My New Home Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For myself, I work from home and mobile.

I contract myself to a salon and a company that deals with residential care homes.

My home salon is in our smallest bedroom and is fine but getting cramped from when I first moved in due to all new services I offer.

People come in, straight upstairs.

Mobile isn't really busy but I keep my car as clean as I can.

The salon is lovely but find I'm lugging my stuff back and forth.

The care homes are really like being mobile so with traffic and driving in areas I don't know, it stresses me out a bit. I can work in a busy lounge, dining room or residents bedroom.

I want my own salon but financially it's not going to happen. I would have liked it this year but a big fat no-no.

All the pics all look great.

Coming from someone who works in all sorts of spaces/places, as long as you got the clients, stick with it.

The fact that some of you feel something is missing, or you strive for perfection is a symbol that you have the drive, passion and care that shows you are good at what you do and want to go the extra mile.

With that in mind, you could be working out of a box and still have clients so...

Keep up the good work, everyone.

H x

For myself, I work from home and mobile.

I contract myself to a salon and a company that deals with residential care homes.

My home salon is in our smallest bedroom and is fine but getting cramped from when I first moved in due to all new services I offer.

People come in, straight upstairs.

Mobile isn't really busy but I keep my car as clean as I can.

The salon is lovely but find I'm lugging my stuff back and forth.

The care homes are really like being mobile so with traffic and driving in areas I don't know, it stresses me out a bit. I can work in a busy lounge, dining room or residents bedroom.

I want my own salon but financially it's not going to happen. I would have liked it this year but a big fat no-no.

All the pics all look great.

Coming from someone who works in all sorts of spaces/places, as long as you got the clients, stick with it.

The fact that some of you feel something is missing, or you strive for perfection is a symbol that you have the drive, passion and care that shows you are good at what you do and want to go the extra mile.

With that in mind, you could be working out of a box and still have clients so...

Keep up the good work, everyone.

H x

That sounds like hard work for you but well done you!

I've thought about approaching the local old peoples homes and offering just a paint and polish etc as thought maybe Shellac a bit much for some old ladies who like changing colours etc, may give that some serious consideration this week... but what to charge?

I know what you mean about space, mine is limited but i've tweaked it so it works.

I think we all want to look and be professional and sometimes feel if you say your 'just' working from home you lose a little of that... but i agree we should all see the positive sides to it, easier for clients to get to, no hefty parking fees etc.

Lovely to see everyone's pics, there great :)

That sounds like hard work for you but well done you!

I've thought about approaching the local old peoples homes and offering just a paint and polish etc as thought maybe Shellac a bit much for some old ladies who like changing colours etc, may give that some serious consideration this week... but what to charge?

I know what you mean about space, mine is limited but i've tweaked it so it works.

I think we all want to look and be professional and sometimes feel if you say your 'just' working from home you lose a little of that... but i agree we should all see the positive sides to it, easier for clients to get to, no hefty parking fees etc.

Lovely to see everyone's pics, there great :)

Sadly, this time of year has affected all my work.

Bearing in mind, I left my clients in London and relocated to Chester:

My home salon and mobile business has 40 clients on my database and I have 3 active clients.

I've mailshot, SMS'd, had a sale, ran an FB competition and NOTHING!

Did literally everything on Lynne Barker's thread and still very quiet.

I'm leaving the salon as I'm meant to do 2 days but some weeks there are no bookings for me and it doesn't warrant paying for nursery.

I'm also leaving the homes. As much as I love it, it's just not worth my while for the same reason.

The decision was not made lightly, I've been quite tearful as it goes.

But about to start a new venture which I'll tell you all about soon.

H x

Hello everyone! I just found this thread and need your help.

When you were setting up your salons / beauty rooms at home did you inform your insurers and mortgage people or just insurers?

I spoke to council already but I am struggling with finding out what to do next.

Please help xxxx

Thanks Posh Bird

You must have read my mind, my posters and certs are now in frames and look SO much better! I think your right about the till. I think it needs to go too x

Thank you so much for your advice regarding the couch and colour coordination. I will also stash the magazines rather than have them on display. Thank you so much, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for!

Glad you're getting sorted!

My new home clinic is proving to be really popular! It seems to work well as we're in a converted mill so you can walk in off the street and not even know its an apartment!

Using PayPal in the iPad is good as well as clients love it for convenience and the before and after shots!

Hi Gorgeous tips....ur room looks lovely, there is one thing i noticed that you could maybe change, i notice you have your massage table next to the window and you have sheer curtains with no blinds, some clients may feel slightly exposed when undressing for a massage etc so maybe heavier curtains would be an idea? Looking good tho!!

Thanks Posh Bird

You must have read my mind, my posters and certs are now in frames and look SO much better! I think your right about the till. I think it needs to go too x

Thank you so much for your advice regarding the couch and colour coordination. I will also stash the magazines rather than have them on display. Thank you so much, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for!

Can we have an updated pic!! I agree with covering your couch to the floor I have 2 towels length ways to the floor on mine and a fur throw at the end, as posh bird said I think it will fab with the legs covered add some texture and itl look really luxurious and inviting - other thing how a bout a wall decal Ive just put one up and its transformed my room Ill see if I can upload a pic!! I also need similar feedback when mines 100% where Id like it to be hope youll give me some help too!!x

Think Ive uploaded it right!!

Attachments

• wall decall.jpg
    wall decall.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 316
Your room looks lovely!

My council agreed today my home based salon and I am so excited! Have't felt like this before for a long long time!!!! I will be shortly adding my pictures! Woop woop !!!

Hurray!!
Thanks for listening ;) xxxxxxxxxc

How did you go about asking them? Did you write them a letter what did you say?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Just give them a ring. Its quicker!

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

Jack (male waxing) where abouts are you? I'm setting up mobile/at home spray tanning at my house on Holloway Road next week. How do you find Islington for mobile beauty? Is it busy?

I have a Chihuahua so I hope people won't be offended by her - and I think they would rather be tanned in my own home (I live alone) than in a busy salon.

PS the room looks lovely!

I work from home too and know exactly what you mean.

http://www.salongeek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11238&stc=1&d=1326497455

I think i've developed ocd now...i vacumn constantly as clients walk through my lounge diner to the garden where my log cabin is situated.

I had a brief stint in a sunbed shop (it was way too hot! no ventilation and the owner complained about acrylic!) and when I told my clients I was moving back to the cabin I was shocked when most said they preferred the cabin:) so its not all bad and yes i appreciate it all the more since moving back, its compact but lovely:) and like everyone else when it's quiet i don't have to go anywhere! and can potter about at home. I do worry tho about my sons 19 and 22 coming in and leaving a mess:cry:

That looks great and I'm planning on getting a summer house type thing for my garden to do treatments in.Did you have to get permission for working from home?

Yeah, evidently you are supposed to get permission if you are going to be using any part of your home for business purposes. I'm going through the process now and I'm finding it extremely frustrating.

I wanted to do everything above board (as I know some people set up without permission) so I didn't have to worry (e.g.neighbours complaining in future or anything) so decided to put in an application to the local council. But it seems there's been an objection from my local councillor on the grounds that my business might generate too much traffic. But I've a huge driveway at the front of my house and we are a one car family. I also agreed not to have overlapping appts (I would leave a gap) so there would never be more than one customer at my house at any one time. So I can't see how there is any problem? The really ironic thing is I just voted for her in the recent elections and so did all my family. :irked: How stupid do I feel?!

Now it has to go before the new planning committee which hasn't even been set up yet due to the elections only being a few weeks ago. They have to decide on new members or something? So I have no idea how long I'm going to be left hanging without a decision? I have been told I cannot trade without this permission so if I don't get it I have no idea what I'm going to do?!?! I registered as self employed last week as I didn't think there would be a problem. I feel like crying :sad:

Its lovely to see everyone's home salon's else set up, looking fabulous and doing well though. I just hope I can join you soon x I'll let you know how things progress.

I don't understand why they would have a problem as you'd only have one client at a time so one car! That like saying you can't have family and friends to visit you as there would be too many cars! That's so silly! You must be so annoyed! Hope it works out for you :) let us know how you get on! x

Thanks for your support hun!

I have sent an email to the Cllr concerned just stating what you've said really and that its not some big business opening..in case thats what they thought. But no response as of yet?! :sad:

Have decided to try to go mobile just to get up and running, but as that wasn't what I'd planned I'm a bit slow off the mark....have to buy portable equipment and stuff now.

Will definitely let you know how things go. I'll be on here celebrating if I get any good news!

Latest posts

Back