Performing Rights Society

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Glynis*

Gooner Geek
Reaction score
Did anyone else receive a letter this morning from the Performing Rights Society?

Apparently they are targetting salons at the moment. It looks as if it will cost £61 per year to play the radio in your salon. According the the website only 33% of salons in this country currently have a licence.

Just have some CD's on display and tell them you only listen to them and not the radio. Personally I think that is such a load of c**p, what the heck is the radio for but to listen to??? Just another government ploy to rob the public!

You would have to have the same licence to play CDs!

I got the letter through this morning, didn't bother reading it!!!!!!!! Did it apply to home salons?

Sassy Hassy said:
I got the letter through this morning, didn't bother reading it!!!!!!!! Did it apply to home salons?

That's what I was wondering - not had any letter - surely if I have the radio on in the house and I just happen to be able to hear it in my salon, I couldnt be to blame for that now could I LOL.

Yes it applies to home salons as well, there was a thread on this ages ago. Basically you do have to pay to have music played in you salon, which also includes music channels such as MTV etc. Going to try and find the thread then post the link

Saw this on my local news the other day, apparently the only way round it is if you and the client wear headphones and they were filiming in a hairdressers!

thats rubbish

so does that mean cafes have to pay and sunbed centres ooh and evertime i have my car fixed the radio is on ......what next hey!!!!!

bubbabinks said:
Saw this on my local news the other day, apparently the only way round it is if you and the client wear headphones and they were filiming in a hairdressers!

I don't understand what difference this would make. Is it because it is only the two of you then listening? If so I only have one client at a time in my home salon so would that make a difference.

Also, as Sassy says, my hi-fi is technically in my utility room, it can of course be heard loud and clear in the salon. The utility room is obviously in my house and therefore surely covered by our TV licence.

Trinity Nails said:
I work from home and spoke to both licencing people, because I do not pay business rates for any part of my home, I'm not classed as a business premises and therefore do not have to pay.

Unfortunately I do pay business rates for my salon even thought it is part of our house because it is soley used for that purpose.

lisa30 said:
thats rubbish

so does that mean cafes have to pay and sunbed centres ooh and evertime i have my car fixed the radio is on ......what next hey!!!!!

Yes apparently they all should be paying!

I will have to ring them on Monday I suppose.

Does this include the relaxing CD's (what I jokingly call "whale music") that I play? Surely they are made to be heard in a salon?

You can buy "royalty free" Cd's and then you don't have to have a licence. Unfortunately a lot of them are "whale music" as mentioned before. I've bought them from ebay - some are ok.

Jan

I was fortunate and have not had the PRS round.

I however bought a batch of licence free music CDs from a stand at the Manchester Beauty Show last month and they are really tranquil and relaxing. The good thing was that I was able to listen to it prior to buying, so I made sure it wasn't 'whale music'.

I have also ensured that the radio is no longer played and other CDs we previously had are not on site. If I get a visit from the PRS then I am now compliant.

I was also informed that the PRS try to send you on a bit of a guilt trip about paying artists for their hard work in making music and they should be compensated for it. With the licence free music you are paying a musician who would not otherwise get a big record deal so I feel it is comparable to supporting a small local business.

You need PPL and PRS licences to play any music or to have a TV etc. in your business... All businesses need these - they aren't "targeting" salons, it's a cost of running a business that plays other people's music. It affects everyone from salons, to home businesses where the public attend, to cafe's, restaurants, bars, hotels, Drs clinics, shops...

It's got nothing to do with the government at all. It's there to protect music artists, songwriters etc.

If you don't pay, you will be fined. The choice is yours really. The only other alternative is to buy licence free music, but I believe even that can sometimes be a grey area. If you don't want to pay or risk a fine, don't play music.

This came up before

http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/22490-licence-play-radio.html?highlight=Performing+++Rights

I work from home and spoke to both licencing people, because I do not pay business rates for any part of my home, I'm not classed as a business premises and therefore do not have to pay.

Also my radio is not actually in my salon, it's in my lounge but you can hear it in the salon.

HTH

I have a home salon, I do not pay business rates but I have had to purchase a PRS licence for the last two years

I have a home salon, I do not pay business rates but I have had to purchase a PRS licence for the last two years

I would guess the difference is that my radio is not in my salon it's in the hallway outside the bathroom but you can hear it in the salon (spare room) in fact you can hear it all over the house, it's a small house :lol:

If I buy ichill cd's do I still need to pay the licence fees?

Just have some CD's on display and tell them you only listen to them and not the radio. Personally I think that is such a load of c**p, what the heck is the radio for but to listen to??? Just another government ploy to rob the public!

I am quite offended by your response to this. I think it's rather immature and narrow minded of you. How is it a load of crap? Performance Rights are there for a reason. My partner is a professional musican, as are many of my friends and these rules are there to protect them and make sure that they earn what they are entitled to.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I am quite offended by your response to this. I think it's rather immature and narrow minded of you. How is it a load of crap? Performance Rights are there for a reason. My partner is a professional musican, as are many of my friends and these rules are there to protect them and make sure that they earn what they are entitled to.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek
Surely if someone buys a cd then they are in effect paying for the right to play them? They do also target other business's as I have owned a cafe on an industrial estate and they did the rounds there. You don't need a license to listen to talk sport, but that is no use to us!! I'm offended that there isn't much free in our free country!! Surely we are being squeezed enough without adding to our out goings.

Surely if someone buys a cd then they are in effect paying for the right to play them? I'm offended that there isn't much free in our free country!! Surely we are being squeezed enough without adding to our out goings.

I agree totally. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back