Nails or eyelashes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimpardy

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I currently am a Certified Eyelash Technician and I have had several clients say I should do nails as well. So, I enrolled in a Nail Technician course, and I'm really excited to get started. I'm just curious as to the degree of difficulty I should expect. Is it harder to do than eyelash extensions or is it easier? From the looks of things, it seems easier. Does anybody else do both beauty treatments? What can I expect?

Manicure and pedicure and gel polish are pretty easy but acrylics is a lot of work to get good. You've got to do a lot of practice and there's so many things that can go wrong!
I don't do hard gel extensions but that's another skill altogether. What length course Are you doing?

I find my students struggle with acrylic compared to gel but if you practice you will get the hang of it. My nail course runs for 5 months and that is mani/pedi, shellac, gel enhancements, acrylic enhancements, advanced nail art, sculpturing and electric filing. I usually find with my students that at the end of the course theyve mastered gel but not acrylic. I tell them (and this is usually the case )that after their course if they do 1 full set of acrylic nails everyday, theyll master it in 8-12 months. Seems like a long time but there is a huge difference between an ok set of nails and a perfect set of nails. There are so many factors that come in to achieving a perfect set of acrylic nails.

Manicure and pedicure and gel polish are pretty easy but acrylics is a lot of work to get good. You've got to do a lot of practice and there's so many things that can go wrong!
I don't do hard gel extensions but that's another skill altogether. What length course Are you doing?
I am doing gels only, with e-file training and nail art basics. The course takes 5 weeks of weekends (so 10 days). I've learned the hard way to research good trainers/courses.

10 days! Why is it inly for 10 days? How are you supposed to learn everything in 10 days?????

I have almost stopped doing eyelash extensions now as nails are so popular however I don't do hard gel nails as they aren't very popular in my area. I do mainly acrylic and a little bit of Gel polish. Is there a reason you aren't training in acrylic?

10 days! Why is it inly for 10 days? How are you supposed to learn everything in 10 days?????
I have a MASSIVE binder with everything in it (I got it last week and I'm on module 10 now), and I have to have all of the 27 modules completed before going to the course in September. Then we review all the theory and do nails for 10 days. So, basically the 10 days are more practicum than anything. I didn't want to take a one day course (yes, they are available here), but also couldn't spend months in a classroom either. So, this was a good alternative. It's extremely thorough and detailed from what I've seen so far.

I have almost stopped doing eyelash extensions now as nails are so popular however I don't do hard gel nails as they aren't very popular in my area. I do mainly acrylic and a little bit of Gel polish. Is there a reason you aren't training in acrylic?
I've known three techs who have gotten the exact same operable brain tumors. The only common denominator was acrylics. It may have been other factors, but who knows. I also don't like the fumes and it is waaaayyy more expensive to learn. I'm also aware acrylics are more difficult to learn, so gels is a good start. Maybe I'll take a course further down the road.

PS - My eyelash course was 8 hours and a pathetic excuse for a course. I learned more from reading, researching, and youtubing than anything!

No offense but this place sounds awful. I cant see how they can train students on types of tips, tip fitting for different shaped nails, tip shaping, sculpturing, overlays, tip enhancements, refills, rebalancing, filing techniques, free edge shapes and so much more, then everything on e filing and nail art in just 10 days. I wish you luck though.

No offense but this place sounds awful. I cant see how they can train students on types of tips, tip fitting for different shaped nails, tip shaping, sculpturing, overlays, tip enhancements, refills, rebalancing, filing techniques, free edge shapes and so much more, then everything on e filing and nail art in just 10 days. I wish you luck though.
No offense taken at all. :) I'll post again in September/October and let you know how it goes! I'm not too worried, I know a tech who has trained with this lady and she's very successful. I also know someone else who took her advanced art courses and was also pleased. Here's to hoping anyway!

I am doing gels only, with e-file training and nail art basics. The course takes 5 weeks of weekends (so 10 days). I've learned the hard way to research goo

Latest posts

Back