Mixing Gelish and nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spjelgus

Reaction score
Hi!

I just did a french gelish mani but since im still in training and haven't gotten my Gelish collection up to standard I didn't have any white to use (didn't think of ordering such basics in my first order, got overwhelmed by all the shiny colours!!:rolleyes:). Well i mixed some white Sally Hansen french nailpolish about 50:50 with foundation gel (dont have structure) and used that instead. It worked like a charm!! I also tried mixing in some other types of polish and painting them on tips and they all looked great! Don't know about the wear though...

Here's a picture:

Screen%20Shot%202012-01-20%20at%2012.17.24%20AM.png

Last edited:
Wear and longevity is the most important thing. I could mix acrylics paint into a gel polish but it would not make it perform as the brand promises. I wouldn't dream of it.

There also seems to be allot of shrinkage at the free edge of these nails which could be due to messing about with the system ... I'm not sure what your point is in posting ... You can mix anything with anything but that won't make it work as it should.

I can't imagine this will wear well as how has the regular polish been able to dry???

We will have to wait and see! But Gigi that is not shrinkage, her nails had this really weird curve at the free edge and it made it hard to seal them. I don't get the comment about the reason to post? This has been discussed here before and people have been on and off about the results. Some people don't even want to do this with ManiQ even though it is advertised as possible. This is my test, maybe it will work maybe it wont. If someone else has tried this i would have liked to hear the results, but i havent found that yet.

Mani q gel is designed to be mixed with polish in a 50:50 ratio. I'm not sure if gelish is. I'm too scared to try lol

We will have to wait and see! But Gigi that is not shrinkage, her nails had this really weird curve at the free edge and it made it hard to seal them. I don't get the comment about the reason to post? This has been discussed here before and people have been on and off about the results. Some people don't even want to do this with ManiQ even though it is advertised as possible. This is my test, maybe it will work maybe it wont. If someone else has tried this i would have liked to hear the results, but i havent found that yet.

I can't imagine you will find any other professional who has tried this. Most of us would order French products as a basic. Plus with 84 Gelish colours, why would you need to risk mixing it with polish?

ManiQ clear is a totally different product. I personally tried it and found it was too much faffing about for me. Not sure how many techs are still using it successfully, particularly since they launched the ManiQ colours.

On the shrinkage issue. It shouldn't matter what shape the client's nails are, they need to be properly capped.

I think we've all probably tested something a bit wacky or unorthodox on our own nails, but not many would risk testing it on a client or model.

With the Gelish being mixed would it cure fully?

I mix gelish colours together but I wouldn't risk mixing it with standard polish x

without people trying new things we would never have new ideas, have fun!

without people trying new things we would never have new ideas, have fun!

You are not a nail technician according to your profile!

Trying new things should not include disrupting and messing around with the delicate chemistry of a product!
Chemically, companies know what works.
Safety tests have been performed.
Longevity has been measured over months and years.

If you want to mess about then mess about on yourself, not a client. Even then, it is extremely presumptuous to think that anyone could come up with something that has not already been thought about and looked at carefully already in a well formulated product. :lol:

but presumptuous and patronising to assume that nobody could. I wouldn't personally experiment on a client without their full permission, maybe the client gave permission and was happy that the therapist tried to complete the service in a resourceful manner.
Having 20 years experience is fabulous but often inspiration can come from fresh eyes, I fully believe in encouraging experimentation. Don't be put off by a few people bashing you online, keep playing!!

I think the nails look lovely and it's great fun experimenting, but I agree with the others , it's one thing to experiment on your own nails and i do this all the time (and it's got me in a pickle in the past:o) but the point is it's not a good idea to do this on clients.
I think these sort of posts are most welcome and embraced on DIY forums, but on salongeek it's better to promote tried and tested systems that we know are going to work without putting anyone at risk. PM me if you want a link to a great DIY site where people do this sort of thing all the time with great results.

well if thats what my profile says then I must quickly inform my happy customers...............

well if thats what my profile says then I must quickly inform my happy customers...............
In your profile you list that you do not do nails that you do beauty, tanning, waxing, make up ..

You filled Out your own profile I presume .. Fancy leaving that out?

Wow...did we all get out of the wrong side of bed this morning?

Geeg is making a valid point, and as an innovator in our Industry has experimented and come up with some great products like the Fabric fibleglass system and pink gelbond (which I still miss!). Therefore she is talking from experience, and on a professional teaching site like this why would we promote experimenting on clients?

Anyway, about the profile, it is helpful when new geeks fill it out, as we do use them to see the level of experience they have before we answer, yours most definitely says you are NOT a nail geek.
If this is wrong then the onus is on you to correct your profile, as brilliant and experienced nail tech's that we are on here we are not psychic :rolleyes:
....and yes that was sarcasm..I too got out of bed on the wrong side today!!:lol:

Maybe, I often read this site but never really comment as you can see from my profile. I set up my profile rather quickly one day when I needed to message a fellow therapist.
The op never actually stated that this was a paying client or whether the client was aware of the technique that she used. The op also states that she is still training.
If it helps you to know I have 19 years experience in the industry (purchased one of geegs book many years ago so appreciate the fabulousness!) and simply hoped that op would not be put off having fun and playing with her new products, or from using this site as the awesome learning tool that it is

Maybe, I often read this site but never really comment as you can see from my profile. I set up my profile rather quickly one day when I needed to message a fellow therapist.
The op never actually stated that this was a paying client or whether the client was aware of the technique that she used. The op also states that she is still training.
If it helps you to know I have 19 years experience in the industry (purchased one of geegs book many years ago so appreciate the fabulousness!) and simply hoped that op would not be put off having fun and playing with her new products, or from using this site as the awesome learning tool that it is

You can amend your profile easily by choosing that option in your settings and bringing it up to date. It really helps to know a little about a persons history, experience and the products they use when answering their questions. In one of your recent posts about wanting a treatment room ... You mention you want it for beauty and massage but again there was nothing mentioned about nails .. So I did my homework lol but you Can only work with what people tell you. Welcome to the site.

LOL!! I'll update it:hug:

Why do people mess around with products that are designed to work a certain way... if gelish was supposed to be mixed with normal polish then it would have been designed this way... takes the whole idea out of the concept !!!!!!!!!!!!!! just get the right colours ..

Sarah xx

Aren't we meant to be creative then?

As a hairdresser, I am always inventing new tint combinations/hair styles etc. It is an essential pre-requisite for a good stylist.

Therefore, I can understand where the OP is coming from. She's had a go at doing something a bit different and wanted to let others know about it.

If you're not interested, fine, don't bother reading this type of thread and please don't bother telling the rest of us to stop being creative...it simply won't work. :lol:

I have done this before when I wanted a particular polish colour, worked very well, I didn't notice any differance in wear, I would try and get the correct colour from Gelish, only to make life easier. I know gels are all very complicated formula's and it's not advisable to mess with them but sometimes it works, especially If you are only use it on yourself ! I have just had a quick look for an older post on this subject but can't find it, there were several we'll known techs who had commented positively about the mixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back