Level 2 - how competent would I be after?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happywomble

Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking the Level 2 course but was wondering how competent would I be at cutting and colouring afterwards. What can I expect to learn with regards to cuts/colour/upstyles.

Thanks a mill.

Level 2 is very basic u need to do level 3 also.

I agree level 2 is basic, but it also depends on how willing u are to learn and how much work you put in and practice what u have been taught, also every college is dif.

I did my level 2 and completed it 5 months early I was way ahead of everyone on the course and I even started the theory of my level 3 before others had even finished the lvl2. I was a very competent student and loved (still do) to read all I can. My tutor at college even surgested i work towards my teaching degree while I was still doing my lvl2 and i also won awards while doing lvl 2.

So my point is that you get out what you put in :)

Hi Level 2 in what?
When i was at college it was NVQ, but my cousins just finished her level 2 VRQ,and shes just got her cert,and it says level 2 diploma in ladies hairdressing, but the amount she had to do to gain this was hardly anything!
ive been taking her out with me, to gain her some experience,and she doesnt even know a basic uniform layer? or her cutting angles? yet she has this cert to say shes a level 2 hairdresser?

I think its all changed alot since I was at college,we did a level 2 nvq,which we were fully competant at colouring, cutting, perming etc, and i remember it being tough to get assessed etc,then we went on to do a level 3, which i thought was really hard back then.
It just seems to be a quick year at college now,and youre done?

apparently theyre replacing the nvq with this vrq??

Kate x

I did a VRQ level 1, and now trying to get onto a nvq 2. VRQ means that you can do your assessments on a block or classmate i think, whereas nvq you always have to have a client. I think it really all depends on the competency of the college to be honest. I decided to try and change college because I saw level 2 students at the end of the year who were still very nervous about doing cutting or colour and thats not good enough really is it. When I had to tell a level 2 that she had to prepig a blonde before going brown, it kindof set the standard. IT really does depend on the work and effort you put in also how quick you learn things. If you are willing to try new things and experiment those kind of people often get further.

My experience is that level 2 is extremely basic now. There are exceptional stars who progress fast DESPITE the teaching, but on the whole 95% fail a basic trade test.

My basic trade test is a classic cut and highlights. I check that the sides are the same length, that the cut is even, and that the result is what the stylist set out to do.
With the highlights, they must be close to the root, neat, even, properly and correctly processed, and outcome must be what was discussed at consultation.

As I said, 95% fail.

Tks for all the replies. I'm still unsure what to do. I work part time in a salon and they said the City and Guilds was the best qualification. Still need to think:sad:

Latest posts

Back