Music Licence do you have one in your salon or home biz?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nique

Reaction score
I am opening a hair, nail and beauty salon soon and have just heard about a PPl Licence.

To play music publicly you have to have a licence for this. Do all you geeks have one? Do i only need a PPL licence or is their anything else i need apart from this to play music?

Do I have to play the original cd's or can play re-recorded mateiral (for example i was looking to do a mix of music and then transfer it to a cd)?

Can you think of any other requirments that I might not have thought about? I am going to see a buisness advisor so I am sure they will outline most requirments but just want to do my research so I can get on with planning things.

If you go on to the business link website that is local to you it offers a service where you put in your new business and what you'll be doing then tells you all the licences etc that you have to conform with and where to buy them, hth, Wendy xx

You have to have a license to play music in your place of business?

:eek: wow

Nothing like that here.

Uk is a funny place. :lol:

Uk is a funny place. :lol:

your telling me ...:lol:

i just don't have music in my home salon...it only gets in the way of chatting anyway...lol ..... but what if i was to have the radio on in the lounge ?????.....wonder how you would stand on that one !! xx

Well i for one WILL NOT be getting one of these, what is the world coming to, absolutely ridiculous, bring on the fine!!!! xxx

I buy my music from www.thefeelgoodcollection.com which have the licence included in the price, and they're very reasonable too.

I'll play what I like, send the music police round!!

I'll play what I like, send the music police round!!

lol
i have the radio... so what ever radio 1 has on is what ive got on!

your telling me ...:lol:

i just don't have music in my home salon...it only gets in the way of chatting anyway...lol ..... but what if i was to have the radio on in the lounge ?????.....wonder how you would stand on that one !! xx

You are right Bagpuss.Your home is your sanctuary and you can do whatever you want.I don't see how they will prevent you from doing this.
Preety soon you will need a licence to take your clothes off before shower in your own bathroom :irked:

I thought you needed a licence to play the radio too. I know is makes sense that you wouldn't because the radio channel plays the royalty fee's but I'm sure someone once mentioned on this site that you still need it for a radio????!!

lol
i have the radio... so what ever radio 1 has on is what ive got on!

You do have to have a license to play the radio in a shop. My FIL owns a card shop and was fined for not having a license. They came in and did spot checks.

Just be-careful if you dont have one. It's like a tv licence you may get away without one for years and then you get caught. I dont think it's that much money to get one but a lot if you get fined.

You do have to have a license to play the radio in a shop. My FIL owns a card shop and was fined for not having a license. They came in and did spot checks.

Just be-careful if you dont have one. It's like a tv licence you may get away without one for years and then you get caught. I dont think it's that much money to get one but a lot if you get fined.

What radio? Never had one in my life officer :lol:
I'm just a very good singer.

What radio? Never had one in my life officer :lol:
I'm just a very good singer.

LOL! and I have my own 40 piece orchestra in the shed!

I was looking at an MP3 player with docking speaker station for the salon to save having loads of CD's. Wonder how that would be classified - prob illegal!

what about singing.....can i sing in my salon....(not that i can sing)...could i record myself totally destroying "i will survive"...and then play it in my salon ???????

thanks for your advice

what about singing.....can i sing in my salon....(not that i can sing)...could i record myself totally destroying "i will survive"...and then play it in my salon ???????

Let us know when you make the CD:lol:

Well I've just had these people on the phone again, so I quizzed the lady being the good geek I am! Basically if you have a home salon where it is within your normal home, such as bedroom, broom cupboard, or in your lounge etc then you do not need a licence. However if you had a seperate building, or an extension built specifically for business use and classed as commercial premises then you would need the licence. So Angie, no need to sing anymore, get your radio on!

I buy my music from www.thefeelgoodcollection.com which have the licence included in the price, and they're very reasonable too.

I have this music too and didn't realise that the licence was included - that's good to know.

But, what about if you are renting a room in a salon and you want to play music, is it up to you or the salon owner to have licence?

I have this music too and didn't realise that the licence was included - that's good to know.

But, what about if you are renting a room in a salon and you want to play music, is it up to you or the salon owner to have licence?

Salon owner is responsible if you are renting space

Latest posts

Back