Nail art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does acrylic paint need to dry for before topcoating with gel polish?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445023400.999041.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445023421.438825.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445023436.045960.jpg

I done my marbling and dotting with Gel..if you don't use too much it shouldn't run xx

Acrylic paint always dries matte so once the shine has gone you should be right to top coat, although if you have done dots with a dotting tool that are a little thick i would give it an extra minute or 2. I always like to take the shine of the polished nail before i start acrylic painting, just to give the paint something to grip onto. Also double top coating is a good idea

Once I discovered acrylic paint I never sent back to polish. Unless I need a glitter or something. I've recently started using water color to and its giving me a completely different look. Brushes that I usually cut to my liking and dotters. I've not had much luck with stamping , however the stamping kit I tried was fairly cheap. As with most things you get what you pay for in sure.

Attachments

• 1445059421846.jpg
    1445059421846.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 1445059451160.jpg
    1445059451160.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 1445059527647.jpg
    1445059527647.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 115
Still on the nail art subject but just a slightly different question....I usually do my nail art on gel polish/Shellac.
I am doing a friends and her daughters nails tomorrow, and her daughter has a file and polish/Vinylux. But today she has asked if I can do a lace and Kath Kidston type nail art on her daughter.
What would you suggest I use to create the hand painted patterns (nails are too small for stamping) on Vinylux, Vinylux or acrylic paint???
I am not looking forward to it as I am so used to the versatility and the forgiving nature of gel polish when it comes to nail art?

Last edited:
Still on the nail art subject but just a slightly different question....I usually do my nail art on gel polish/Shellac.
I am doing a friends and her daughters nails tomorrow, and her daughter has a file and polish/Vinylux. But today she has asked if I can do a lace and Kath Kidston type nail art on her daughter.
What would you suggest I use to create the hand painted patterns (nails are too small for stamping) on Vinylux, Vinylux or acrylic paint???
I am not looking forward to it as I am so used to the versatility and the forgiving nature of gel polish when it comes to nail art?

Anyone?

I would recommend acrylic paint. You can thin your paint and use a fine brush to create very thin lines and in my opinion, 'draw' better with paint than with polish.
Regular polish dries too quick, especially Vinylux, and isn't a good consistency to create intricate artwork. It's also difficult to correct any mistakes without affecting your base colour.

I apply two coats of colour, and by the time I've finished the last nail, the first one painted is dry enough to begin art on top before topcoating, and the surface is not too glossy to hold the paint.
If you are worried, you can topcoat the polish, let it dry, and then begin your art. Takes longer, but that way if you make any mistakes, or you aren't happy with your art, it can be washed away gently with water (if you used paint) before starting again and your polish will be intact. If you do this method though, don't make your paint too watery, or it won't adhere to the glossy surface very well, and 'slip off' as you work. Then topcoat agin :) HTH x

I would recommend acrylic paint. You can thin your paint and use a fine brush to create very thin lines and in my opinion, 'draw' better with paint than with polish.
Regular polish dries too quick, especially Vinylux, and isn't a good consistency to create intricate artwork. It's also difficult to correct any mistakes without affecting your base colour.

I apply two coats of colour, and by the time I've finished the last nail, the first one painted is dry enough to begin art on top before topcoating, and the surface is not too glossy to hold the paint.
If you are worried, you can topcoat the polish, let it dry, and then begin your art. Takes longer, but that way if you make any mistakes, or you aren't happy with your art, it can be washed away gently with water (if you used paint) before starting again and your polish will be intact. If you do this method though, don't make your paint too watery, or it won't adhere to the glossy surface very well, and 'slip off' as you work. Then topcoat agin :) HTH x

Thank you so, So, SO much. I will do the daughter first, that way when mum's shellac mani is done they will be nice and dry. I just hope my acrylics are usable.

I did this cath kidston-ish design with shellac and a dotting tool x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445689659.914726.jpg

Latest posts

Back