Need help with taking off a set of acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maureen long

Reaction score
Can anyone please help? I have to take off a set of acrylic for a fussy client on friday. :lol: I have taken off loads of sets on myself but they never seem to come of totally their are always bits left on the natural nail!!! What am i doing wrong?
First i etch the nails all over then i put solar oil in cuticle area i then soak them in acetone with the acetone dishes in bowls of hot water with a towel over top to stop fumes i soak them for about half an hour!!!!
Ist their something else i should be doing? Does anyone have any good tips?:(

maureen long said:
Can anyone please help? I have to take off a set of acrylic for a fussy client on friday. :lol: I have taken off loads of sets on myself but they never seem to come of totally their are always bits left on the natural nail!!! What am i doing wrong?
First i etch the nails all over then i put solar oil in cuticle area i then soak them in acetone with the acetone dishes in bowls of hot water with a towel over top to stop fumes i soak them for about half an hour!!!!
Ist their something else i should be doing? Does anyone have any good tips?:(
When I struggled with this I was not thinning the application enought prior to soaking, I tend to not just etch, but thin the overlay out using a 180 grit file...I hope this helps you.

I find that if you file down the free edge and then file all over then acrylic that is a great help, but i tend to wrap the nails in acetone soaked wipes then cover with foil. Each nail takes about 15 minutes to soak off completely.

Hiya,
I also after wrapping in foil place in a plastic liner and then into heated mitts, it keeps the clients hands warm and realy speeds up the removal process, usually takes about 15 mins, then unwrap one at at time and the product should just slide off!!!

Amanda

rather than using acetone, you could use product remover - I've been advised that it is much quicker - and when it is soft (which takes roughly 20mins) then get something like kitchen towel and rub at it to get the wee bits off. Haven't tried it myself yet - but I plan to do so as soon as I buy the product remover!

When I did l&p and removals patience was the watch word, the more you take it in and out of the acetone and fiddle with it the longer it takes. Also the thickness of your product will attribute to the length of time it takes.

vicky said:
I find that if you file down the free edge and then file all over then acrylic that is a great help, but i tend to wrap the nails in acetone soaked wipes then cover with foil. Each nail takes about 15 minutes to soak off completely.
thanks everyone!! is it just ordinary nail wipes which you soak in acetone yourself and is it just tin foil???? sorry if this is a stupid question but never done it that way before

Yep Maureen Nail wipes Soaked and good old tin foil :wink2:

maureen long said:
thanks everyone!! is it just ordinary nail wipes which you soak in acetone yourself and is it just tin foil???? sorry if this is a stupid question but never done it that way before

Hi Mauren, no question is ever stupid hun :hug: , I personally prefer to use tinting foil, i find it slightly stronger than standard household tin foil and the one that is sold at Dennis Williams comes in a little dispensor box about 3 inches across which is fab to take around if mobile or to sit on your desk if homebased..hth Fab

Hi,

I was taught to cut the fingers of latex gloves and tape these onto each finger after soaking half a makeup pad in acetone.

After an hour they are soaked off completely.

I took my enhancements off the other night using this technique but used a nitrile glove instead of a latex one and for some reason the acetone just evaporates completely - so just use latex gloves.

Should the fingers be in Acetone for that amount of time? I know when i take off my own or clients the the surrounding area dehydrate (not sure of spelling) and thats waiting 15 minutes.
Has it ever caused you problems doing it with the gloves?

Thanks Vicky
The Little Beauty Room said:
Hi,

I was taught to cut the fingers of latex gloves and tape these onto each finger after soaking half a makeup pad in acetone.

After an hour they are soaked off completely.

I took my enhancements off the other night using this technique but used a nitrile glove instead of a latex one and for some reason the acetone just evaporates completely - so just use latex gloves.

I use the bowl in bowl method, it used to take me an hour before (yawn) but now its approx 20 minutes. Why would you want to use the glove method if you could be doing it in a quarter of the time? x

Hi,

I use solaroil oil on each finger tip now as did find it dried out the skin.

By using this method and if you are in a salon enviroment you can have your client come in early to take a set off and they can sit and drink, read and use their mobile phone very easily.

I'm sorry, this was the way I was tought and its great.

Have yu tried a soak off machine, this speeds the time up considerably?

Hi,

Instead of using a nail wipe, I soak half a cotton wool ball in acetone, then use the foil method, I find the cotton wool stays put a bit better than wipes, and dosn't touch the surrounding skin. If this is the wrong thing to do, please let me know.

christine.

vicky said:
Should the fingers be in Acetone for that amount of time? I know when i take off my own or clients the the surrounding area dehydrate (not sure of spelling) and thats waiting 15 minutes.
Is product remover the same as acetone? I was led to believe that normal acetone is not very good to use and that the tip remover has re-hydration properties to protect the nails? Can anyone clarify as I know acetone is very much cheaper.
Thanks

Have you tried a search on this as i am sure Geeg answered a similar post not so long ago?

I think the tip remover is buffered acetone.

Hope this helps.

Julie

Latest posts

Back