My New Home Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Topcuts

I did chat to my neighbours just out of courtesy really. You do have to apply to the council for planning permission this cost me just under £400 but didnt take too long to come through. They assessed my home and plans and made me make some slight changes. H&S said I needed a hand rail on the stairs and a fire extinguisher and a few other little things x

My over heads are significantly reduced now though x

Hi gorgeous tips,

I felt exactly the same when I opened my home salon in September this year, I was so anxious and nervous all day waiting for people to arrive, checking they had parked correctly, not blocking my neighbours in etc.. But that lasted about 6 weeks, then something clicked.... It felt right!! The only bonus of those horrid unsettled feelings was that I lost about half a stone in weight!! (all firmly back on now!!!)
Now it's been nearly 4 months all is going ok feel so much happier than in my salon!! I LOVE it!!!
Your room looks fab!!
I also have 2 cats that meowed at my door all day until one client asked me to let them in so I did, now they seem to be my star attraction and since that day the cats don't want to know!!

I wish u all the success xx

Thank you once again to everyone who has replied!

I have had just the day I needed after yesterdays down feeling about my home salon....

I have been really busy with customers today including a couple of newbies! All of which were so complimentry about my space it really set me on a high - Maybe I am being just too self critical!

I know I will relax in time, just need to make a few small changes then I will be happy I am sure x

Thanks for reassuring me that my anxiety is normal xxx

PS Love the weight loss/gain comment in the previous post xxx

Hi geeks

I have a home-based treatment room, which is my garage which we had converted some time ago. I have redecorated and spruced it up a bit. Mine is downstairs however people walk through my hall-way and kitchen to get to the garage. It has been a lengthy process and sorting my prices was agonising! I'm now trying to sort the business rates etc as I work from home, as well as registering as self-employed. Although I have only been operating for a couple of weeks (missed the whole Christmas period) I am wondering how long it will take to get established!

The Beauty Room pic.jpg

The Beauty Room nails.jpg

Wow! I love it... Love the colours, very chic...

It depends on how you advertise... Can take a while to build up business but search for the thread on here 'how to promote your business' I think it's called and I did a summary of the advice and it worked really well for us...

Good luck!

You're room is lovely and it sounds like you haven't got anything to worry about! As for the til...I had to go back and scruntinise the pictures to see it! lol

I also work from home. My clients have to walk through my lounge to get to my room, which is not my ideal situation, but I can't have everything! I also have a conservatory off of my room with the kids toys in it. Again, it's not an ideal set up as my son can't get to his toys while I have clients in (that said, most of my clients come whilst he is either at preschool or in bed, so it's not a big issue). My cat is also a firm favourite with many of my clients, in fact one of them insists I let him in to sit on her lap whilst she has her nails done.

In my experience, many people like the fact that the whole set up of coming to someones house is more relaxed and informal. That is exactly why they choose to come to us than a salon in the first place!

Thanks botoxboy, its really nice to have some positive comments. I will have a butchers at the thread, thanks for the suggestion x

Thats not such a bad idea Botoxboy - Will look into that x

Do you think the till looks out of place?

I don't really have a reception area ... Do you?

I didn't notice the till either. You're lucky to have such a nice big room. My salon room is tinsy, I have to move my nail table to wax!

Just one comment (and it's just 'cause I'm obsessive and you asked for any negative as well as positive) I'd have matching coloured towels.

Hello, you did ask for honest opinion?:Scared:

I love colour of drapes and scatter cushions on sofa, however.....
I would have drape over bed to the floor, it will look much more luxiourious than seeing metal legs and towels.
I would colour coordinate colours.
All poster,certificates ect on the wall, would look neater in frames and more professional in my opinion.
I would remove till, a little box would suffice to put money in and just keep enough change in it. Magazines would be put away and only brought out when needed, I.e if you were doing nails and their friend came for a chat too.

It looks very clean and cosy :) and your window display looks nice and neat.

I work from home too - straight in, up the stairs and into the room luckily, no need to go into the lounge.

The Salon - Eden Beauty

My wallpaper is different now (slight spray tan mishap).

I much prefer working from home :)
xx

Hi Rachel, I love your pale blue and cream color theme, looks beautiful.

I love this thread!

I work from home and I am always stressing thinking right clean up after the dog (who incidently is malting at the mo grr) plus two kids a 9 year old who seems to scatter lego everywhere he goes no matter how much I go on and a 17mth old who has sticky fingers that go everywhere and loads of bulky toys oh and a husband who thinks they fairies clear up after the piles of stuff he leaves randomly all over the house:o! Phew rant over. I have a table set up in my dinning room which is open plan with the kitchen, dinning room and 2nd reception room. Its ok but I hate looking at it all the time and as it seems to be the hub of the house as kitchens tend to be I feel I am always panicing about it being spotlessly tidy and clean which with kids and a dog is not poss 24/7 My husband built a brick shed at the bottom of the garden and he feels my pain so is converting that which could be accessed directly from our driveway but I reckon as he is a builder this could take decades lol

Mind you all that said most clients say they love seeing the family and coming to my home as its more personal so I guess I am trying to please all the people all the time and thats never ever gonna happen

I work from home too and know exactly what you mean.

http://www.salongeek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11238&stc=1&d=1326497455

I think i've developed ocd now...i vacumn constantly as clients walk through my lounge diner to the garden where my log cabin is situated.

I had a brief stint in a sunbed shop (it was way too hot! no ventilation and the owner complained about acrylic!) and when I told my clients I was moving back to the cabin I was shocked when most said they preferred the cabin:) so its not all bad and yes i appreciate it all the more since moving back, its compact but lovely:) and like everyone else when it's quiet i don't have to go anywhere! and can potter about at home. I do worry tho about my sons 19 and 22 coming in and leaving a mess:cry:

Attachments

• CABIN XMAS MAIN BEST.jpg
    CABIN XMAS MAIN BEST.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 507
Hi Rachel, I love your pale blue and cream color theme, looks beautiful.

thank you x

I think that anyone that makes an appointment with anyone that works from home will expect that it will be a different (not better or worse!) experience from going to a traditional salon.

plus another pic sorry didn't seem to load on last post!

Attachments

• cabin shellac deesk pic dec11.jpg
    cabin shellac deesk pic dec11.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 440
Thanks for replying, at least now I don't feel so alone.

My customers have not raised any concerns and are returning like you said so guess I must be doing something right. I want to get the "salon" feeling to my room and I am just not feeling it :(

I have uploaded some pics here, would you have a look and tell me what you honestly think. Please be as critical as you need to be, I need to know if it looks tacky / unprofessional

Cheers

I think it's beautiful

Hi geeks

I have a home-based treatment room, which is my garage which we had converted some time ago. I have redecorated and spruced it up a bit. Mine is downstairs however people walk through my hall-way and kitchen to get to the garage. It has been a lengthy process and sorting my prices was agonising! I'm now trying to sort the business rates etc as I work from home, as well as registering as self-employed. Although I have only been operating for a couple of weeks (missed the whole Christmas period) I am wondering how long it will take to get established!

View attachment 11007

View attachment 11008

I love the pics

I work from home too and know exactly what you mean.

http://www.salongeek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11238&stc=1&d=1326497455

I think i've developed ocd now...i vacumn constantly as clients walk through my lounge diner to the garden where my log cabin is situated.

I had a brief stint in a sunbed shop (it was way too hot! no ventilation and the owner complained about acrylic!) and when I told my clients I was moving back to the cabin I was shocked when most said they preferred the cabin:) so its not all bad and yes i appreciate it all the more since moving back, its compact but lovely:) and like everyone else when it's quiet i don't have to go anywhere! and can potter about at home. I do worry tho about my sons 19 and 22 coming in and leaving a mess:cry:

It looks so tranquil

Hwilliams - thank you.x

Latest posts

Back