my nails are a nightmare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewsey

Reaction score
hope you can help

hi all

just wondered if you can help with some advice on my own nails.
i have taken my extensions off this weekend and my own nails
are dire, i only took them off for a breather and i have extreme lifting
on 8 out of 10 off my nails and i cannot bear them they are so sore
i have never had this before on mine or any clients, i have tried a search
but cannot see a case like mine, they are so painfull, i have swore i will
not put any extensions on them at the moment but they are unbearable and
i have read that the weight off the extensions can cause the nails to lift
even more, at the moment i have put a natural overlay on them but
they look horrible, would you agree that is it best to extension off for the
moment. Help!!!!!!

thanx

jules

I would leave them off for at least 24 hours and see what they are like tomorrow.
How did you take them off?

Hi Vicky

i soaked them off in Acetone in the quick soak bowl, you don't think
its due to me keep applying them and removing them do you as i like
to practice doing different things i keep them on for a month at a time
then take them off then re-apply.
thanx

jules

Taking them off after a month shouldnt do this to them?
I take mine off every few weeks as Im as bad for trying new stuff!
Are your nail plates very thin/ do you have any red patches/sorepoints?

Sounds to me like you've got onycholysis (spelling?) (nail plate/bed separation). Are they "white" where they should be pink. I would not put new enhancements on your nails if they are that bad and painful as you may cause the whole nail to come off if its that far gone. Do some searches on here, there may be some pictures. I had this on one nail and it has taken me months to grow out, even now its still there slightly and gives if i put an enhancement on. It was not caused by the "weight" of the enhancement, that wouldn't happen, but because i used my false nails to pull on something (i had no choice at the time, 10 miles from home with a flat tyre). When i soaked off my enhancements i had slight onycholysis in the one nail but put on another enhancement. a few days later my finger was tender so i soaked off the enhancement and i was able to just practically pick off my natural nail to half way down (not recommended as this leaves the nail bed exposed and tender). The only thing i think you can do is to keep them as short as possible and wait for it to grow out. unless anyone has any other advice....

I think Toni hit the nail on the head here!
Have you caught your nails at any time?
If its affecting all your nails and they are really painful you need to see your GP for a referral to a dermatologist they will grow out eventually but without seeing them its hard to say whats going on.
If the skin around them is swollen and possibly oozing or feels as tho its filled with fluid it sounds like paronychia which Ive had before on one toenail v.painful.

ps. i'm not sure i would even put an overlay on if they are that bad. once you have got this condition, even the the slightest pull on an enhancement or overlay can do more damage and your nails sound like they are in a right state and well past the first stages, especially if its painful, so i think its best to just leave them alone. Once you've broken that seal under the nail i think its very easy to just pull off the nail (i was told its like a tupperware box... its hard to get the top off until you break the seal, but then the rest of the top comes off easy and its the same with your nails). wear gloves when doing your clients so they can't see your nails and you won't have to explain. or can you get away with putting enamel on?

Think what you would do if a client came to you like that, because i'm sure if its as bad as i imagine i wouldn't put enhancements or overlays on, they are just too inflexible for a nail in that state to cope with. maybe i'm wrong or maybe someone could back me up on this?

Toni Talons said:
Think what you would do if a client came to you like that, because i'm sure if its as bad as i imagine i wouldn't put enhancements or overlays on, they are just too inflexible for a nail in that state to cope with. maybe i'm wrong or maybe someone could back me up on this?

I wouldnt touch anyones nails if they were in a state already especially if they are painful.
If you add an extension to it then you've got more nail to catch on things and make it worse for yourself by pulling the nail plate.
Remember they will still be a bit raw from soaking/buffing off today as acetone can really make poorly nails smart and sting, like when you get it in a scratch.
Take some painkillers and if they dont settle down by tomorrow go to the doctors.
And definately wear gloves when doing treatments.

i've pm'd you my mobile number. if you can, send me a piccy and i will see if it looked like mine when i had onycholysis. if it doesn't we'll go back to the drawing board.

hi

thanx for all your advice
my nail beds are exposed half way down and is white where it has lifted
but the problem is the sides are still there but is lifting from the middle of
the free edge halfway down to the nail bed and also it looks so disgusting
i will never get any clients at this rate, but it looks like i am going to have to put up with it until they grow a bit and give myself regular manicures.

thanx again

jules x

OMG That sound really sore :Scared:

Caz xxx

kaney jules said:
hi

thanx for all your advice
my nail beds are exposed half way down and is white where it has lifted
but the problem is the sides are still there but is lifting from the middle of
the free edge halfway down to the nail bed and also it looks so disgusting
i will never get any clients at this rate, but it looks like i am going to have to put up with it until they grow a bit and give myself regular manicures.

thanx again

jules x

YES this sounds exactly like mine. it was cloudy white from the free edge down the middle of the nail (but still pink at the sides) to about half way down. i picked at it and it just came away (don't pick, it will be even more tender and will leave your nail bed exposed and when you touch the nail bed its like someone is sticking a pin in it!). basically, the cloudy white bit is where the nail has lifted and the pink is where its still stuck down. don't put enhancements or overlays on, its too far gone. You will just have to keep them really short until it grows out. keep it short (file it back to where the free edge naturally starts) and just paint baby pink nail enamel or another colour that looks good on short nails. prepare to look like this for a good couple of months. mine grew out after about 2 or 3 months because everytime i thought i was getting somewhere i'd catch it and i'd be back to square one, so don't be tempted to grow your nails, just keep them filed back and painted for 3 months. Then see how they are. i wore some enhancements for the first time in 4 months last week, and i used gel as i think its slightly more forgiving than L&P, and like i said, its still there a bit and i constantly checked all the time that its not getting worse (I could see the slight bit of onycholysis i've got just behind the tip through the clear gel). I've took them off now because i'm going to be CreativeTechs model next week but it hasn't got any worse thankfully.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i think you are just going to have to accept they are going to look naff for a few weeks. If you're worried about what to tell your clients, just paint them and say you can't cope with long nails. i was honest with my clients when they asked, and told them i was changing the tyre on my bike (which just proves how strong my enhancements are!)

thanx Toni

youve given me some great advice and appreciate all your expert advice
and ill let you know how they are doing.

thanx

jules x

kaney jules said:
thanx Toni

youve given me some great advice and appreciate all your expert advice
and ill let you know how they are doing.

thanx

jules x

I wouldn't call myself an expert!!! its just that it sounds like what happened to my nails.

Toni Talons said:
I've pm'd you my mobile number. if you can, send me a piccy and i will see if it looked like mine when i had onycholysis. if it doesn't we'll go back to the drawing board.

what did you use to get rid of you onycholysis

:Grope: Hi all

you lot on here are so helpfull to each other,

i just thought id put that in:o

Hi

i know everyone is so helpfull and kind it makes all the difference.

jules x

thanx Jo

will have a read, i need all the help i can get with this.

cheers

jules x

perfect ten said:
what did you use to get rid of you onycholysis

i didn't use anything. first of all i picked off the offending nail because i didn't understand what had happened (der!) and it came off with ease because it wasn't attached . big mistake because. although it was not painful to pick it off because it was separated, this left my nail bed exposed and it was sooooooooo tender. it was okay if i left it alone, but if i touched it, even with my finger, it would feel like i'd stuck a pin in it!

so, after that, i decided the best thing to do was this. i ditched the enhancements and just kept it short (after it had grown back over the nail bed). Thing is, even tho the nail grew back it did not re-attach itself straight away. that was the longest bit to wait for. i thought it was never gonna look normal again. The bit of nail i picked off took about 3-4 weeks to grow back to where you expect your free edge to start, but the white cloudiness did not go until about 3 months later. it takes ages to re-attach so i just kept it filed short (to where the free edge is supposed to start but still covering the nail bed... i wasn't making that mistake again!) so that it wouldn't catch on anything.

even now i have uneven white (my natural smile isn't smiling, more like down in the mouth - smiling the wrong way if you know what i mean, so i have to be really careful) i did put a gel enhancement on but i was constantly watching it through the pink gel to make sure it didn't go again. any little bit of pressure makes it go again so you have to be really careful.

Latest posts

Back