Music Licence do you have one in your salon or home biz?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I though too Trin but when these guys rang me they said that I was responsible if it wasn't part of the same business?

I was warned about a scam that the music licence people play on salons.
They phone, pretending to be a prospective client, even booking an appointment. Then ask about music.

If you admit you play music they send you a bill for the licence or the fine.

You can buy loyalty free music (dolphin and rain stuff), or play no music at all.

I had a call from the music licence people who said that I needed to sign a form to agree not to play music - I told them to stuff that. They can fine me if they catch me playing music.

Since I am mobile I don't play music, just another thing I have to lug around with me. But I don't object to a client having her TV or own music on. I think that is ok.

On the other hand, as a musician, that licence fee is how the musicians get paid, they're not all loaded.

It's around £60 and if you play music (even radio) it's still cheaper than the fine.

not only do you need a ppl you will also need a prs license as well, cant remember which one is for who, but one is for either the singers and producers and the other one goes to the writers and record companys or something like that, i spoke to the fsb to check it out when i was sent a letter saying i needed a ppl license as well, my daughter did offer to sing to the clients but would prob need a license for that as well.

Our salon has both. :(

However, it's usually best to wait until they have contacted you first- but once you're on the Database..its wise to get the license.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need a music licence if you have a home salon, and your salon is a room in your home, as opposed to a separate outbuilding or whatever.

Not sure what the rules are for mobile therapists who go round to someone's house and play music on an iPod or whatever while doing treatments.

Hi Ruth,

Don't worry they think of everything by calling it a 'Workplace' so if you have a home salon you need the music licences:irked: Read section '5 Workplaces' here Do I need a Music Licence?

As for mobile therapists, I think it's OK for the home owner to play music also not the therapist but the therapist mustn't give music to the home owner!

Anyhow I found a royalty free radio station on the web the other day. I haven't had time to to listen to it yet, but it's here if anybody's interested Royalty Free Business Radio - Gives unsigned bands a break

hth
jes

Hi Ruth,

Don't worry they think of everything by calling it a 'Workplace' so if you have a home salon you need the music licences:irked: Read section '5 Workplaces' here Do I need a Music Licence?

As for mobile therapists, I think it's OK for the home owner to play music also not the therapist but the therapist mustn't give music to the home owner!

Anyhow I found a royalty free radio station on the web the other day. I haven't had time to to listen to it yet, but it's here if anybody's interested Royalty Free Business Radio - Gives unsigned bands a break

hth
jes

Oh yes, the cheeky bar stewards! Thank you for that! I stand corrected:

"Home offices within a private residence - for an individual working on their own in the home office or for people who are permanently resident at that address. However, if you have colleagues working with you (who do not live at the premises) or customers/clients coming into your home (and music is played at these times), PRS for Music would apply the relevant tariff."

However, at least that means they aren't going to bill me for playing CDs on the hi-fi that I've already paid for while I geek out in my own house on my laptop!!!

After all, you can't beat a good bit of Cascada played at a decent volume when you need to type like a lunatic to get your work done!!!

I think the thing that bugs me the most about the PPL and PRS is they bill you on the amount of chairs you have. So basically the more people that could possibly listen to the music, the more they charge you. I feel they should charge a flat tariff, maybe based on turnover. Just because you have x amount of chairs shouldn't mean a bigger charge.
I wouldn't mind, but being on the coast means it is in the lap of the Gods what I can listen to, even with a digital radio. Our music tastes are too diverse in the salon to have CDs so we are stuck with radio Humberside at the moment. So that, coupled with the cost is enough to make this mild mannered salon owner stab her eardrums with a tailcomb! :eek:

That aside, you should really have a license, as someone mentioned before not all artists earn a great deal. (Married to a former musician!)

That aside, you should really have a license, as someone mentioned before not all artists earn a great deal. (Married to a former musician!)
This is where I have a problem. When listening to national or local radio stations all I'm hearing is successful, mega rich artists. I neither want to pay money to the rich ones I listen to, or the 'poor' ones that I don't :irked:

....Perhaps the rich artists should fund their less successful cousins:idea:

jes

This is where I have a problem. When listening to national or local radio stations all I'm hearing is successful, mega rich artists. I neither want to pay money to the rich ones I listen to, or the 'poor' ones that I don't :irked:

....Perhaps the rich artists should fund their less successful cousins:idea:

jes

Ha ha, yes. However, the artists make very little money from it, it's the greedy labels that do. Most famous people that we perceive as rich ( Meaning musicians) , are in fact not.They live on the never, never, subsidised by record companies who will pull the rug at a moments notice. Did you know most artists are on a small wage, that themselves have to pay back to the record company when they make the 'real' money. I think Girls Aloud worked for 5 years solid until they got any real benefit. So unless they are the writer, producer, musician etc. They really are just a 'cash cow' for the record companies. So I am all for the license going to the artist but not the greedy record company. :)

Latest posts

Back