My last few make up questions before I start buying :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolly6410

Reaction score
so i have been on here for the last few months asking questions on the same subject... make up! so i thought right, i'm going to start my own thread and ask a number of questions and i'd really appreciate any help :D i want to add make up to my price list, bridal and occasional to start off with, i have done my basic make up course at college and i think i'm good to go and attack all my friends and family to practice. heres my questions:

1. how much approx will it cost to start up? i understand make up is one of those things you constantly add to your kit so i will be forever spending, but how much will it cost to get my basic kit up together so i am able to start, i have saved up £1000 so far.

2. how do you know what make up is good, like how do you actually know, because obviously reps are going to say their foundation is the best so you buy it, i also went to my local top brand counter (not going to name names) and the girl looked like a bad drag queen and it really put me off asking her opinion.

3.if i'm just starting up should i buy a airbrush kit or should i just start off for the first year with using normal foundation and primer... so on.

4. i live in a area with alot of white people and not many other cultures, would you buy darker foundations or just wait until you got a booking in which you would need these colours?

5. where is the best place to buy the make up from, would you buy it from the website or counters? i like to test stuff out and annoy people with silly questions before i buy it so buying off the web kind of puts me off.

6. if anyone has any tips for starting up or has any recommendations like buy your lipsticks from this brand, or stay away from that brand, buy this primer, dont buy this primer... please say, any help would be great :)

7. what do you keep your make up in to take to peoples houses (i'm mobile) i found this Elite beauty trolley series - cosmetic trolleys - beauty cosmetics storage UK which i actually love but the sections could work out quite expensive, would i be better to just buy a case i can ram it all in?

i would love advice from people who do make up, not be preached to from companies who have a bias opinion. thank you!

Last edited:
Mac do a pro card which gives you discount on products. People know the name too. Art deco is a brand I'm looking into at the moment, they have a starter mobile kit that is something like £500. Then you can add to it constantly.
With foundations, I'm going to buy a light, medium and dark and blend my own shades. I've thought about asking them questions over the phone to get a feel for what they want then I can get the colours if I don't have them. So if they are extra fair or very dark I can add different colours to my kit.
Hth

Hiya, Some good questions... When i started i spent £1000 on brushes and makeup products but then after my airbrush part of the course i bought one which was £300 (you prob get cheaper but i wanted to get the one i trained with as i loved it! I would say you will poss need £1500 but if u have £1000 then there is no reason not to get buying and see how u get on.I started with brushes and got 5 mac and 5 bobbi B. then i worked out from there how much of what else i could get ie.. 4 blushers at £15 , 7 lipsticks at £12 and so on so that i didnt run out of money.

As for what makeup is good i work with alot of other friends from courses as i do quite alot of big weddings so i ask there opinion alot of it is trial and error and what one makeup artist may swear by using another may hate. Its personal pref.
My fave few things are: Mac strobe cream, lancome mattifying primer, Laura mercier brightening powder, armani foundations or clinique for a cheaper option, laura mercier and Bobbi B eyeshadows, bobbi B gel liner (get Black ink and espresso to start with),
Nars for strong coloured lip sticks mac or illmasqua for gloss and blushers, Becca for lip and cheek stain.

These are just my preff im sure other pple have diff opinions, For eyeshadows once i got my mac card i went in to a mac shop ( pref pro) and had a look at all the eyeshadows i started off with 12 in there palettes. then ordered over phone. Clinique i like to have a look in store and order on line as u can get quite a few freebies with them.

Foundation colours i got 5 clinique ranging from palest to VERY tanned in mixture of tones and then i bought 2 from bobbi b for darker skin.this has worked great and now replace as and when they finish.

I always take my time on a counter i have had many times where i get frustrated with the pple ie them telling me that foundation isnt my skin colour when im buying black skin foundations. but just tell them your just looking and u will ask if you need help. dont feel the pressure from them to buy anything.
I keep my makeup in tupper ware boxes stacked vertically in a small carry on suitcase.I do have a bad back and i do hair so i carry 1 for hair also but i find with beauty cases you are carry unnesessary extra weight witch believe me if there is someone with no lift at the top of a block of flats this is important! i rather buy a lightweight suitcase in pink if you want! and the tupperware can go in the dish washer when they need cleaning!
And think when buying Ie glass bottles can smash and are twice the weight of plastic. I never buy Glass foundations.
HTH happy spending.x

thank you so much for your opinions, some great tips there, have just been n mac and been reading about the pro card, sounds like a bargin! also the idea of a suitcase and tubawear sounds like an excellent idea, i always brake my cases which makes me want to cry as they cost like £60+, but i already have a small suitcase i used to use for hairdressing so i just need to get some tubawear! i can easily get another £500 out of my savings so i should be ok :) do you use a make up brush belt or just have them out infront or in a pot? i'm going to start writing a list :D ooo this is sooo exciting!

Hi dolly, just a quick reply before I start my ironing :( but I have a few crown brushes and they're not too bad at all. I have mostly mac ones but I got some crown ones to try from professional beauty north and I'm impressed. I got a few eye brushes coz you'll always need more than you think. And their angled liner brushes are very good indeed at a fraction of the price of my mac ones. Hope this helps but I'll think of more later and reply again xxxxx

You could do with getting the Bobbi Brown University palette. It has every shade of foundation, concealer and corrector so very handy.

Also, it would be worth looking at the following websites as they are more geared up for Make-up artists which this site isn't:

Make-up Advice Forum
In My Kit.com
EmElle
Spektra.net (MAC biased site)

x

Last edited:
Hi again ,firstly i totally agree with sharkster about the pallette would be a good i dea if u could get ur hands on one, also as for what to put them in i have both a tube and brush roll. When im doing a small wedding and i no i will be staying in the sam position all morning i will use my tube, if im on film set or photoshoot its gotta be belt, or even with a wedding with alot of pple where you know u will end up having to a few do retouches of power and gloss.....

thank you ladies, i will have a look at those websites. I have just googled the bobbi brown universal palette... wow!!! thats amazing. I might go into john lewis and try some bobbi brown myself, before christmas i went in and had a make over by one of the girls to try out the products and i honestly didn't look anything different to what my usual cheapy make up looks and it felt horrible on my skin, but everyone raves about it so i'm guessing it was how she applied it, i hate other people applying my make up lol. i'm going to have a look for a nice brush roll and tube, i just looked at the crown brushes and they look really good too, i def want some mac ones but sometimes i like a good'ol bargin! i think i might get a ticket to beautyUK :D

Heya Dolly,

this is a few questions!

1. the sky is the limit when buying makeup! Defo get a Mac pro card and Daniel Sandler and other brands do student/pro discounts. Sounds like you're ready to hit the shops! Don't forget to insure yourself and your kit...just in case...

2. think about the makeup you like to wear and then chat to friends and family...I'm all about the coverage! I love my base to look flawless and hate it when clients have nice lippy and smokey eyes with blotchy red skin poking out! I've got tinted moisturiser, medium coverage and full coverage foundations in your kit but to start maybe just tinted moisturisers and a few full coverages....that way u can add more to a very plain base if they want more but not to be cakey.

3. I've been making up people for 5 years and I don't airbrush yet. The real art is with your brushes...I've built up my regulars and mayb next year I'll airbrush but my bread and butter is private makeup lessons, special occasion makeup and weddings...

4. Yes make sure you have all foundation colours in...if you arent experienced in darker/ black/ indian complexions, maybe advertise you need to practise on someone for a few hours for free

5. buy your basics eg brushes, foundations, cheeks and shadows from well known makeup brands. It shows clients your a serious makeup artist and you have the best start with less of the best stuff rather than lots of cheaper stuff. I got a dermacolour palette off line, was recommended by another mua but I hadnt seen it in real life...it was a tester of the big one, you can get testers of some mascaras and I'm sure most stuff if there was something you really were serious about.

6. Things I love Daniel Sandler Brushes, Dermalogica Foundation (light/med coverage and you have to mix them) Moon beam by Benefit, OCC lip tar for lips, mac for eyeshadows and also cheapy sleek pallettes by superdrug, eylure for lashes, anywhere for black mascara but always waterproof, huggies wipes (they leave no residue like other wipes) 25p insulation (plug insulation tape) from b and q to pick up glitter from the cheeks if you ever have to work with glitter! Lil pot of vaseline- not everyone loves 8 hour cream by elizabeth arden...things I don't love smoulder by mac pencil eyeliner- i know at least 2 other artists who cant stand how soft it is and how it melts all over the place! the benefit cheek stain, it stains your fingers and brushes more than your cheeks, maxfactor smokey eye pencils, they are creamy and dont last...thats all right now!

7. I'm on my second trolley and it's near the end of its life. It looks pretty but lugging it in and out of the car, train etc it looks like its going to give in any second... I'm desperate to get a zucca pro, so strong they sell special cushions that means it can be a seat if you have a long way to travel with no seat!

Hope this helps!

so i have been on here for the last few months asking questions on the same subject... make up! so i thought right, i'm going to start my own thread and ask a number of questions and i'd really appreciate any help :D i want to add make up to my price list, bridal and occasional to start off with, i have done my basic make up course at college and i think i'm good to go and attack all my friends and family to practice. heres my questions:

1. how much approx will it cost to start up? i understand make up is one of those things you constantly add to your kit so i will be forever spending, but how much will it cost to get my basic kit up together so i am able to start, i have saved up £1000 so far.

2. how do you know what make up is good, like how do you actually know, because obviously reps are going to say their foundation is the best so you buy it, i also went to my local top brand counter (not going to name names) and the girl looked like a bad drag queen and it really put me off asking her opinion.

3.if i'm just starting up should i buy a airbrush kit or should i just start off for the first year with using normal foundation and primer... so on.

4. i live in a area with alot of white people and not many other cultures, would you buy darker foundations or just wait until you got a booking in which you would need these colours?

5. where is the best place to buy the make up from, would you buy it from the website or counters? i like to test stuff out and annoy people with silly questions before i buy it so buying off the web kind of puts me off.

6. if anyone has any tips for starting up or has any recommendations like buy your lipsticks from this brand, or stay away from that brand, buy this primer, dont buy this primer... please say, any help would be great :)

7. what do you keep your make up in to take to peoples houses (i'm mobile) i found this Elite beauty trolley series - cosmetic trolleys - beauty cosmetics storage UK which i actually love but the sections could work out quite expensive, would i be better to just buy a case i can ram it all in?

i would love advice from people who do make up, not be preached to from companies who have a bias opinion. thank you!

Hello!

First of all, it is pretty much impossible to give you a start up price because everyone will spend different amounts! Just make sure that you are applying for Pro discount everywhere you can first so you are not buying things at full price. Some places offer up to 40% offso you will save a lot!

How do you know that make up is good? By trying it of course! Do you already have favourites that you use on yourself or that you have used in training? That would be a good place to start. Go to counters and ask for samples, don't be afraid to try things out there. Everyone has their own opinions on what is good and what isn't, so I don't really agree with recommending things, but if you're really stuck I'm happy to tell you my favourites.

I would say that airbrush is not necessary, especially if you are just starting out.

I think that you should have a range of foundation shades as you never know the sort of booking that you may get at short notice. However, it is not necessary to have every sahde from a range as you can mix them. Just make sure that you have a white, a very darl shade and a few inbetween. A good white to have is Face and Body from MAC (the white shade is pro only so go to a pro store or give them a call), it is a light consistency and will not alter the texture of finish of the foundation too much. Illamasqua are good for very dark shades (they also do white).

I have just ordered one of those Roo Troleys for my nail kits, they are on offer at the moment with £30, there is a thread about it on the Nail geek at the mo.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. Hope that has helped a bit! x

Heya Dolly,

things I don't love smoulder by mac pencil eyeliner- i know at least 2 other artists who cant stand how soft it is and how it melts all over the place!

See, this is why I don't necessarily agree with recommending specific products, I think that Smolder is fantastic for certain things! I do use harder pencils when required but use the likes of Smolder just as often for certain looks. Just depends on the sort of work you are doing and the look you are aiming for.

Everyone has their own idea of which makeup works for them so IMATS London 4-5th Feb may be a good place to visit as they have suppliers all in one spot so you could try out and compare products whilst being able to ask lots of questions.

There are a lot of special fx makeup suppliers there but also quite a few for normal makeup. Illamasque are there as well as others and Mac pro usually let you apply for a pro card at their stand. I get some of my brushes & Kryolan products from Charles Fox who are exhibiting, crown brushes are also there.

Their website has more info : http://www.imats.net/london/london_index.php

Hope that helps.

this is why I don't necessarily agree with recommending specific products]

+1

I dont agree with recommending specific products/brands either, as each Makeup Artist will have certain products that work for them and not necessarily for others and they only way you will find out what works for you is by trial & error.

Alot of people use to recommend MAC to me and after trying there ranges out, I found they were not suitable, so I now stick to brands that are like grimas, rcma, screenface and graftobain.

this is why I don't necessarily agree with recommending specific products]

+1

I dont agree with recommending specific products/brands either, as each Makeup Artist will have certain products that work for them and not necessarily for others and they only way you will find out what works for you is by trial & error.

Alot of people use to recommend MAC to me and after trying there ranges out, I found they were not suitable, so I now stick to brands that are like grimas, rcma, screenface and graftobain.

Exactly. I love some MAC products and always use them but can't bear some others from them! Always good to have a mix of brands and try lots of things. I know that some make up artists do stick to the same brand but that's such a bad idea. Not only will you end up stuck in a rut, you may not be catering for all skin tones/types. Graftobian are great.

thank you so much ladies for taking the time to read my thread and answer my questions, it really is appreciated. i'm going to take a look at some of the brands you've all suggested. I agree lots of different brands are better than one, can't wait to start shopping! my dad keeps saying i don't need to buy all my kit at once, you just go out and buy it as you get a job.... no no no dad thats 1. not fun, and 2. not going to work! he even related it to fitting a light fitting in someones house, he said 'i don't have a million types of light fittings in my van, i go and do a quote and go and buy the stuff'... AHHHHH NO!!!!! :lol:

Just thought of another quick point i always carry at least two makes or any product because if u select say 5 mac face and body as ur foundations and then go to do a trial set up speak to the bride and find out she is allergic to f + body then ur stuck!lol
Not that ive ever come across any one allergic to this.
x

ooo thank you, i never think of stuff like that :)

has anyone got a 'added benefit' account with benefit? i was going to apply for one but it looks like its only for make up artists and not people like me doing bridal and occasion make up and make up lessons?

omg i didnt even know Benefit did a thing for muas...and you should be able to get one as doing bridal, spesh occasion and makeup lessons does make you an artist! x

Marking for later-I need to get me a benefit card, I spend a fortune in there stocking up my kit!!!

Please share your info regarding the Benefit programme! I just googled it and got nothing! Do you have a link to the web page? What is the discount with this? I love my MAC pro card....:Love: 35% off and masterclasses!​

Latest posts

Back