't be able to do this, he knows what to do without asking and when i come home theyre all still alive, which helps lol... i think if you are with your kids during the day a few days a week then its not so bad if youre not there when theyre tucked up in bed sleeping... though its hard on you, always nice to tuck them in at night... listen to me waffling lol.. but you do what you have to... HTH xxx

sundays closed
monday---wed 10:00am-----7:00pm
thur--friday 10:00am---10:30pm
sat 10:00am---6:00pm

Libby this is awful, how do you cope? you must be shattered... hugs for you xx

My working hours are salon based
Sunday & Monday closed
Tuesday 11-9
Wednesday 9-9
Thursday 11-9
Friday 9-6
Saturday 8.30-3.30
I find my late nights get booked 6 weeks in advance as people come after working in city, plus I am the only salon that opens that late in my area.

Plus I also work Friday and Saturday (7-12.30am) night in a pub which I started doing before I opened my own salon.

Kirsty

I think in this industry and at this time of the year you have to take the work whilst its there.

I have had 2 days off in the last 3 months and the last 4 weeks I have worked from 9am to 10pm every night of the week except Sundays.

Obviously I'm shattered but the money is good and I know come sept it will slope off.

That's self employment for you.

I work full time mon-fri, from 9-5pm.

Home based salon:
Mon-thurs : 6-10pm
Fri : 6-9pm
Sat : 10-3pm
Sun 11-3pm

For the last two weeks I've had to turn away 3 customers, and I hate doing that as I'm still building my business, I opened in Dec 2012.

I feel it was down to me having a Pamper evening on the Friday, and I had to get my nails done, set up night before.

I want to reduce my day job hours to 9-3pm. Then I can get home sort out dinner, and start my nails a bit earlier around 5pm, so people who leave work can come straight.

I don't have little children, so that not a problem at all, but right now it's just rushing from work, leaving hubby to sort out dinner, then me going straight into doing nails.

By the time I finish in the evening I'm shattered, I don't have time to do my ordering, paperwork, updating my websites etc. I just feel something's gotta give, doing my full time work & running the salon is very hard work.

Think I need two phones!
Somebodies rang three times today, youd think theyd realise 'oh maybe its because its a sunday' I eventually let them know I'd be back in touch Monday cos I felt bad!
the other week (on a sunday) one client rang twice, then because I hadnt answered her friend rang and text saying 'so and so is trying to get in touch'
I was in the cinema lol.
was thinking of making a customised voicemail but need to find out how to do it on my iphone.
I work two late nights 9 till 8, mon and fri 9 till 5, sat 9 till 4 and I try and do half day weds but will book people in if they're desperate..
Im getting stricter though. And booking dinners in cos its such a long day tues and thurs with no break for food! I cant smile come 8pm lol.
Don't know how some of you work till 10.30/11pm i find it hard to unwind as it is! X

I work full time mon-fri, from 9-5pm.

Home based salon:
Mon-thurs : 6-10pm
Fri : 6-9pm
Sat : 10-3pm
Sun 11-3pm

For the last two weeks I've had to turn away 3 customers, and I hate doing that as I'm still building my business, I opened in Dec 2012.

I feel it was down to me having a Pamper evening on the Friday, and I had to get my nails done, set up night before.

I want to reduce my day job hours to 9-3pm. Then I can get home sort out dinner, and start my nails a bit earlier around 5pm, so people who leave work can come straight.

I don't have little children, so that not a problem at all, but right now it's just rushing from work, leaving hubby to sort out dinner, then me going straight into doing nails.

By the time I finish in the evening I'm shattered, I don't have time to do my ordering, paperwork, updating my websites etc. I just feel something's gotta give, doing my full time work & running the salon is very hard work.

6AM!? :-0 ! Till 10PM! Thats a 16 hour day!! How!? Lol

I'm a geek with little ones (1.5 and 3.5)

I work mon-fri usually from 6.30pm until whenever I'm needed, sometimes it's 9pm, quite often its well after 10pm. (Being a mummy starts any time from 6.30am so it is tiring, but I love my job and my clients)

I also offer limited daytime appointments, making them aware I'm a stay at home mum and I allow an extra half hour for daytime ones. So they are just as and when, but I do try and limit them to a couple a day (one morning one afternoon) as a mum is my main job and its unfair or my kiddies. Once they are at school I will go full time.

I do not work weekends, those are the only 2 days we get as a family and I cherish them. If I have a client going on holiday or a wedding etc then I make an exception for the weekend but its as early or as late as possible so I still have time with my hubby and our boys. Xxx

I am currently mobile and have a nail room at home my hours are:
Mon 6pm till 9pm
Tues closed
Weds 6pm till 9pm
Thurs 6pm till 9:30pm
Fri 6pm till 9:30pm
Sat 10:30am till 6/7pm
Sun closed.

I work from home on a Saturday as I find I can fit more clients in than if I am mobile. I have just started back up after having my son in Nov. but hopefully will be working from a salon by the end of July. The hours will then again change xx

Im mobile, with kids aged 5-12, and a hubby that works shifts / often works away. My usual hours are 9-3 mon-fri, and every saturday at my mothers foot clinic. I offer late night appointments too (latest 9pm) but this depends on hubbys work. Last week he was away so had to do all my late appointments on the Friday once he was home, this week he's home and on days so I have late appointments booked in most nights! I was worried when i started that the limitations would be a problem, but so far we manage to work it really well, and childcare costs only come into play during school hols, but i try to cram all my appointments into 2-3 long days! As I'm starting to get busier its actually getting easier to do this! I realise that I could never work for someone else though due to these limitations, but thats fine by me! :D

I don't have set hours. I work around my husband. Lots of late evenings & weekends but then off dying the week. My customers never ask what are my hours but when I can see tem.

I work full time 8.30am - 6pm mon - thurs & Saturday

Home salon
6.30pm - 8pm mon - fri
6.30pm - 10pm Thursday
9.30am - 10pm Friday

Busy beexx

This is what I've been thinking a lot about, I'm currently starting up from home but have a 9 month old and I am a single parent. Have done clients when sons in bed but he doesn't go down at a set time - one night could be 7 another night could be 8 (if anyone has any tips on how to get him down at the sometime every night please let me know lol) if clients want during the day I try and get him minded (which I feel guilty about) would really like to have set hours but I suppose beggars can't be choosers lol x

Latest posts

Back