Mixing Gelish and nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi can I just ask how does the polish dry/cure in the gel when it's a totally different product, I mean it's wet, it's not like a glitter or a another dry product that has been added.

People can try things if they like... She is just showing her results.. she states she does not no about the wear of the product she has made, But why the hell not have a little mess around.
This forum is to ask advice and get advice, not to get a lot of abuse.

Aren't we meant to be creative then?

As a hairdresser, I am always inventing new tint combinations/hair styles etc. It is an essential pre-requisite for a good stylist.

Therefore, I can understand where the OP is coming from. She's had a go at doing something a bit different and wanted to let others know about it.

If you're not interested, fine, don't bother reading this type of thread and please don't bother telling the rest of us to stop being creative...it simply won't work. :lol:

Silly argument and not applicable at all as when you are mixing tints, presumably you are mixing things that are meant to be mixed and presumably compatible such as tint with tint. It is not the same at all as mixing a gel with a polish! The two are not meant to be mixed together, weren't designed to be mixed together and are completely different chemically. It will affect cure (undercuring can cause allergic reactions) it will affect performance and it may have other effects we know nothing about.

Mixing different products is not an 'essential prerequisite' for nail technicians. The OP is a student and doesn't know the first thing about what she is doing or the chemistry behind the products she is using. What she does to herself is one thing, what she does to a 'client', paying or not, is quite another. What she is doing is not being creative .. it is being foolish and irresponsible.

On the contrary I was very interested in the thread which is why I responded to it. I teach responsibility and the professional way of doing things ... that is why I am here. It is irresponsible to mix different chemical and incompatible substances and then to use them on a client, and to say any different to a student is being as irresponsible as she is being.

I have done this before when I wanted a particular polish colour, worked very well, I didn't notice any differance in wear, I would try and get the correct colour from Gelish, only to make life easier. I know gels are all very complicated formula's and it's not advisable to mess with them but sometimes it works, especially If you are only use it on yourself ! I have just had a quick look for an older post on this subject but can't find it, there were several we'll known techs who had commented positively about the mixing.

The discussion you mention was only for nail art purposes and went on top of an enhancement and not on the natural nail and was still not advised by anyone to do.

Last edited:
People can try things if they like... She is just showing her results.. she states she does not no about the wear of the product she has made, But why the hell not have a little mess around.
This forum is to ask advice and get advice, not to get a lot of abuse.

I gave my advice and all the perfectly sound and intelligent reasons for not 'having a little mess around' ... trouble is when newbies get good advivce and they decide they dont like the advice they rant on about being abused. There is no need to 'mess' with products that have already been proven to work very well the way they have been formulated.

Full cure is the most important thing when it comes to gels AND YOU CAN NOT SEE WITH YOUR EYES IF SOMETHING IS FULLY CURED OR NOT. IT MAY APPEAR TO BE CURED TO THE EYE BUT IT WILL NOT BE. UNCURED GEL CAUSES ALLERGIC REACTIONS.

Last edited:
Sometimes it the way you give advice geeg that get peoples goats up.

Sometimes it the way you give advice geeg that get peoples goats up.

I'm sure Geeg will answer this herself but many geeks love the direct approach, why ask a question if you only want an answer that suits you & not the truth? ;) x

Sometimes it sounds like she is having a go rather than advising, which some people dont like..

... Mixing different products is not an 'essential prerequisite' for nail technicians. The OP is a student and doesn't know the first thing about what she is doing or the chemistry behind the products she is using. What she does to herself is one thing, what she does to a 'client', paying or not, is quite another. What she is doing is not being creative .. it is being foolish and irresponsible.

Wow this thread really went crazy while I was asleep. Regarding this comment above this is just plain rude. You know nothing of what i know about my products. I have a BSc degree in Biology and a huge interest in chemistry and have read everything i could get my hands on about gel chemisty. I know everyone here says you are really straight-forward in your comments, but it can really knock on the door to rudeness.

I said in my original post that I did not have a white french Gelish. When the "client" came in, which is a friend of a friend and came to me fully knowing that i was still in training and needed the practise, she wanted classic gel enhancements. I told her that her natural nails were so perfect that if I were her I would rather go for a Gelish color. She loved the Gelish idea but wanted white french. TOGETHER we decided on trying something new. I wasn't deceiving anyone. The thing about capping the edges, when mixing a white with a clear you get...... a less opaque white. Since i could not put a thick layer of the white on the edges it looks as though there is nothing there, when there is.

She knew exactly what I was doing and will come back the minute something chips/flakes/breaks.

Wow this thread really went crazy while I was asleep. Regarding this comment above this is just plain rude. You know nothing of what i know about my products. I have a BSc degree in Biology and a huge interest in chemistry and have read everything i could get my hands on about gel chemisty. I know everyone here says you are really straight-forward in your comments, but it can really knock on the door to rudeness.

I said in my original post that I did not have a white french Gelish. When the "client" came in, which is a friend of a friend and came to me fully knowing that i was still in training and needed the practise, she wanted classic gel enhancements. I told her that her natural nails were so perfect that if I were her I would rather go for a Gelish color. She loved the Gelish idea but wanted white french. TOGETHER we decided on trying something new. I wasn't deceiving anyone. The thing about capping the edges, when mixing a white with a clear you get...... a less opaque white. Since i could not put a thick layer of the white on the edges it looks as though there is nothing there, when there is.

She knew exactly what I was doing and will come back the minute something chips/flakes/breaks.

Terrific .. I'm glad you are so well qualified in Biology (not really relelvant to this subject though) and your interest in chemistry (nail product chemistry I hope) in which case you should know better about the importance of full curing and the not having uncured gel near to clients skin and the importance of not mixing incompatible products.

Terrific .. I'm glad you are so well qualified in Biology (not really relelvant to this subject though) and your interest in chemistry (nail product chemistry I hope) in which case you should know better about the importance of full curing and the not having uncured gel near to clients skin and the importance of not mixing incompatible products.

Again. Rude.

Me thinks this thread has gone OC... Some very valid points have been made though. Happy Friday, Geeks! :)

I don't think so.

You are trying really hard to justify doing something that is not right to do. It really doesn't matter if you have every qualification in the book .. it does not make something wrong ... right.

Now I am leaving this thread as there is no more to be said. If you want to take my posts as insulting and rude then you take them that way. You want to go on messing and mixing ... you go right ahead. I am not bothered about what you do, but I am bothered if what you do influences anyone else to do it ... because that is irresponsible.

I will continue teaching people the right things to do, the responsible things to do and the professional way to treat their clients which will assure them of success.

I think what many are trying to say is that although experimentation in the right way such as new designs, nail art etc is great, some things are not meant to be experiemented with. Gelish to my knowledge is not meant to be mixed - there are good reasons for it that have already been explained to you. We as professionals need to promote proper and safe practise. There are so many working under the guise of nail technician, therapist etc that do not work to standard. Please see it from this point of view - for your own benefit and those of your clients - product durability and reliability, safety, insurance conditions and professionalism.:hug:

I just wanted to say that we are lucky to have an experienced, professional, and successful technician on this site such as Gigi (geeg).

She has taken the time to respond to this thread, and the advice given is to the protect the client and technician from possible harm. I'm all for experimentation but health and safety of our clients and ourselves need to come first.

I think it's important to remember that it's just words here on SG and they can be misinterpreted.
Rhiannon x

crikey, it all got very heated on here today;), I just have to throw my 'two penneth' in again.
Geeg does sometimes give very direct guidance, and you are free to take or leave it. All I will say is she is not trying to stop anyone's fun, she is just full of passion and experience and the bottom line is she cares!!!
I have only been around on salongeek a short while, but already I feel like bashing my head against a wall:Scared: we all love experimenting and being innovative with our ideas, but if you are trying mixing and experimenting with mixing these products on clients, that's just plain wrong!
I am a terrible messer when it comes to myself but when I do others nails I wouldn't dream of mixing things up. Having suffered terribly with allergies I know from experience that curing is not guaranteed if you mix systems and exposure to uncured gel (which you can't see with the naked eye) can lead to allergies.
If I caused one person to suffer the way I suffered by 'being creative' I would never sleep at night.
If I feel like bashing my head against a wall about curing issues after a short time, can you imagine how Geeg feels? still she dedicates her time and efforts to try to encourage us all to remain professional and work safely.

The discussion you mention was only for nail art purposes and went on top of an enhancement and not on the natural nail and was still not advised by anyone to do.

It was defiantly for full coverage NOT nail art, I rembered it because I started one of the threads lol ! It was when I was using Akzents ! Not advised by the chemists that make it but for personal use, which is what the op talked about, it worked !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back