Local Salon - damaging clients natural nails - what can i do ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karren

Reaction score
hi

Im after a little advice

I have just seen a 3rd person in as many days, who has been and had a set of nail,well i'd hardly call then enhancements, applied at a local salon.

Besides the fact that these enhancements are just awful looking, ALL these ladies have had their natural nails wrecked - looks like over buffing when applying and blending tips, another lady tonight has a horizontal line / hole through to her nail bed (bleeding) - the rest of the nail is extremely thin - i think she had caught this.

The reason for this thread is to ask is there anything i can do. I will look after these ladies and already they trust in what im saying and doing to them / their nails. But this particular nail technician cannot and should not be allowed to continue working on people until she has more training.

I believe she is renting a desk in this particular salon. How can i help her? should i go see her, i dont know her and not sure if she'd take it the wrong way. Im not sure i want to contact the salon owner because if the girl was to leave there she'll probably go somewhere else so not really fixing the problem.

Im not sure what products or who she trained with either

What if anything can i / should i do ??

kx

Good grief.........she had actually filed through the nail plate?
I really understand your concerns, I mean that is really awful.........

I always think when someone goes and gets a bad haircut, they moan about it and don't go back to that hairdresser but go somewhere else......

but with nail enhancements 1 bad set can put a client off for life and she may never get her nails done again....and worse will bad mouth ALL nail technicians.

However I really don't see what you can do, apart from pick up the pieces and her damaged clients...........you are the nail tech they really need, fully trained enthusiastic and with the knowledge to always preserve the integrity of the natural nail plate...........

Approaching this other nail tech, even with your good intentions may antagonize her and end up causing problems for you........

Sadly she will carry on doing these atrocious treatments, but will lose custom to better techs or put clients off for life, but she will be out of business before long............

Maybe other geeks will advise you differently, I am not one for confrontations, and I can only see it ending in hassle for you if you do confront her even in the nicest most constructive way.........

Maybe you can find out through other means who she trained with....or even if she has trained and get your clients with the damaged nails to complain direct to the training school, that would make them do something........although not all students carry out enhancements the way they were trained, and try out some short cuts.....like blending with a heavy grit abrasive and filing like the clappers to save time!!

I mean really.....through her actual nail plate..............I don't believe it!!!!

Yeah you know I can't stop thinking about this...........it is really up to these poor damaged clients (who now know via you what a good technician does) to approach this girl and complain............maybe if they all go back and complain it would make her realise she needs to do further training, or even for her landlord to realise that she is getting the premises a bad reputation............I still don't think it is for you to approach her as that could be misconstrued.......

I just think maybe i could / should help her - even if its just with the basics ??????

kx

hi karren
this really is a difficult one.
isabel's reply is a sound one, they do say that people wrongly shoot the messenger.
however, there may be one option.
how about writing her a letter, telling her of what you have seen with regards her clients.
explain that you didnt want to go to her salon owner to get her into trouble, you are genuinely wanting to advise her.
explain that if someone else sees her standard of work, they could complain to the authorities or worse still, sue her.
promise her that you're not being condescending, and that she should consider going back to her training school and extend her training.
mayb, give her this website and explain that she will get help and support here?

now, mayb i'm being naive?, mayb u should speak to the clients that went to her previously to gauge how they feel she would react?
mayb she isnt the kind of person that will appreciate your suggestions.
it is worth thinking though, how many of the geeks on here could've possibly been that inexperienced nail tech?

where would some of those geeks been now but for this site?

liza x

Thanks guys

fab advice - i just cant leave this alone regardless of the outcome - i HAVE to do something - im going to ring tomorrow to find out (without them knowing who i am) what products etc they / she uses, then yeh either write a letter or pop in a see her, i know i can help her, as i say even if its just with the basics and of course introduce her to this site which is invaluable to any nail technician

kx

Latest posts

Back