Newbie seeking nail tech training advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainbowstar

Reaction score
Hi there, hope you don't mind me asking but you all seem very friendly and helpful! I am a complete novice and want to retrain as a nail technician.

However, I am a bit confused by the choice of training providers. I have read on other forums that EZflow and NSI are good, but what about the others such as backscratchers, top talons, creative, pronails, star nails etc? While cost and location will no doubt play a part in my decision, I am most concerned about getting reliable training which will allow me to do a great set of nails (after practise, of course!) and get the appropriate insurance to offer my services.

I understand that some training providers tie you into certain products which end up being expensive, is this true? Also, not sure which system to train in first from acrylic, UVgel etc.

Finally, I know from reading the other threads that it's recommended to gain salon experience after training and before going mobile. I have 2 pre-schoolers and number 3 is due in 6 weeks time (eek!), so will be quite limited about the hours I can work - is it likely a salon would take someone just on a Saturday?? On the same topic, are there any particular training providers who a salon would/would not recognise, as obviously I don't want to spend money on training if a salon wouldn't take me on after completion.

Phew, I am REALLY SORRY if you get posts like this a lot, I just really need some advice before I make an expensive mistake - I REALLY want to make a go of this and want to get off to the best start possible!!

Thanks a lot in advance....XXX

Hi, and a big welcome to the site.......you can search on the site under training and you will get a wealth of information........As far as Creative Nail Design are concerned we have several training courses and venues in Scotland......where in Scotland are you?

Hi Isabel, thanks a lot for replying! Thanks for letting me know about the search facility, I am going to make my way through all the relevant info over the next few days. I am in Inverkeithing in Fife, is there any training nearby that would suit me do you think? Nikki XXX

rainbowstar said:
Hi Isabel, thanks a lot for replying! Thanks for letting me know about the search facility, I am going to make my way through all the relevant info over the next few days. I am in Inverkeithing in Fife, is there any training nearby that would suit me do you think? Nikki XXX

Nikki, I would suggest you speak to the individual companies you have listed,
1. find out what they are offering in terms of training/theory/practical,etc. 2.what costs are involved 3. what you get for your money 4.what follow-up there will be in terms of support and also further education 5.how the training locations, dates, etc fit in with your own life............ and FINALLY you should have a FEELING about what training will be best for you and your circumstances. I will pm you with my details should you wish further advice.

I was in a simular dilema last year. I have 4 children and didnt want to return to my job of running a hostel for the homeless after maternity leave. I had been doing my own nails and friends for a few years with no formal traning. I loved it so decided that was the way to go. After making alot of enquiries i went with Naughty Nails, British nail academy. They are fantastic. They will not pass you if you are not up to standard but the help that they give you you would not be cut out for nails if you failed. It doesnt end there they give you thier back up and any questions or problems that you have after that they are at the end of the phone. They use Cesars Secrets which is a great product range. I am going to start my NVQ with them soon. In my book its the best money i have ever spent. They have a web site; www.naughtynails.co.uk and www.cesarssecrets.co.uk . It is a mine field out there and i have heard and seen horror stories. Good luck in your search.( Thier base is Manchester but they have other training venues. Contact them to find your nearest.)

what ever you choose good luck hun.

xxx

Sounds like you already have soem good advice hun.

whatever and whoever you choose with three kids you are going to have your hands full, so why not just work from home until they are a little bigger then think about going into a salon when it fits in with your lifestyle a bit better.
x

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to you all for taking the time to give me your advice - there's still a lot to choose from but I feel as though I have a bit more info under my belt now, and have taken the first step in the right direction.

I am really excited about becoming a nail tech, and hope to speak to you all on the forum in future!

Lots of love, Nikki XXX

rainbowstar said:
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to you all for taking the time to give me your advice - there's still a lot to choose from but I feel as though I have a bit more info under my belt now, and have taken the first step in the right direction.

I am really excited about becoming a nail tech, and hope to speak to you all on the forum in future!

Lots of love, Nikki XXX

Hi there,

Just thought I would drop you this link, it is a site where you can get information from for all types of nail tech courses.

The courses are all train from home courses.

** URL removed by GMG. Advertising, affiliate and tracking links are not permited **

Hope this helps.

Regards

dishyxx

yes essential nails is great and they also allow you to pay for training in instalments

Latest posts

Back