Makeup trials-is it just me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly girl

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've been doing makeup as well as other treatments for over 10 years now and I'm happy with the makeup range I use. A lot of my clients are happy with the makeup I provide and with weddings, proms etc I encourage the client to book a trial to experiment with ideas first. I always book extra time for a trial and make sure that the client doesn't leave until they are happy. On a number of occasions the client has then left and said the makeup wasn't how they wanted it after all. Does this happen at a lot of other salons too or is it just me? I understand that the correct look (especially for brides) is important but I can't help but feel inadequate when they call up to change their mind. Sorry about the long post, I just hate lacking in confidence in any aspect of my job :(

Hi guys. I've been doing makeup as well as other treatments for over 10 years now and I'm happy with the makeup range I use. A lot of my clients are happy with the makeup I provide and with weddings, proms etc I encourage the client to book a trial to experiment with ideas first. I always book extra time for a trial and make sure that the client doesn't leave until they are happy. On a number of occasions the client has then left and said the makeup wasn't how they wanted it after all. Does this happen at a lot of other salons too or is it just me? I understand that the correct look (especially for brides) is important but I can't help but feel inadequate when they call up to change their mind. Sorry about the long post, I just hate lacking in confidence in any aspect of my job :(
Hi there
Yes I've had that a couple of times in the past. I now almost obsess over saying to them before they leave "are you happy. Are you sure"! Don't take it to heart me dear x

Unfortunately, it's normal!
It drives me absolutely mad but some people wait to see what friends & family think. It sometimes makes me feel like I haven't done a good enough job but I've accepted now that it's just part of the job. Don't stress about it too much!

I had a girl a few weeks ago who said she didn't mind what make up I did (after I interrogated her for 20 minutes, asking what she did & didn't want) to then be told at the end that it wasn't what she wanted! I could have screamed! But after 10 minutes of deep breaths and 2 vodkas, I felt ok. I just know now that I need to be really pushy in getting an answer!

I wouldn't get yourself down about it some people are just hard to please especially when they have no idea how they want to look. I've found always try and ask them to bring photos of what kind of look they want to go for so atleast you know you've only done what they have asked for! :)

I also find myself 'nagging' to check if they are happy these days (especially proms!). I don't really want to spend a fortune refreshing my makeup skills when i feel pretty competent but I'm such a perfectionist and I hate getting it wrong. As you say, my biggest problem is taking it to heart. I sometimes wonder if I should remove makeup from my price list all together lol. Thank you for your reply x

Sent from my SM-T230 using SalonGeek mobile app

I also find myself 'nagging' to check if they are happy these days (especially proms!). I don't really want to spend a fortune refreshing my makeup skills when i feel pretty competent but I'm such a perfectionist and I hate getting it wrong. I sometimes wonder if I should remove makeup from my price list all together lol. Thank you for your reply x

Aw don't say that! You have been doing it for a long time so you are obviously good at it. Young clients these days do like dramatic eyes brows and lips and strong contour and highlighting seems to be the thing. If you really feel you aren't up to scratch why don't you go to a one day or two day masterclass? A lot of clients like mac/nars/Bobbi brown lately. I live in Manchester and there's just so many places training and releasing makeup artists every month it gets competitive for me!

I wouldn't get yourself down about it some people are just hard to please especially when they have no idea how they want to look. I've found always try and ask them to bring photos of what kind of look they want to go for so atleast you know you've only done what they have asked for! :)

That's the good thing about mobile phones, a lot bring pictures. unfortunately many want to look like the person in the picture too! The bride I had in today said she usually wears a lot of makeup daily and wanted a full look, was happy with it in different lighting at the salon then called later to say it was too "full on". You can't win sometimes, may invest in a lie detector lol x

Make-Up is such a personal thing. Today's client sees a 'look' they like without considering their own face shape, complexion hair colour etc. I've had clients in the past produce a picture from a magazine and say "I want this"....uhmm problem is she is a 16 yr old girl in the picture (possibly younger) and your almost 60...well that's the honest reply to such a request, but OBVIOUSLY I refrain and do my best to wipe away the years! Today's customer often has unrealistic expectation.
Many young clients also learn an awful lot from YouTube and they do their make up beautifully using make up that once was kept a secret for us pros!
I have a client who offers make up and teaches and she has since given up offering a service for brides as she couldn't bear the volume of non returns and requests for refunds. I think training is so important and obviously practice, practice, practice. But I think the demands of today's customer is a difficult one to meet!
Ps have you ever watched a guy on you tube called Goss Make up artist, as he has some great tricks?
Don't loose faith, none of us are born knowing how to do things, we have to learn and continue learning. If you have passion your succeed. Good luck

Unfortunately, it's normal!
It drives me absolutely mad but some people wait to see what friends & family think. It sometimes makes me feel like I haven't done a good enough job but I've accepted now that it's just part of the job. Don't stress about it too much!

I had a girl a few weeks ago who said she didn't mind what make up I did (after I interrogated her for 20 minutes, asking what she did & didn't want) to then be told at the end that it wasn't what she wanted! I could have screamed! But after 10 minutes of deep breaths and 2 vodkas, I felt ok. I just know now that I need to be really pushy in getting an answer!

It's so frustrating isn't it! I guess I just wanted to know I wasn't alone in this. It does knock your confidence in your work. Glad other people get awkward clients too lol ;) x

Make-Up is such a personal thing. Today's client sees a 'look' they like without considering their own face shape, complexion hair colour etc. I've had clients in the past produce a picture from a magazine and say "I want this"....uhmm problem is she is a 16 yr old girl in the picture (possibly younger) and your almost 60...well that's the honest reply to such a request, but OBVIOUSLY I refrain and do my best to wipe away the years! Today's customer often has unrealistic expectation.
Many young clients also learn an awful lot from YouTube and they do their make up beautifully using make up that once was kept a secret for us pros!
I have a client who offers make up and teaches and she has since given up offering a service for brides as she couldn't bear the volume of non returns and requests for refunds. I think training is so important and obviously practice, practice, practice. But I think the demands of today's customer is a difficult one to meet!
Ps have you ever watched a guy on you tube called Goss Make up artist, as he has some great tricks?
Don't loose faith, none of us are born knowing how to do things, we have to learn and continue learning. If you have passion your succeed. Good luck

I think it definitely has a lot more to do with expectations changing. I do sometimes wish we could say exactly what we are thinking when seeing a clients unrealistic expectations lol. I'll definitely get on YouTube and look for Goss Makeup artist. Thanks for the advice. I think a lot of my problem is I store the good comments in my head and the rare number of Complaints close to my heart. I suppose it's the occupational hazard of being passionate about the industry that we work in.
Im very grateful for everyone's comments. It's lovely to speak to like minded people, especially when working alone :) x

I think it definitely has a lot more to do with expectations changing. I do sometimes wish we could say exactly what we are thinking when seeing a clients unrealistic expectations lol. I'll definitely get on YouTube and look for Goss Makeup artist. Thanks for the advice. I think a lot of my problem is I store the good comments in my head and the rare number of Complaints close to my heart. I suppose it's the occupational hazard of being passionate about the industry that we work in.
Im very grateful for everyone's comments. It's lovely to speak to like minded people, especially when working alone :) x

Shows you care and have pride in what you do, wish more out there were like it! I dislike doing make up for the reason I stated earlier and after 26yrs of being a Therapist (and I still LOVE my job) I had a prom make up to do only last week and was disappointed with the result (client had bad skin) and I thought about it all that evening...should I have used this or that blaa, blaa blaa. She a few days later called at the door with a lovely bouquet of flowers to say thank you and what a wonderful evening she had had...still wish I'd used a different base though!

Know this is an old post but I'm sort of having the same problem. Prom makeup is killing my confidence! I did a trial a few weeks ago and she just wasn't happy with much that I did! I said to her mum if she changes her mind and doesnt want me to do the makeup I understand.....then today I get msgs with pictures, the girl had done her makeup just how she wants me to do it for the prom. I just know that anything I do is going to be wrong and I'm dreading it! I don't know why I'm even being recruited in to do it when she seems happier with what she can do herself than what I will do! Sorry for my rant! Lol!

Know this is an old post but I'm sort of having the same problem. Prom makeup is killing my confidence! I did a trial a few weeks ago and she just wasn't happy with much that I did! I said to her mum if she changes her mind and doesnt want me to do the makeup I understand.....then today I get msgs with pictures, the girl had done her makeup just how she wants me to do it for the prom. I just know that anything I do is going to be wrong and I'm dreading it! I don't know why I'm even being recruited in to do it when she seems happier with what she can do herself than what I will do! Sorry for my rant! Lol!

From my experience, you have to be super pushy with getting a straight answer out of people. Especially prom girls!
You also need to make them aware that they need to have realistic expectations. So many prom girls want airbrushed, contoured perfection be they fail to realise that celeb photos are photoshopped. It drives me mad when they turn up with a flawless photo of a Kardashian and expect to look the exact same.

The last thing you want to do is turn her away and risk her slating you to everyone for it. She wants an MUA for the experience of it all and to feel extra special. She wouldn't get that if she did it herself.
I know it's frustrating when you get a client like yours but, if it was me, I'd just copy what she's done, do it all directly in front of a mirror and ask her what she thinks after every step.
It may even be useful to offer another trial, either free of charge or discounted. At least that way, you're avoiding any drama on the actual prom day AND you'll feel better about doing it, instead of dreading it

This sounds like HELL to me....if you have to keep on, and on, and on....and then offer a 'freebie',
to reassure them!
What's in it for you?o_O
A few quid, and a shattered ego! :(

Make up is an art, open to interpretation.
Do the trial, be professional, stick to the time allocated/price quoted.
They like it - great. Happy day's :D
If they don't, well that's what a 'trial' is for...... you're not the MUA for them.
Collect payment, smile sweetly....
and move on.:p
UNREALISTIC EXPECTATION, and WE are feeding the monster!

Yeah that's a good idea! I'm working myself up more for proms than for any wedding! Lol!
I will take my time and do it with her watching so she can check it as we go a bit more than I usually would. Will save time in the long run! Thank you, think I just needed to vent to someone other than my long suffering wife!

The unrealistic expectations are my nightmare! Lol!
I do agree it is def an art and open to interpretation! :)

I gave up on makeup years ago due to unrealistic expectations. Who needs the headache?

I was going to do these ones and give up but a few people that I have spoken to who have been happy with my work have told me not to! So torn on what to do! I love makeup but feel like I could end up disliking it!x

There's also that British trait of wanting to be polite, and being reluctant to say they don't like it to your face - it's like the classic hairdresser's example, when they ask "How's that for you?" and show you the mirror, and you just nod and say "Great, thanks!", blinking back tears, and then go home and rewash it and restyle it... :)

Don't take it personally, make-up is an extremely subjective treatment :)

This is why I always charge more for the trial than the day itself. It's where all the hard work happens.

Latest posts

Back