My New Home Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJulesBeauty

Reaction score
Hello

I am working from home at last. I love having customers come to me, they all seem really relaxed but I am not!

I don't know why but I feel on edge all the time and not nearly as confident as I was in my high street salon.

I have animals at home, this was my biggest concern before I took the plunge but after some reassurance from people who also have home salons and animals I decided to go for it.

At the moment my salon is upstairs... Customers come in through the front door and then straight up the stairs to the salon. I always feel strange showing them in and out. It just doesn't seem professional. I want everything to be perfect - Am I asking too much?

My home salon has been going for about 3 weeks now.

Hi

My home salon is the same - upstairs.

At first it felt a bit strange but clients are returning so they obviously don't mind.

I just never know whether to ask them to take their shoes off or not especially in this weather!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I feel exactly the same! We moved to a new converted mill but part of it is the treatment area and it feels really odd having clients in and I'm really nervous before appointments!

Hopefully I'll just get used to it!

Thanks for replying, at least now I don't feel so alone.

My customers have not raised any concerns and are returning like you said so guess I must be doing something right. I want to get the "salon" feeling to my room and I am just not feeling it :(

I have uploaded some pics here, would you have a look and tell me what you honestly think. Please be as critical as you need to be, I need to know if it looks tacky / unprofessional

Cheers

Attachments

• Bassetlaw-20111122-00471.jpg
    Bassetlaw-20111122-00471.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,325
  • Bassetlaw-20111122-00474.jpg
    Bassetlaw-20111122-00474.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,304
  • Bassetlaw-20111120-00459.jpg
    Bassetlaw-20111120-00459.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,256
I feel exactly the same! We moved to a new converted mill but part of it is the treatment area and it feels really odd having clients in and I'm really nervous before appointments!

Hopefully I'll just get used to it!

How long has it been for you hun?

3 weeks as well!

My customers have not raised any concerns and are returning like you said so guess I must be doing something right. I want to get the "salon" feeling to my room and I am just not feeling it :(

I have uploaded some pics here, would you have a look and tell me what you honestly think. Please be as critical as you need to be, I need to know if it looks tacky / unprofessional

Cheers

I think it looks fine, clean, smart and welcoming. Just wonder if any storage units would help like the white cupboards they seem to have in salons for your kit?

I'll post some pics when we get sorted as we've only just moved there!

Thats not such a bad idea Botoxboy - Will look into that x

Do you think the till looks out of place?

I don't really have a reception area ... Do you?

I didn't actually notice it! I don't have a reception area, it's hard to explain without pics but part of the area is sectioned off.

I still work from two clinic rooms and do mobile as well.

Thanks hun appreciate all your feedback. I perhaps just need to get used to this whole home working thing x

Thanks for all your help, I look forward to seeing pics of your new set up xxx

Cheers

I think your salon looks lovely! when i worked from home (well my parents house at the time) i was always nervous having new clients come in as my home is a sanctuary for me and i was ALWAYS nervous they were judging how i lived. unfortunately i came across people who told me to me face that i don't need money because i have such a nice house even after explaining to them this is my parents place not mine! :evil: even though this is your house i still hope you never come across people like that

after time you will be ok, takes some getting used to :)

Aww thanks Jen.

I cannot believe the cheek of some people! you hit the nail on the head though, I do worry about what people think of my house etc, even though actually they only see the stairs, hallway, bathroom and treatment room.

It is still my home and very personal to me which is maybe why it is uncomfortable for me.

I am sure I will relax in time x Thanks again x

Your treatment rooms looks lovely. The till is fine where it is, I used to have a room the same size as that when I worked from home and I had a till on a table which I got from ikea and it stood a little way from the wall just enough room for me to get behind so it looked like a reception desk.

My clients had to come in through my little porch area into my living room and then up the stairs to have their hair extensions fitted. After I finished if they wanted to chat for a minute I used to keep them in the room and then as I showed them to the door I used to say something like, I will show you out as you your bound to want to get home and show your family members your hair, or something like that so they wouldnt stand in my living area and chat to my husband.

Now I have moved to a salon and I find it much better.

I love having treatments done at somebodys home, I go to a beauty therapist for my treatments and I go to her home and I love going. The animals are an added bonus I love having a dog around although not everyone loves animals its one of those things

Your treatment room looks really nice; its clean, spacious, well laid out and designed for the treatments you provide. The great thing I love about working from home is that you can do things easily between clients , when you have a break, you can be more flexible with clients and appointment times and I find that my clients feel much more relaxed in this environment than in a busy salon. It does take a bit of time to get used to working from home when you were used to working with other therapists.
I have a busy business from home which I really enjoy and I have a dog and manage to keep them both seperate and dont neglect either of them.. lol..

Good luck and I hope it all goes well
Jack

Hi, we used to have a dining room lol until I passed my beauty therapist course in July 2011. I love doing treatments from home.

I need to learn how to post pictures, and I will so you my room.

Aww thank you guys - your comments have all been greatly appreciated! I do love the flexibility it gives especially this time of year. Myself and my partner are also trying for a baby so the flexibility (if we are successful in our wishes) will be essential.

I know now thanks to all your posts that in time I will relax. I am going to make a few changes. I am going to get a coat stand or rail so that I can take their coats etc professionally instead of dumping them on the couch or on the back of a chair. I am also going to get a coffee machine so that I don't have to keep running down the stairs. I am going to have a little plate with some choccies or biscuits and maybe some fresh flowers too. Oh and need to get a doorbell. Think I will have some signs made for the outside of the door "Treatment Room" & "Rest Room" for the salon area and bathroom...

Thanks again guys x

PS If anyone can think of anything critical please come and say it xxx Cheers

Hi, we used to have a dining room lol until I passed my beauty therapist course in July 2011. I love doing treatments from home.

I need to learn how to post pictures, and I will so you my room.

Would love to see pics Paula... It is really easy just scroll down a bit when you reply and go to manager attachments, browse, upload you pics, wait til its done and then close the pop up window - type your message in the usual box and submit x

You honestly have no need to worry - your treatment room looks fabulous and really professional. I also work from home and have a dog and, as malewaxer says, the two don't meet (apart from the odd client who always wants to see our spotty dog!).

I've had my home clinic for 15 years now and the only time I don't really like working from home is when I work the odd evening when my family is around.

Hope your clinic gets really busy quickly x

Your room looks lovely. I didn't notice the till until you mentioned it, but maybe that would be better outside the room? Just a thought. I think it is fine either way.

all the best

xx

hi can i ask how you went about setting your home salons up. i thought about it for a while. did you check if neighbours minded, did you get planning permission? how do you avoid hair getting through the rest of the house, which it does and always will as i used to do the odd client at home......if this recession kills my salon and i want to rid overheads i might be heading this way. thanks and good luck.

Latest posts

Back